Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:02 PM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,860 times

Advertisements

It isn't exactly a "fry daddy". I had my husband pick me up a deep fryer , I believe it is a Rival. It does have temp control.
I have not had any luck using a fry pan or similar.

How Red are they............... Comparisons hmmm... Hank Williams Jr. red....Good Ole' Boys (and girls) RED !
Pluck your own chicken, raise your own cattle, skin your own deer...RED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 07:13 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
I do a triple chocolate cake. Chocolate cake mix following directions but add one package of instant chocolate jello pudding and a small package of semi sweet chocolate bits to the mix before cooking. This works better if it is not really hot outside. You can refridgerate it if you cook it early. It turns into a really fudgey cake. It is all right without refridgeration though. That is just a personal preference of mine.

Last edited by NCN; 10-25-2007 at 07:33 PM..

Old 10-25-2007, 07:27 PM
NCN

QBaby, I grew up with a mother that cooks like the people you mentioned above. That's why I have a complex about cooking. I don't think I would ever be able to touch her quality of cooking. I have plucked a chicken and burned off the small feathers. I have helped skin a rabbit and squirrel and cleaned fish. She once served "possum" to her rich relatives and told them it was squirrel or rabbit (can't remember which) and they went away raving about it being the best they had ever eaten and we got a good laugh after they left, because they said they would never eat a possum.

I am a little concerned about the oil temperature I mentioned. I believe it is right. I remember Betty Feezor mentioning that the oil temperature is very important. She was on WBTV for years and taught most of the women in the Charlotte area to cook. I had lunch with her every day while my children took a nap.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:46 PM

I am a good cook......just cannot compare to their ranks in the Southern department.

I WILL NOT be skinning/plucking anything ! (I can skin/gut a good fish though)
I have had the pleasure (yeah right) of witnessing a deer be processed. I left.

Seafood is my specialty. I had 2 bushels of clams brought up recently... not one of my RED friends would touch them. LOL
I have a feeling that whatever I make, the beverages will be the winner ! LOL

I'll give it the good ole' college try though !

These people may be RED but OMG can they cook!

Last edited by theqbaby; 10-25-2007 at 08:38 PM..

Old 10-26-2007, 08:38 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,742,666 times
Default Southern Cooking

OMG You got me when you said you (once) had to pluck, ,skin and burn feathers.......OMG

I would need all those beverages!!!!!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:52 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,007 times
Quote:
Pluck your own chicken
According to that theory my Gramma is a redneck! Hubby and I are proud rednecks but this isn't something my proper Gramma would ever consider herself to be, nor really know what it means, too funny!

Old 10-26-2007, 04:22 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
I am a good cook......just cannot compare to their ranks in the Southern department.

I WILL NOT be skinning/plucking anything ! (I can skin/gut a good fish though)
I have had the pleasure (yeah right) of witnessing a deer be processed. I left.

Seafood is my specialty. I had 2 bushels of clams brought up recently... not one of my RED friends would touch them. LOL
I have a feeling that whatever I make, the beverages will be the winner ! LOL

I'll give it the good ole' college try though !

These people may be RED but OMG can they cook!
A few weeks back we went to a family reunion. One in-law from Maryland brought a crock pot full of some kind of fish something. I think it was either crab or clam soup. I felt a little sorry for her because I knew she would go home with just about all of it. My husband's sister got a bowl just to be polite, I am sure. We have a little rule that fish and milk together will make you sick. I don't know from whence it came, but our mother would not let us eat the two at the same meal. I don't eat squirrel, possum, frog legs, deer, and did not think I liked beef until I discovered the only beef I had ever been exposed to was veal. I like regular ground beef from the grocery store. We killed a baby calf every year as well as two hogs when I lived at home with my parents. The only way I liked that calf prepared was as stewed beef. In my opinion there is not much better than stewed beef and biscuits. Add green beans, potatoes, and corn and you have a good country meal. I would love to meet your neighbors.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:42 AM

I have been fortunate with my new location.
I am learning a whole new "way of life".
It is refreshing to meet genuinely happy people for a change, coming from S.E. Florida.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:06 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Q - I am anxiously awaiting a report back from your "git-together".

Old 10-27-2007, 08:40 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Collard greens? Black eyed peas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes