Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 04:37 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times

Advertisements

I bought two of them today. I would love to make a mini chile relleno casserole with no meat. Anyone got a recipe? My son won't eat chile peppers is why I only bought two. Maybe I should buy a bunch and roast them and then freeze them, but I don't think I would be able to use them up before we move to Arkansas in the spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 04:56 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Chili relleno itself is simple. If the peppers (not sure what hatch are) have shiny skin, fire roast them till charred and put them in a plastic bag/paper bag, seal and wait 15 minutes while it's cool. Open bag and rub off all the charred skin. Make a slit so you can stuff the pepper.

Filling I usually use is the Mexican melting or crumbling cheese or a taco meat. (not authentic lol) Set up a plate of seasoned flour of choice, another with egg yolk only, lightly whisked. (reserving whites for next step)

In a large bowl, whip up about 3-5 egg whites till light and frothy till it just peaks. Egg/yolk stuffed peppers, then flour, shake off excess, dip liberally into egg whites and deep fry till golden. Serve with red sauce and rice.

You can also pan fry as well.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:39 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Yum! Chile Verde time!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:57 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Hatch Chiles are fresh peppers from the Hatch Valley in New Mexico. This time of year they're not only found in markets all over the Southwest, but many of them roast the chiles on site, which chars the skin so that it is easily removed, and brings out the flavor. So this is also the time of year for guacamole with Hatch chiles, salsa with Hatch chiles, cheese bread with Hatch chiles, stuffed Hatch chiles... you name it!

Hatch New Mexico :: Chile Capital of the World! ::

Old 08-13-2013, 09:38 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
They are the best! In El Paso, we put green chile on everything. Always keep some in the freezer.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Tech Hatch Chiles are nothing but a type of Anaheim pepper or chile that is raised in Hatch, but if you live in NM we get them all over the place, grown from the north to the south part of the state but still called Hatch. The month of Aug. is almost the only time you see them. There are venders on street corners selling them, all the grocery stores. the farmers, you name it, you can find them. The sellers roast them for you, so they are ready to use of the freeze. Lately, in the past few years they are available in other states as well. We got ours last week from our local grocer and roasted them ourselves. I pack them in baggies, usually about 5 to a bag. The larger ones I mark so I can use them for Chile Rellenos, the rest we use for flavoring, making green chili stew, or Pisole. I am not a lover of Pisole cause I do not like Hominy. If you live in NM you do not peel them, before you freeze them. You do put them in a plastic bag to sweat so the skins can be removed at a later date, but you normally freeze them with the skins on them unless you are going to package them already mashed or cut up. One of the main reasons for not peeling them from the start is to preserve the flavor for months, the other reason is the heat. You can get them in mild or hot, but if you prefer hot, even with gloves on, when you start peeling 20 lbs. of them it can be a little irritating.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I bought two of them today. I would love to make a mini chile relleno casserole with no meat. Anyone got a recipe? My son won't eat chile peppers is why I only bought two. Maybe I should buy a bunch and roast them and then freeze them, but I don't think I would be able to use them up before we move to Arkansas in the spring.
We actually brought them all the way from Albuquerque a couple of years when we would visit and friends have delivered them to us as well. You can buy them, roast them and keep them in ice when you move. They should stay pretty frozen for a couple of days. Or just don't buy more than you can use in the next 9 months or so.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:37 AM

7,332 posts, read 2,741,035 times
I love the smell of roasting chile! I peel mine before I freeze it. We eat chile on or in just about everything...after all, chile is one of the main food groups.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Woman View Post
I love the smell of roasting chile! I peel mine before I freeze it. We eat chile on or in just about everything...after all, chile is one of the main food groups.
yes, we used them on almost everything when we lived there, but I don't use quite as many now. We used to buy 20 lbs or more every year, now we buy about 10 to 20 lbs. I guess whether you peel them before or after freezing must depend on where you live in NM, I don't know anyone in our neighborhood that peeled them unless they were cutting them up and freezing them in small containers. Most everyone we knew just put them in plastic bags, about 4 to 6 per bag. I don't think it makes much difference which way you do it. We were just told by the local chile farmers they would keep their flavor better if not peeled. Heck we didn't know nor did our neighbors so we just did what they said.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 AM

7,332 posts, read 2,741,035 times
I just peel them first for the convenience. That way all I have to do is pull the baggie out of the freezer and it's ready to go. I usually buy a bushel bag of the hot (after I buy a couple to find out if they are actually hot!) and to go along with the green chile I buy somewhere around 20-40 pounds of Serrano peppers. My kids say the only thing I don't put chile in some form on or in is cold cereal and ice cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes