Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,998 times

Advertisements

I found a recipe and at the end of it, it says to use a glass cooking dish that goes into the oven~? Why couldn't you use a non-stick type or something else~? I usually change my ingredients around a bit, but this is new and I don't know what to do. Would a Pyrex dish work~? Only problem I have an ovals ones and not a square rectangular type. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:03 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Pyrex is glass. Oval is fine.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Pyrex is glass. Oval is fine.
This isn't glass what I have, it is coated white. Why does a dish make the difference in cooking something~? Like when I make pancakes on a coated skillet, they turn out totally different and better than a Teflon skillet. How come~? Stupid questions of the night, I know.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:36 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,682 times
Glass conducts heat differently than metal so you may have to adjust the temperature if you use metal. Metal can also reacts with some acidic foods and cause an off taste. What are you making?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:41 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
...Like when I make pancakes on a coated skillet, they turn out totally different and better than a Teflon skillet...
I've found that pancakes tend to spread-out quicker in a Teflon pan than in an iron skillet or coated pan. This makes the pancakes thinner and not as fluffy.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:04 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Some dishes are supposed to be baked in glass or Pyrex because cleanup is easier. I find that casseroles work best in glass or Pyrex, or even stonewear.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:18 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
If a recipe calls for a glass baking pan, it means Pyrex, or a similar product. But you can substitute a ceramic baking dish or a silicone baking dish.

A metal pan will change the cooking time and often requires a different baking temperature. Also, as noted above, don't use a metal pan for acidic foods. Also, don't use a metal pan for recipes that will have a baked on residue. You can scrub a Pyrex pan, but scrubbing a metal pan can scratch it and ruin the finish.

Most recipes that call for a glass baking dish will give the size of the dish. You can use the round baking pan if the recipe will all fit into it. It will probably change the baking time.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:22 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
This is not intended to be an insult. Just worried that some beginners do not know. You can not bake in just any glass. It must be a Pyrex, or similar glass specifically made to go into the oven. Ordonary glass will probbaly break if you try to bake in it.

That white Corning Ware is glass and it is intended to go into the oven, so you can bake in that.

Also, metal is not used for food that will be cut in the pan, because, again, it can damage the finish.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:27 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
Using glass in the oven, never exceed 350 degrees F.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Using glass in the oven, never exceed 350 degrees F.

The recipe calls for the temp to be 375 degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
This is not intended to be an insult. Just worried that some beginners do not know. You can not bake in just any glass. It must be a Pyrex, or similar glass specifically made to go into the oven. Ordonary glass will probbaly break if you try to bake in it.

That white Corning Ware is glass and it is intended to go into the oven, so you can bake in that.

Also, metal is not used for food that will be cut in the pan, because, again, it can damage the finish.

I am definitely not a beginner and have been cooking for around 40 years~! I've just never seen a recipe calling for glass or ever used it except my coated Pyrex dishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If a recipe calls for a glass baking pan, it means Pyrex, or a similar product. But you can substitute a ceramic baking dish or a silicone baking dish.

A metal pan will change the cooking time and often requires a different baking temperature. Also, as noted above, don't use a metal pan for acidic foods. Also, don't use a metal pan for recipes that will have a baked on residue. You can scrub a Pyrex pan, but scrubbing a metal pan can scratch it and ruin the finish.

Most recipes that call for a glass baking dish will give the size of the dish. You can use the round baking pan if the recipe will all fit into it. It will probably change the baking time.

Maybe the reason for the recipe calling for glass is because it has artichokes in it. I also know very well about scratching the coated pans. I used the wrong type of sponge once and only once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I've found that pancakes tend to spread-out quicker in a Teflon pan than in an iron skillet or coated pan. This makes the pancakes thinner and not as fluffy.

Nope, I don't think so. When I make pancakes in a coated pan, they turn out all evenly brown. When I used the Teflon pan, they came out half brown and half white (which didn't look like they were even cooked. They didn't even taste too good either.

Quote:
Glass conducts heat differently than metal so you may have to adjust the temperature if you use metal. Metal can also reacts with some acidic foods and cause an off taste. What are you making?
I'm making an egg dish called "Eggs in Purgatory" which requires artichokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes