Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:47 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! I'm googling this but thought I would also ask here. My husband bought a turkey breast from Wegmans and wants to cook it on our gas BBQ. It's packaged and says it was "never frozen" if that matters. It's about 4 pounds. Do I just rub spices on it and wrap in aluminum foil? If so, what spices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 10:39 AM

438 posts, read 1,698,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Hi guys! I'm googling this but thought I would also ask here. My husband bought a turkey breast from Wegmans and wants to cook it on our gas BBQ. It's packaged and says it was "never frozen" if that matters. It's about 4 pounds. Do I just rub spices on it and wrap in aluminum foil? If so, what spices?
Is your grill charcoal or gas? Either way you want to cook it "indirect" and you do not need to foil. Have the flame on one side of the grill only and make sure the turkey breast is on the other side of the grill with no flame underneath. I like to cook my chickens or turkeys at around 300-350 degrees so it renders down the skin. I like to brine mine before cooking at least for 10 hours no more then 24 hours. You will want to cook till the meat reaches an internal temp of 165-170 and then let it rest before you slice. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2012, 06:49 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Agreed. Do not wrap in foil. That just steam-cooks the turkey instead of allowing it to roast in the dry heat of the grill.

I did a whole 20 pound turkey last year on my brother's big gas grill, and everyone though it was the best one ever, a little smoky and very moist. I used the end burners only, put a drip pan under the bird, and basted it with olive oil to help start the browning and later basted it with pan drippings.

Use a thermometer. It's your friend.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:39 AM

It's one of those little Weber gas grills where you don't get a choice of which burner to turn on. (A Q 320 if you know weber grills.) Just a little bit bigger than a hibachi. Not sure how I will make the heat indirect, but I have a disposable roasting pan that I could put the turkey breast in--good for drippings and maybe would help make the heat indirect? Or would a drip pan with lower sides be better?

Or, maybe not worry about it--chicken is very moist and tender when cooked on this grill so maybe turkey will be great too.

Do I baste with the olive oil every few minutes or maybe just once or twice?

It's 4 pounds so cook for about an hour, right? Then check the temp?

Sorry for so many questions, but google wasn't very helpful.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 AM

A roasting pan would work...not sure you can cook indirect on the Weber Q unless it's a 2 burner, but something you can do is roll up balls of tin foil and place them on the bottom of the roasting pan to "lift" the turkey breast off the bottom of the roasting pan, that way it is off the direct heat. Loosen the skin on the turkey breast so you can get your hand underneath it. From there you can rub unsalted butter or olive oil and your seasonings directly on the meat, also make sure to olive oil or butter the outside skin.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,567 times
put some butter, and can mix herbs with butter, under the skin. Then I'd just grill it at about 350-375. Skin side down, imho. Can add some butter on underside, or top how ever you look at it.

Hot and fast is my suggestion on that grill.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner0325 View Post
A roasting pan would work...not sure you can cook indirect on the Weber Q unless it's a 2 burner, but something you can do is roll up balls of tin foil and place them on the bottom of the roasting pan to "lift" the turkey breast off the bottom of the roasting pan, that way it is off the direct heat. .
I'm going to try the balled up foil suggestion--I'm intrigued to see if it'll work and I'll let you guys know how it went. How long do you think I should cook it before checking the temp? About an hour?

Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
I wouldn't do it on that type of grill as you will most likely dry it out by the time it's done because you will be cooking over direct heat. Imagine putting your bird in the oven directly on the rack over the element.

If you do then put it in a small foil roasting pan with the small balls of poil underneath and put some liquid in the bottom under the bird.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm going to try the balled up foil suggestion--I'm intrigued to see if it'll work and I'll let you guys know how it went. How long do you think I should cook it before checking the temp? About an hour?
If you can get the temp around 325 degrees on the grill, I would check internal temp after an hour yes..

Old 11-08-2012, 03:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
What I've done when i only had burners directly under... I used two identical pans, put the first one down, put aluminum foil balls in the corners, set the second pan on top of those balls. By creating an air gap between the pan the heat is now all indirect.

Skin side up. Baste when you start, then after 20 and 40 minutes, check temp at 40 (in case grill is hotter than you think) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes