U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 07:06 PM

16,106 posts, read 30,950,171 times

Advertisements

Here is how I make my mac and cheese:

1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of Wondra or flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 cups half and half
2 cups milk
2 blocks of 10 oz each sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 block of 10 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
16 oz elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
topping, as desired

Make a roux out of butter and flour (stir constantly over medium heat), then add seasonings. Once it is mixed well then add the half and half and the milk. Keep stirring constantly for 8 minutes or so until thickened. Add in the grated cheddar cheese. Stir all together and then add in the macaroni cheese. Once all mixed together pour into a previously buttered or greased 9 x 13 pan.

I like a topping so I then add Panko crumbs. Sometimes I pour melted butter on top of this. You can also use bread crumbs, whatever.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 10:52 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,566,452 times
My basic roux recipe is 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp flour, 1 cup milk. Multiply as needed. Very easy to remember.

I also keep a pack of frozen chopped onions in my freezer on hand for times like this when you just want a little.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:19 PM

440 posts, read 1,642,066 times
This is the BEST MAC and CHEESE Recipe ever!!..Hi.. When you try it tell me how you liked it!!!!Enjoy!!

1 pound elbow Macaroni
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
5 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 (12 oz.) cans evaporated milk
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon dry mustard
8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded(about 2 cups)
5 ounces American cheese shredded (about 1and1/4 cups)
2 ounces monterey jack cheese shredded(about 3/4 cup)

Bring 4 quarts water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt and macaroni to boiling water and cook until al dente about 7 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water then drain and rinse macaroni in colander under cold water.Set aside.

Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in the pot you cooked the macaroni over high heat until foaming. Stir in the flour and cook stirring constantly until mixture is a light brown, about 1 minute.Slowly whisk in evaporated milk,hot sauce,nutmeg,dry mustard and 2 teaspoons salt and cook until mixture begins to simmer and is slightly thickened, about 4 minutes.Off heat whisk in cheeses and reserved cooking water until cheese melts. Stir in the macaroni until completely coated. Transfer macaroni to 13 by 9 inch baking dish and top with bread crumb topping. Bake until cheese is bubbling around edges and top is golden brown, 20 t0 25 minutes. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Bread crumb topping

3 slices hearty white sandwich bread torn into large pieces.
4 tablespoons unsalted butter..1/2 stick
1/2 ounce parmesan cheese, grated....1/4 cup

for the bread crumb topping.Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Pulse bread,melted butter,and parmesan cheese to coarse crumbs.Transfer to a bowl..

I didn't use the topping and did not use the hot sauce or nutmeg because my family does not like them. Do not use the single slices of American cheese. Go and buy a block from the deli..The the single slices make the mac and cheese drier...Hop you enjoy...My friends in Canada said they preferred it right out of the pot...Didn't even bake it!!!!!!.. Hope you get to try it this weekend.. .

Old 11-28-2010, 07:34 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,095,041 times
I make a Mac and cheese caserole, Layering the pasta with the cheese and butter ending with a layer of pasta and cornflake crumbs and Evaporated milk..
This is grandmas recipie it's been around forever, one of these days I'll make some using a roux, I think i'd like a cheese sauce better..

Old 11-28-2010, 08:49 AM

13,250 posts, read 41,499,591 times
I use cavatappi instead of regular elbows. Cavatappi are lined double-elbows that are twisted together to form spiralling squiggles. They hold the cheese sauce SO nicely...

Old 12-01-2010, 11:30 AM

16,233 posts, read 25,815,025 times
Does anyone have a recipe for crock pot mac n cheese? I remember someone mentioning such a thing, but I've never tried this.

Typically, I use the recipe on the Wondra box and top with buttered panko crumbs before baking. I'd love to try a recipe that just slops everything in the crock pot and you "set it and forget it".

Old 12-02-2010, 07:24 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,035,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Does anyone have a recipe for crock pot mac n cheese? I remember someone mentioning such a thing, but I've never tried this.
crock pot macaroni and cheese

But personally, I'm in the Roux camp (Shame on everyone who spelled it "rue", that was soooo two thousand and late...)

I make a roux, build it up with milk, then add in the cheeze to basically make a cheese sauce. Fold it into the cooked elbows, and reserve about a third of the cheeze. Half of that gets mixed in at the last minute, and the other half gets sprinked on top. Bake until bubbly and starting to brown.

Wonder if the OP still visits this thread?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:07 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,566,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
crock pot macaroni and cheese

But personally, I'm in the Roux camp (Shame on everyone who spelled it "rue", that was soooo two thousand and late...)

I make a roux, build it up with milk, then add in the cheeze to basically make a cheese sauce. Fold it into the cooked elbows, and reserve about a third of the cheeze. Half of that gets mixed in at the last minute, and the other half gets sprinked on top. Bake until bubbly and starting to brown.

Wonder if the OP still visits this thread?
does the cheese still brown up in the crockpot?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:20 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,205,867 times
Has anyone tried adding cream cheese to any of these recipes?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:45 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,102,613 times
Wow late poster and can't believe the quest for mac n cheese. Ok, I'm the official mac n cheese provider of any holiday gatherings.....It's all in the roux,,,,,I like diversity of cheese just not ALL about the cheese! Otherwise you get that commercial crap. I do add velveeta to perfect roux then add the real cheeses. Gotta make it like grandma and make it more like scalloped potatoes...........creamy with some cheese!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes