Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:49 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times

Advertisements

A friend just gave me ALOT of white quinoa. I did a search for recipes, but thought I'd see if anyone here has a "tried and true" recipe they can share. I have red quinoa already, so if your recipe calls to mix the red and white, I'd be interested in that as well. Do they taste different from each other? Thanks for any new ideas!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 09:47 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I have never seen red quinoa, but I would assume that preparation can't be all that different than the regular kind. Rinse the quinoa in a strainer before adding to double as much stock (when it is boiling) and simmer until much of the liquid is absorbed. You'll know it's done because the little "tail" curls off the grain).

There is a restaurant in Santa Monica that serves it with zucchini and onion (which I believe they saute first, then toss with the cooked quinoa). It's actually the first place I ever had quinoa - and I am hooked ever since (especially since it is far more nutritious than most grains).

Here is a link to my favorite quinoa recipe - and I recommend the site for other Peruvian recipes if you are into Peruvian cooking (quinoa is an old Inca staple). Every recipe I have tried from this website has been phenomenal.

QUINOA COVERED CRISPY SHRIMPS WITH ORANGE SYRUP (http://www.yanuq.com/english/buscador.asp?idreceta=849 - broken link)

(If you click on the little camera icon next to the recipe title, you can see a photo of the finished product.)

Old 10-16-2007, 11:46 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
These are my favorite quinoa recipes (I have never tried the red kind).

Spiced carrot and zucchini quinoa (Bon Appétit )
Makes 8 servings.

4 cups water
2 cups quinoa, rinsed well, drained
2 tablespoons dried currants
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium carrots, peeled, cut into small cubes
2 medium zucchini, trimmed, cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon Hungarian sweet paprika
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Combine first 4 ingredients in heavy large saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat, add carrots; sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini; sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Mix in paprika and cinnamon. Add quinoa to skillet; toss to blend. Season with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Transfer to baking dish. Cover and chill. Rewarm, covered, in 350°F oven about 15 minutes. Mix in cilantro and serve.

Quinoa and Black Bean Salad (Gourmet Magazine)

1 1/2 cups quinoa
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed, if canned
1 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups cooked corn (cut from about 2 large ears)
3/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
2 pickled jalpeno chilies, seeded and minced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander

For dressing
5 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin, or to taste
1/3 cup olive oil

In a bowl wash quinoa in at least 5 changes cold water, rubbing grains and letting them settle Before pouring off most of water, until water runs clear and drain in a large fine sieve. In a saucepan of salted boiling water cook quinoa 10 minutes. Drain quinoa in sieve and rinse under cold water. Set sieve over a saucepan of boiling water (quinoa should not touch water) and steam quinoa, covered with a kitchen towel and lid, until fluffy and dry, about 10 minutes (check water level in kettle occasionally, adding water if necessary). While quinoa is cooking, in a small bowl toss beans with vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and cool. Add beans, corn, bell pepper, jalapeno, and coriander and toss well. Make dressing: In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, salt, and cumin and add oil in a stream, whisking. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well with salt and pepper to taste. Salad may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring salad to room temperature before serving.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:11 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,545,517 times
Default Quinoa

Does anyone have any good recipes using this grain. I hear that it is really high in protein and fiber. Thanks in advance!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:57 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I love quinoa - it is far healthier than rice and tastier too. If you get it from Trader Joe's they have the recipes right on the box. I think it's two parts water to one part grain. I make mine with broth or stock for added flavor, and I brown crushed garlic for a few minutes in the pan before adding the stock and grain. You can also toss in sauteed veggies of your choice when it's cooked for even more dimension.

Since it is a Peruvian staple, I would recommend using my favorite Peruvian recipe website to browse for more ideas - yanuq.com. They have a terrific recipe of fried shrimp breaded with quinoa for instance. Click on the little cameras on these pages for pictures of the dishes.

QUINOA COVERED CRISPY SHRIMPS WITH ORANGE SYRUP (broken link)
TOMATOES STUFFED WITH QUINOA SALAD (broken link)
QUINOA PILAF (broken link)
QUINOA TABOULEH (broken link)

Old 01-06-2011, 05:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Default Quinoa recipes

This is for Kshe.

Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf Recipe - Allrecipes.com

My grandmother puts rice in her meatloaf to "stretch" the meat, and quinoa works nicely too. There are plenty of seasonings to spice up the otherwise bland turkey and quinoa. (As a side note, if you make plain quinoa as a side dish, cook it in broth or add a little bouillon to the water to add some good flavor.)

I've also made the recipe that comes on my box of quinoa, which involves bell peppers and fresh basil. You could also stuff peppers or zucchini with a yummy mixture of things instead of using rice.

What do you like to do with quinoa?

Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,400,486 times
Sounds delish!! Thanks for sharing JustJulia.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:23 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
That sounds very good!! Another food I have still yet to try...

Old 01-06-2011, 07:46 AM

2,480 posts, read 5,317,833 times
Thanks JustJulia, I've been wanting to try quinoa for a while. Meatloaf recipe will be a nice introduction

Old 01-06-2011, 08:28 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Awesome, thanks, JJ, will be making this very soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes