Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 03:33 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

I find that having a tub of deli type of salad in the fridge is a good way to get my family to eat a lot of fresh veggies. You know the sort of thing: coleslaw, 3 bean salad, and that wonderful broccoli red grape salad.

What do you guys do for fresh easy salads that can be all made up and waiting in the fridge for hungry people to grab a scoop and put it on their plate?

(I do potato salad sometimes, but really, I know I am lying to myself about that counting as a veggie)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 12:17 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
I don't really consider it eating veggies if it came out of a can, or if it's doused in dressing/fats. Whatever benefit that cabbage in the coleslaw may have provided is masked by all the artery clogging mayo.

I usually have washed and ready to consume greens on hand in the fridge for impromptu salads, or a quick wilted spinach or braised kale.

Fresh raw veggies like carrots, red bell pepper, raw broccoli and cauliflower, cucumber slices, grape tomatoes served with a nice hummus dip or homemade ranch using Greek yogurt is also a quick veggie fix. Works for parties too.

For a healthier version of a deli salad favorite, I toss tri-color corkscrew pasta with chopped black olives, broccoli, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions and sometimes even chopped pepperoni or Italian hard salami with a homemade Italian dressing (and using heart-healthy olive oil). The recipe is flexible, I've seen some put chopped raw carrots, green onions, purple cabbage even.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:30 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
For a healthier version of a deli salad favorite, I toss tri-color corkscrew pasta with chopped black olives, broccoli, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions and sometimes even chopped pepperoni or Italian hard salami with a homemade Italian dressing (and using heart-healthy olive oil). The recipe is flexible, I've seen some put chopped raw carrots, green onions, purple cabbage even.

DontH8me, you just reminded me I have some vegetable bow tie pasta (carrot, squash). I think I'll make a nice pasta salad tonight.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:20 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I make my own cole slaw, I buy the bag of shredded cole slaw and add 2/3 cup mayo, 2 tbsp cider vinegar and 1 tbsp sugar, pinch of salt and pepper, Mix well and refrigerate. I make a pasta salad using tri-colored rotini pasta, black olives, cubed up mozzarella, thinly sliced red bell pepper, chopped sweet onion, 1 bottle Italian dressing(not the creamy one) 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp Italian seasoning.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:31 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
For a healthier version of a deli salad favorite, I toss tri-color corkscrew pasta with chopped black olives, broccoli, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions and sometimes even chopped pepperoni or Italian hard salami with a homemade Italian dressing (and using heart-healthy olive oil). The recipe is flexible, I've seen some put chopped raw carrots, green onions, purple cabbage even...
Aside from the deli meats, add fresh mushrooms and diced red bell peppers and that makes my pasta salad. I also add lemon pepper and shredded (not canned) parmesan cheese. Preparing all the veges takes time, but it tastes so good. I add half the dressing as I prepare it....then refrigerate the salad. Right before serving, I add the rest of the dressing. I hate dry pasta salads.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:26 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Pepper slaw!

Pepper Slaw Recipe - Food.com - 62705

Old 10-23-2012, 10:45 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Marinated pasta salad:

Tri colored Wacki Mac rotini pasta
Broccoli florettes cut really small teaspoon size-I dont cook them when I make it but the wife likes to par boil them when she does
cubed roasted red peppers in the jar not pickeled just in water
green olives halved
black olives halved
grape tomatos halved or the small cherry tomatos whole
marinated articoke hearts halved-Costco Kirkland brand
Canned low salt kidney beans rinsed
quartered Mazzetta peperoncinis
cubed bitesize low fat mozzarella
grated romano cheese-has more kick than parmesan
peppered salami slices strip cut
diced purple onion
Red pepper flakes-we save the little packets from pizza night for just this occasion.

Make your own italian/balsamic vinegrette or use a good cheap dressing like Wish Bone Italian. I make a killer vinegrette but for some reason the Wish Bone Italian really gives it a Commercial Deli salad taste so we use that for just this salad.

I didnt specify quantities as you can work that out your self. I try to get an even amount of all the items so each serving has a little of everything.

I have a buddy who owns a sandwich shop and I made him this salad for a super bowl party about 10 years ago. Needless to say he stole it and it's one of his best sellers.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:55 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
i LOVE cold salads! The hubby, not so much. But he puts up with them. I make them all the time as side dishes in the summertime. I don't buy them however, scary stuff in them usually!

Old 10-29-2012, 12:04 PM

One of the ones my family will eat is chopped raw cauliflower, roasted peanuts, and that sesame salad dressing that Costco sells.

The dressing is fairly inexpensive, tastes good, and looks suspiciously like it it mostly water. so the salad isn't soaked in fat. The salad might not sound terribly interesting, but it is quite tasty and crunchy.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:07 PM

We also like a French potato salad. Sliced potatoes, green onions, and a plain oil and vinegar dressing: olive oil, red vinegar, salt and pepper.

I don't make that too often because of the carbs in the potatoes, but it is delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes