U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 AM

43 posts, read 77,991 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a good and hot hot sauce recipe? Not a salsa. Also, has anyone heard if you put any corn oil in the sauce? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 03:41 PM

13,801 posts, read 23,285,314 times
When sriracha can be purchased for around $2 for a 16 oz bottle?

What type of hot sauce are you thinking of? Something thick like the Asian chilis, or thinner like Tabasco?

Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 PM

26,030 posts, read 34,387,517 times
Just use an enchilada sauce recipe and up the hot pepper component. I don't use any oil in my enchilada saucce, but it is often done to heat some oil up and fry the dried red peppers before proceeding with the recipe. I use dried peppers for red sauce and fresh green peppers for green sauce.

If you want something like Tabasco, that is a fermented and aged sauce and it would be difficult to make at home.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 PM

24,671 posts, read 62,907,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugboy View Post
Does anyone have a good and hot hot sauce recipe? Not a salsa. Also, has anyone heard if you put any corn oil in the sauce? Thanks
I make a hot sauce which is raved about by many and pretty simple. Warning - wear gloves!

Equal quantities of habaneros (red, yellow and green), jalapenos and serranos. Remove stems and process in food processor. Slowly add vinegar (I use apple cider). Using a large-mouthed funnel transfer to a plastic or glass bottle. You can use it right away but it ages very well and gets hotter in the process. No need to refrigerate.

Do be careful as the juices are lethal. You need to wash everything thoroughly in hot soapy water when you're done. If you get any of the juice on your bare hands do NOT touch your eyes and (gentlemen, please) thoroughly wash your hands before taking a pee otherwise you'll sorely regret it.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:00 PM

3,123 posts, read 1,781,954 times
the youtube channel CaribbeanPot has lots of hot sauce recipes see also his website CaribbeanPot.com*|*The Best Caribbean Recipes Online!
( I do not know how to post a video here)

Old 03-05-2013, 07:02 PM

3,123 posts, read 1,781,954 times
Smile hot sauce recipes

the youtube channel CaribbeanPot has lots of hot sauce recipes see also his website CaribbeanPot.com*|*The Best Caribbean Recipes Online!
( I do not know how to post a video here)

Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,171,170 times
Ranchero sauce-
small onion
4 ripe tomatos
salt, blk ppr, garlic pdr/fresh
raw chile ppr or flake

in a pan saute sliced onion in oil until soft, add diced tomato, season, saute till veggies break down
add 1/2 cup water, reduce to disired thickness///depends if you are using over meat fish eggs

if you want you can blend chunky to smooth, and some vinegar to extend "shelf life" will last in fridge 1 wk.

Green sauce.
chop 1 med onion
1/4 lb. raw green chile serrano or jalepeno
2 garlic glove
salt to taste

put in a pot with water to cover veggies
simmer till veggies aqre tender
let cool, blender till smooth

raw green chile sauce
1/4 lb raw chile serrano or jalepeno

place in a blender
add 2 cups water
blend till smooth.
strain and use liquid heat.

raw chile petin
1 clove garlic salt

grind garlic, chile, salt in a molcjete[motar and pestal] add water[1/8 cup] spoon into mexican chicken and beef soups.

Red sauce
1 pkg of dried chile de arbor [chile from the tree/bush]
put dried chile into a pot add 2 cups water
simmer till chiles are rehydrated and water turns red.
add cool mix to blender
add 1/8 cup vinegar
blend

Old 03-07-2013, 04:55 PM

133 posts, read 247,678 times
Default Re: Hot Sauce

Here's one I lifted from a HOT food lovers cookbook back in the 70's

I've made it a couple of times. It has a different flavor than most hot sauces

Penang Chili Sauce
1 cup peeled and chopped fresh ginger
1 cup chopped fresh hot red peppers - I used chili petins from my yard. Thai peppers would be a good alternative
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 Tbs salt

Place all items in blender. Blend until smooth.

It gets better with age, so let it sit for a day or two before you use it. You can bottle it by using basic canning techniques.

If you want a thinner sauce, add water and vinegar 50/50 mix

Old 03-09-2013, 02:16 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,395,189 times
Salsa is just the Spanish word for sauce. Any sauce, not just the kind that Americans like to dip tortilla chips in.

Salsa brava:

Pour a fairly generous amount of oil in a pan, add 4 or 5 garlic cloves and cook on low-medium heat until they're a medium brown color on both sides and remove the garlic cloves. Add a small diced tomato and fry for a few minutes. Take a handful of deseeded dried peppers and tear them into small pieces and fry for a couple minutes until they're aromatic, being careful not to burn them. Add everything to a blender with some water, salt, and a little vinegar and puree. Often a little chicken bouillon is added as well.

For the peppers I like to use chile de arbol, pequin, japonese or chiltepin for a really spicy sauce. You have to be especially careful not to burn these because of their thin skin. For a milder sauce that's dark and smokey (and goes very well with beef or beans), I use pasilla or guajillo. Or puya (very similar to guajillo but hotter).

I make a sauce out of bhut jolokias, strawberries, lime juice, ginger, sugar, and vinegar that's really good on pizza and breakfast foods too. 4 or 5 bhut jolokias, a half a lb of strawberries, juice from 2 or 3 limes, a little vinegar, and sugar and salt to taste.

I love Nam Prik Pao as well, a type of Thai chili paste. I use Thai peppers, shallots, shrimp paste, fish sauce, garlic, lime juice, jaggery (palm sugar), and tamarind water (from soaking a ball of tamarind in water).

This recipe looks like a decent one: http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaisna...namprikpao.htm

Last edited by EugeneOnegin; 03-09-2013 at 02:36 AM..

Old 03-09-2013, 02:34 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,395,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
When sriracha can be purchased for around $2 for a 16 oz bottle?
I like sriracha but it's nowhere near as good as homemade sauces. And it's not good for every type of food. Sriracha on say, Mexican food is not good, even though it's made from jalapenos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes