Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 12:19 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times

Advertisements

I had one today... I bought betty crocker ultimate fudge brownie mix. Mixed it according to the package directions, put in a pan and baked it according to the time suggested for my size pan. Took them out to cool and then proceeded to cut them into squares... Where's my chainsaw! LOL They were rock solid like concrete on 1/4 of the brownies and chewy like taffy on the rest of it. Ugh!!! I was going to bring these over to my SIL's tonight. I am so embarrassed I am keeping them home. Hubby said he'll eat them that way. My mom's always come out thick and chewy but she also doubles the mix. She said I over cooked them which I think I did. If anyone needs to replace their paver stones I have a few chocolate ones I can send. LOL. This has never happened to me with brownie mix in the box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Now, was anything different? Did you use a glass pan instead of a metal one? If the oven working OK? I went through a weird phase when everything I baked was perfect on the outside and uncooked & soggy on the inside. When flames started belching out of the oven when I opened it, I finally had the landlord call a repairman. The gas outlet was blocked and needed to be cleared out -- when it was cleared my banana bread was edible again. I tell you all this this only because there are a lot of possibilities.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Now, was anything different? Did you use a glass pan instead of a metal one? If the oven working OK? I went through a weird phase when everything I baked was perfect on the outside and uncooked & soggy on the inside. When flames started belching out of the oven when I opened it, I finally had the landlord call a repairman. The gas outlet was blocked and needed to be cleared out -- when it was cleared my banana bread was edible again. I tell you all this this only because there are a lot of possibilities.
Metal pan which my mom never uses to make brownies, she uses a glass pan, oven works fine, I over cooked them.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
and among my many disasters was the sour dough bread I tried a few weeks ago. I am doing something new for a bridge luncheon I am going to tomorrow: I am making deviled eggs with a combination of the yolk and avocados. Please Lord, make them not a disaster!!!!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:06 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
I had one on Sunday and it was not even my fault..

I was tasked to cook for 16 people a dinner of 3 Corned Beef, 4 Cabbage, Carrots and Potato's..
One of the other caregivers decided to provide the pots and take the cooking task on herself..
Well She's been working there alot longer So I was like soo be it.....

She Brought Freaking Cauldrons, like great big witches Cauldrons to cook this stuff in..
She's like I will start it at noon, I protested it would be way to late...

It took almost two hours just to bring these cauldrons to a boil..
Dinner was two hours late..

Old 03-19-2013, 11:19 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,677 times
Wasted time and ingredients based on recommendations from an under-employed CIA trained chef who was a "friend". And there are some home cooks that have given me bum recipes, usually withholding an important ingredient, timing, temp, etc. - not nice. Lesson learned.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
...I am making deviled eggs with a combination of the yolk and avocados...
Sounds good but I'm not sure I'd like the color .

Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I learned the hard way years ago to never trust recipes printed in the newspaper. Almost every Sunday there would be a CORRECTION to last week's recipe which made me very leery.

Can't put my finger on it right noew but there is at least 1 recipe site on the web which asks for comments and suggestions. Before I print anything I read all those comments. If it sounds like something I want to try I then print the recipe and write all over it some of the suggestions.
Allrecipes.com does that, and I do the same thing Kudzu. I read the comments, and complaints that crop up more than once get my attention. Allrecipes now has a magazine, and it includes not only user reviews, but how the editors changed the recipe after the comments flooded in.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:49 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I had one on Sunday and it was not even my fault..

I was tasked to cook for 16 people a dinner of 3 Corned Beef, 4 Cabbage, Carrots and Potato's..
One of the other caregivers decided to provide the pots and take the cooking task on herself..
Well She's been working there alot longer So I was like soo be it.....

She Brought Freaking Cauldrons, like great big witches Cauldrons to cook this stuff in..
She's like I will start it at noon, I protested it would be way to late...

It took almost two hours just to bring these cauldrons to a boil..
Dinner was two hours late..
There was nothing else to fix the stuff in!?

Old 04-20-2013, 10:40 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Also, American taste seem to have changed and some of the newer recipes that get rave reviews contain so much salt or sugar that they are virtually inedible. I've got a decent peanut butter cookie recipe that I had to remove 2 1/2 cups of sugar from the recipe. It had twice the sugar needed and then the dough was rolled in more sugar before baking.

The darn things would make you gag, or put you into a diabetic coma. Yet the recipe had dozens of raves "best cookies ever". It wasn't much different than sitting there with the sugar bowl and a spoon, shoveling pure sugar into your mouth.
When I was learning how to cook I made a "Sugar cookie" recipe that called for 2 lbs of butter. That is not a typo. Two pounds of butter. 8 sticks. It was about as delicious as an oil spill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes