Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:20 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times

Advertisements

Just wondering. I see lots of recipes out there online but would like to try one that someone else has used before and can vouch for it! I have never made it before. This will be my first time and I want it to be super great!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 PM

No one? Well poo!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times
Well, some of us do have day jobs....

This one is a long-time favorite, and while it can be a bit of a pain to handle, the result (both flavor and appearance) makes it well worthwhile, in my opinion.

Pumpkin Roll-Ups

Pastry:
3 eggs
1 c. granulated sugar
2/3 c. pumpkin puree
1 tsp. lemon juice
3 / 4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. fine-chopped walnuts or pecans
Confectioner's sugar

Preheat oven to 375. Grease & flour a 10x15x1-inch jellyroll pan.

Beat eggs with an electric mixer on high speed for five minutes. While beating, gradually add the granulated sugar. Stir in the pumpkin puree and lemon juice.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, spices and salt. Using a rubber spatula, fold the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, using the spatula to smooth it out evenly into all corners. Sprinkle the finely chopped nuts over the batter. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.

While cake is baking, lay a clean dishtowel on a work surface and sprinkle generously with confectioner's sugar. As soon as the cake is out of the oven, run a knife blade around the edges of the pan to loosen it, and carefully invert the cake onto the towel.

Using the towel, roll the hot cake up jelly-roll fashion. If preparing as a primary dessert for a small gathering, start from one of the narrow ends (result is ten or so larger pieces); if preparing as a snack for a larger crowd, roll from one of the longer sides (result is 16 or so smaller pieces). Allow the rolled-up cake to cool completely, at least several hours, preferably overnight.

Filling:
1 c. confectioner's sugar
1/4 c. butter at room temperature
2 (3 oz.) pkgs cream cheese at room temp.
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix all filling ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth. Unroll the cake and pull the towel away. The cake may split as you unroll it; don't worry, the filling will glue it all back together. Spread evenly with the filling. Roll the filled cake (without the towel) back up again.

Wrap the rolled cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours or overnight.

To serve, remove the plastic wrap and with a serrated knife, slice into 1" thick slices.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
Default I've been looking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
No one? Well poo!

for my old recipe but I cannot find it anywhere. I used to make these years ago for my Mom who absolutely loved them but she's been gone 14 years, so it has been at least that long since I saw my recipe or made one of them. I have been looking this evening, to no avail. Sorry.....but I am sending you a link to Taste of Home Pumpkin rolls - the picture looks like the finished product did and the ingredients are pretty much like I remember, but of course I have no idea now of the measurements. I will say this, I have used TOH recipe site for many years and I have NEVER been disappointed at how something turned out. There is a TON of good stuff on this site and I have some of the old cookbooks too. I do remember that the rolling part was the hardest for me, and if it will be your first time - just be patient. It may take you a couple of tries to get it right. They do freeze very well, so if you make several you can keep them frozen as long as they are well wrapped. They are handy to set out if you have company drop by especially over the holidays. Anyways, here's the link: Pumpkin Cake Roll Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes. If you do try this let me know how it turns out. In the meantime, I will keep looking. Good luck!!!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,211 times
The above recipe is exactly my recipe. The only things I do differently..... I cut parchment paper exactly to fit the pan and then grease and flour the parchment paper. I find it easy to get out of the pan. Make sure the towel is a thin one to enable the roll to be tighter. I use an old thin flour sack type towel and make sure it has a fair amount of powdered sugar sprinkled over the towel, clear to the edges where the baked pumpkin sheet will be. Make sure the roll is absolutely cool.....wait for at least an hour to unroll.

Sometimes I make a bit more filling by increasing the cream cheese a bit (buy an 8 oz package) and add a tiny bit more margarine and more powdered sugar to compensate.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
The above recipe is exactly my recipe. The only things I do differently..... I cut parchment paper exactly to fit the pan and then grease and flour the parchment paper. I find it easy to get out of the pan. Make sure the towel is a thin one to enable the roll to be tighter. I use an old thin flour sack type towel and make sure it has a fair amount of powdered sugar sprinkled over the towel, clear to the edges where the baked pumpkin sheet will be. Make sure the roll is absolutely cool.....wait for at least an hour to unroll.

Sometimes I make a bit more filling by increasing the cream cheese a bit (buy an 8 oz package) and add a tiny bit more margarine and more powdered sugar to compensate.
The first recipe or the second one?

Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 PM

[quote=Pikantari;26932062]The first recipe or the second one?[/quote

oops....the one MidwesternBookWorm posted

Old 11-16-2012, 08:32 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I'm not at home, but I will put my recipe on later. What I can tell you, though, is I NEVER put powdered sugar on the dish towel. All you get then is a soggy mess. It is not necessary.
I also use parchment paper on the baking sheet, and let the roll cool totally before spreading the filling.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm not at home, but I will put my recipe on later. What I can tell you, though, is I NEVER put powdered sugar on the dish towel. All you get then is a soggy mess. It is not necessary.
I also use parchment paper on the baking sheet, and let the roll cool totally before spreading the filling.
Thanks. I am going to bring it to my SOs parents for Thanksgiving, probably make it tomorrow or this evening.

Do you guys think I should refrigerate it or freeze it? We will be leaving Wednesday evening and it is a 4 hour trip.

Same with my banana nut bread. Making it today. Should I put it in the fridge or the freezer?

Old 11-16-2012, 09:16 AM

Freezer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes