Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times

Advertisements

You know what I mean. Crumbling hard butter into flour until it's a cornmeal texture, as opposed to bringing the butter to room temp first?

Well, I did that for this "Cherry Raisin Loaf" thing I made. At the end, I went to cut into it and it just crumbled. It didn't hold as a piece of bread at all. It was just crumbs.
I honestly don't think I did anything wrong, because I followed it to the letter, and it ended up a "stiff batter" at the end, just as the recipe suggested it would. And I cooked it the right amount of time.

In all fairness, the bread IS still warm. heheh
Is it imperative for bread to cool completely if you "cut the butter in" as opposed to blending?

I've never had bread do that before. And cutting the butter was the only thing I did that was out of the ordinary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 01:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
It's hard to tell without more details... was this a yeast bread, or baking powder?... did you get all the quantities right? did you use the right kind of flour? did you leave anything out? did you warm the batter to room temperature?... but in general when the crumb (the inside of a loaf) doesn't hold together it's because the gluten didn't develop properly. So if everything else checks out, that's what I would look into. Sometimes adding a tablespoon full of lemon juice or vinegar can help that.

Good luck

Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,031 times
It sounds like you might have used too much flour if it's a yeast bread. Too much flour will make it crumble or if you allowed it to rise more than double that might have made it crumble. And, perhaps you didn't knead it enough to let the gluten develop. Perhaps next time use bread flour too....it's finer and will give more texture. Using a serated knife or an electric knife to cut cooled bread will reduce the amount of crumbles. I agree that we really need more defined information about the type of bread you made.

Cutting in butter adds layers of flakiness to the item you are making. I don't cut in butter when I make bread (except for my angel biscuits which use yeast, salt, baking powder and baking soda as leavenings)

Old 11-15-2012, 02:24 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
No, it isn't a yeast bread. Thank you for the wisdom, though.
And actually, the question answered itself. As it cooled, yes, I was able to cut it into slices that held together. LOL

Just have patience....

As for ingredients, I don't have them in front of me, but it called for:

2 cups sifted flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1/2 c. buttermilk, 2 egg yolks beaten, pinch of salt, some sugar, 1 cup marachino cherries, 1/2 cup raisins... that's about the gist of it. Give or take a couple other things I'm forgetting to mention.

It's a recipe I got out of a 1978 edition of my hometown newspaper, submitted by some lady.

I'll remember that about the flakiness, and about the lemon juice/vinegar trick. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes