Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 04:05 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times

Advertisements

This is my mom's favorite and the only one she has ever had was the kind made by Goya. If you have a recipe please share it. I'd like to make it for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 04:52 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
The technique is far more important than the recipe - if you don't do it right it'll be grainy. A lot of folks use a pressure cooker to get it right.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
This recipe is close to my own, although I don't stir the sugar while I'm melting it until it has all liquefied. Other than that, I only flavor mine with vanilla, no orange juice or zest (although this sounds intriguing to be honest). Otherwise this recipe is nearly identical.

Flan Mexicano (Mexican Flan) Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 03-09-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
This recipe is close to my own, although I don't stir the sugar while I'm melting it until it has all liquefied. Other than that, I only flavor mine with vanilla, no orange juice or zest (although this sounds intriguing to be honest). Otherwise this recipe is nearly identical.

Flan Mexicano (Mexican Flan) Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Thanks I will try this

Old 03-09-2013, 09:31 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,314,385 times
An elderly lady I knew from hospital mentioned, that she used the thick condensed milk to make a more solid heavy sweeter flan and using more egg yolks . I prefer the regular flan recipe I use regular whole milk , so I never tried to make it. The recipe I use is similar to the one at www.bhg.com/recipe/desserts/flan/ I use whole milk and light brown sugar.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:23 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
The recipe below is what our family members have been using over the years. I can't recall its origination, but it has always worked well for us:

4 or 5 eggs
1 can evaporated milk or 1 1/2 cup of low fat milk
1/2 can condensed milk (it's too much sugar for me so I've always omitted this ingredient and doubled the low fat milk instead, the taste is exactly the same)
1/2 cup of sugar
vanilla extract (optional, 1 teaspoon or so)

With a few drops of water, caramelize sugar in a deep baking dish over very low heat until light amber colour, make sure to tilt dish so sugar coats it upward and all around evenly (do not stir). Remove sugar from heat immediately when it's done.

Beat or whisk eggs, milk, and vanilla together until smooth.

Pour milk and eggs mixture over caramelized sugar in baking dish.

Put water in a pot (larger than the baking dish) in the oven, heat oven up to 350 degrees. Put baking dish in pot, water should not be more than half way up the outside of baking dish.

Bake until done. Replenish water if needed. Insert a toothpick or knife in the middle of flan, if it comes out clean, it's done. It should be 45 minutes or more, depends on your oven.

Refrigerate. When you're ready to serve, use the edge of a knife to separate flan from baking dish, then put a plate over baking dish before turning flan upside down onto plate.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:43 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,556 times
Lubby....just thought you might be interested in a Flan Cake recipe which was posted on this forum a long time ago. I had copied the recipe but didn't try it for a long time......it was wonderful and is now one of my most favorite desserts to serve to guests. It has a most perfect flan on top when you plate the cake from the pan, plus it's pretty with the caramel dripping down the cake.....someone who ate mine likened it to creme brulee. And it's fairly easy to make....just make sure it's cooked in a pan of water.

//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...flan-cake.html

Old 04-21-2013, 12:45 PM

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes