Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:57 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times

Advertisements

Yes, to quinoa!

When we have leftover grains from the night before, brown rice, millet, quinoa, amaranth, etc. we have that for breakfast with rice milk, wheat germ, flaxseed meal, banana, walnuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Bagel top sammy with a bit of cream cheese and slice of turkey or ham. Quick, EZ, good!

Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Here's what I do... Keep in mind, I'm not much of a morning person, so I make sure my breakfasts are easy to prepare or grab for the road.

I put enough oatmeal in a container for the morning, and mix in some water/milk and sugar, allowing it to sit overnight in the refrigerator. By the time I get up, all I have to do is stir. I also grab a couple fruits for the road. I'm kinda lazy in the morning, but I do need some form of protein to last till lunch. Be that as it may, I usually grab a solid chunk of whatever meat I had for dinner. Don't forget to take a multi vitamin!

And there you have it... The most effortless, yet nutritious breakfast of champions

Old 01-05-2013, 08:56 PM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I precooked scrambled eggs (combo egg / egg beaters), with spinach and other veggies. Precook / slice turkey sausage, or imitation turkey rounds.

In the morning I grab them both, shove between sandwich thins, nuke and run.

I have no "morning" food requirements. Sometimes I'll make a low cal sandwich the night before to grab.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:58 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I read someplace that if you eat veggies in the morning, it helps fill you up, and you actually lose wieght.

So, I make sure, to eat veggies, and protein for breakfast, even though I am not a big breakfast person.

I usually do a veggie bowl, with quinoa. Love quinoa, you can make it savory, or cook with cinnamon and add honey and milk, and berries. Quinoa is the perfect breakfast food.
I agree about vegetables filling you up but I eat no animal products so I eat tons of veggies for lunch and dinner...about 10 to 12 servings per day. For breakfast I almost always have gluten free oatmeal with flax seed meal and a couple of tablespoons of some kind of nut or seeds, almond milk and a small grapefruit or blueberries and half a small banana. This is a very filling breakfast and keeps me full until lunch. Once in a while I will have gluten free toast with a small amount of fresh peanut butter and some herb tea instead of oatmeal. I don't eat pancakes or muffins...well I don't eat sweets.

About twice a week my husband eats a Rip Bowl (from the Engine 2 Diet book)....it includes a modest amount of quinoa flakes (Whole Foods has), grape nuts, Uncle Sam 's cereal and unsweetened shredded wheat...he adds a half cup of walnuts or almonds and flax seed meal and tops it with a sliced small red grapefruit and some blueberries...he loves eating this.

Quinoa is really delicious but pretty caloric and carb heavy...I eat it a couple times a week for lunch (I cook big pots of it and freeze it in serving size portions), but I keep my servng size to half a cup.

I really watch serving size and fat content but then maintaining my ideal weight and eating heathy is my daily goal.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:03 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Quinoa Pudding Recipe - Allrecipes.com

This is something I often make for breakfast. I make a batch on Sunday, and keep it until gone. I use almond milk instead of whole milk, and add chia seeds and flax.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Egg any way you like, salt, pepper, some sundried tomatoes from a jar or roasted red peppers, a slice of whole grain toast and a piece of fruit.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:51 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
SUPREME OATMEAL

1/3 c orange juice concentrate
2/3 c water
a pinch or two of dried mixed berries
1/2 c traditional rolled oats
OPTIONAL: Chopped nuts or seeds, like sunflower seeds, of your choice

Bring the OJ and water to a boil with the berries and/or nuts. As soon as it comes to a boil, add the oats and when it returns to a boil, reduce heat to medium and stir until the mixture is the texture you like. Eat hot. VERY filling.

MICROWAVE VERSION:

Sling everything into a microwave-safe container, cover (but do not seal shut), and microwave on high 1-1.5 minutes.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:50 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
You can make chia seed pudding!

Almond milk or coconut milk (chocolate or vanilla - doesn't matter), about a cup, and about 2 tbsps of chia seeds, more or less (may have to tinker with that a bit depending on how thick you like your puddings). I just made some with some chocolate mint coconut milk and it's terrific and also healthy. Make it the night before. I make mine two cups at a time because that gives me about four servings.

Anyway, couple that with a handful of almonds and you're good to go!

It's a shame you don't like hard boiled eggs because I have a really good little quick breakfast that I really enjoy everytime I eat it. And it fills me up.

1 really grainy, chewy piece of toast - like Ezekial bread. Lightly spread one teaspoon of really good, real butter on it after it toasts.

Top with thin slices of a boiled egg. Sprinkle sea salt and fresh ground pepper over the egg. Top with a few drops of Tabasco sauce. YUM!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You can make chia seed pudding!

Almond milk or coconut milk (chocolate or vanilla - doesn't matter), about a cup, and about 2 tbsps of chia seeds, more or less (may have to tinker with that a bit depending on how thick you like your puddings). I just made some with some chocolate mint coconut milk and it's terrific and also healthy. Make it the night before. I make mine two cups at a time because that gives me about four servings.

Anyway, couple that with a handful of almonds and you're good to go!

It's a shame you don't like hard boiled eggs because I have a really good little quick breakfast that I really enjoy everytime I eat it. And it fills me up.

1 really grainy, chewy piece of toast - like Ezekial bread. Lightly spread one teaspoon of really good, real butter on it after it toasts.

Top with thin slices of a boiled egg. Sprinkle sea salt and fresh ground pepper over the egg. Top with a few drops of Tabasco sauce. YUM!
Wait, are you soaking the seeds, cooking them, or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes