Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 04:18 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,162,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I got one from Santa about 3 years ago and though we have them every couple of weeks, I am not satisfied at all, so I have no advise for you. OH, we like them, but they just don't get crisp enough..I use packaged mix, maybe I should start from scratch...
Is your iron coated with a non stick coating? I've found that those never seem to get hot enough to create a nice crisp crust. Try a cast iron waffle iron. I have this one and it works great! It won't make huge Belgium style waffles and you're limited to making one at a time, but they hold plenty of butter and syrup and have a crispy crust.

If you look, I'm sure you can find a CI Belgium waffle maker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 09:17 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,660,677 times
I gave up on waffles for a while until I found my Noridic waffle iron years ago. Sadly, my husband doesn't like pancakes or waffles so when I do make them, I put some in the freezer so I can have them later.

I can't wait to try some of the recipes on this thread! Thanks for posting.

Is this the HRM waffle recipe previously mentioned by another poster?

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/279...ll_recipe=true

Last edited by Heidi60; 11-15-2013 at 09:57 AM..

Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
I recently bought a waffle maker, and made the mistake of making pumpkin waffles, the batter got all stuck in the grates. It was a mess to clean out.

I also made my own waffle batter, it was heavy. I bought Krusteaz mix, and the waffles were much better. Much.

Sticking with the mix.

I decided on the Presto waffle model, as it can be stored upright.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:49 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
Well It has been about a year since i started this thread and by now I consider myself pretty proficient in waffle making. I think I have used it every weekend. I complained about how much space it took up on the counter and tried pulling it out every time I needed it but that got old. I put up some other things I don't use as much and it is working our fine.

I used some fancy mixes for awhile and then decided they were too expensive. I saw Ree Drummond use cake flour in her pancakes and tried it in waffles and it works just fine.

I find using frozen fruit in the batter tends to make the waffles take too long to cook. So I zap them-usually blueberries from the summer- in the microwave a bit first. This makes them a little juicy which gives the batter a nice color. Or sometimes I just zap frozen fruit with butter and syrup for topping and basically get the same thing.

The above HRM recipe is really interesting. 4 eggs is alot and sour cream seems interesting. I might try it.

I guess I get best results with regular flour instead of any mix -even bisquick or anunt jemina which I think is the mix which was just dumped in the box with no inside plastic liner. I didn't like that. I'm happy with my Waring Waffle Maker . My kids share one and then I cook DH's with their waffle. I get them all settled and then I make my own. Sometimes I turn the oven to 250 and store cooked waffles with wax paper between them but that is more trouble than it is worth.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I recently bought a waffle maker, and made the mistake of making pumpkin waffles, the batter got all stuck in the grates. It was a mess to clean out.

I also made my own waffle batter, it was heavy. I bought Krusteaz mix, and the waffles were much better. Much.

Sticking with the mix.

I decided on the Presto waffle model, as it can be stored upright.
Jasper- I made pumpkin pancakes last weekend for company and they were a real hit. Haven't tried them in the waffle maker yet. I was using Krusteaz as well but flour with a little extra milk if I think the batter is too heavy. or extra oil which makes them crispy.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:12 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,660,677 times
I made Gerania's recipe yesterday and they were wonderful, light and crispy.

I also like to experiment by adding different types of flour, such as oat flour, to vary the flavor of pancakes and waffles. (to get oat flour, just toss some oats in the blender a whirl away for moment)

Old 11-25-2013, 09:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
I make waffles every time my grandchildren visit and this is the family's favorite recipe - These waffles are not CRISP but they are very light and delicious. The cottage cheese gives them a uniquely tender sort of texture and a rich flavor:

Rate And Review Creamy Cottage Cheese Waffles Recipe - Food.com - 116919

Like others have said, the key to successful waffles is a fastidiously clean and thoroughly heated up waffle iron.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:18 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,646 times
A Waffle; The food that cannot make up it's mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes