Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:51 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Lookie Lookie- I may have found it. Under Cone Pone Recipe #5 mentions finger marks. I'll have to try it. I doubt it had flour in it cause it was not at all cake-like. thanks all. I'll try this tomorrow.

CORN PONES
2 c. cornmeal
3 tbsp. oil
1 1/3 c. boiling water
Combine cornmeal and oil; add boiling water. Mix and allow to cool. Make 12-15 cakes formed in hands and allow finger marks to remain. Bake 35-40 minutes at 375 degrees.
My gramma used bacon grease instead of oil. Sometimes she used buttermilk instead of water but it just depended on what she had on hand. Of course, milk will make them puff a bit more than water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 06:10 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,031 times
My grandma made these too but I didn't have the recipe....She had this cast iron mold she used which was in the shape of little ears of corn...she would press them down in that cast iron mold and leave her finger prints then bake them. I have that cast iron mold of hers....I will try it in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
It also occurs to me, nokudzu, that what you are describing could be fried cornmeal mush, which some people called cornbread back in the day. You stir cornmeal into simmering water, stir it until it thickens, then cool it in a loaf pan until it sets. It can then be sliced, or shaped into patties by hand, and fried. Most people ate it with syrup. Is that what we're talking about? Or was it more like bread-type bread?

Old 01-07-2013, 12:21 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
well this was back in the 50's and 60's in Oklahoma. Us kids were not allowed in the kitchen too much so I remember peeking around the corner at all the hustle and bustle in the kitchen. I know it had cornmeal, I thought it was fried but I don't remember any syrup and it most definitely was called cornbread. It was thin, circular or oblong, almost too thin to cut to put butter inside like we did NC grandmother's cornbread. I remember my brother went to his grave without finding this recipe. it really resonated with us cause we never saw it anywhere except in Oklahoma and the handprints were quite fascinating to us children.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
It may have been hot water cornbread. Sorry, I don't have a recipe.
My grandmother always called hers hot water cornbread. She was from Arkansas.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:57 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Definitely not Indian frybread if it centered on cornmeal.

I remember eating what were called corn pones in New England. They were long, skinny cornbread pieces baked in a special mold. I do not remember them being specifically shaped as corn ears, but that is along the same lines.

They tasted like ordinary cornbread.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:03 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
My gramma used bacon grease instead of oil. Sometimes she used buttermilk instead of water but it just depended on what she had on hand. Of course, milk will make them puff a bit more than water.
This! My mother (God rest her soul) was from Kentucky and this is what I remember and still make it this way when my children have a taste for it.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:40 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Funny as this is currently being discussed in the KY forum, recipe included. It's called Fried Cornbread, is available in a few restaurants there too.

//www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...rnbread-2.html

Old 02-06-2021, 08:02 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I had one grandmother from NC who made typical cornbread but the cornbread from my Oklahoma grandmother was something all together different. She used to fry up something kind of flat which had her long fingers indented in it. maybe it was a flat hushpuppy but she called it cornbread and served it every night. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I sure would like to try to duplicate it. She has been dead since the 70's and there are no other relatives to ask.
Try this, I bet you will like it.
6 or 7 TBS corn meal, white or yellow
1 egg
1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
Chopped onion, optional
Mix well , drop spoon full into hot fry pan with oil. Turn, when it bubbles or browns.

Old 02-15-2021, 06:06 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
When I saw the Thread about fried corn bread, had to read ! Was just reading on a package of Aunt Jemima quick grits, a recipe for fried grits. Raised in S.F.-Bay Area, California, came to the KY forum to share, get information. Also, wanted to save this recipe. Thank you no kudzu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes