Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:47 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

That's what I get for reading this thread! You made me so hungry. I used rye bread (that's what all those little specks are) and I always insist on real maple syrup. Yum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 02:31 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Now that's old school - antique cast iron skillet, old metal spatula, and an antique hand-cranked beater.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:33 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Challah bread or bricohe makes a nice french toast as well.
I use Challah bread, it definitely makes a difference. I use quite a bit of vanilla because I love it.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
I use Challah bread, it definitely makes a difference. I use quite a bit of vanilla because I love it.
Speaking of French toast and Hawaii, we LOVE brunch at King's Hawaiian restaurant, and they do use their Hawaiian sweet rolls for the French toast. Mmmmm, I'm going to have to plan a weekend trip to Torrance soon!

Old 04-09-2013, 06:52 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, you are sure telling your age or something: I haven't heard margarine called Oleo for 20 years or more. In fact I doubt Oleo is even on the market: maybe it is..
Now we know one thing about you! You don't do crossword puzzles. Oleo is used often. However, I think you are right. Oleo was short for Oleomargerine Just too big for the box.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 853 times
Default How to make french toast

Ps: Don't make your french toast without first browning the bread slices. First brown, let it cool, only then dip it in egg concoction.

In addition to what everyone else already suggested, the key ingredient to a french toast is the bread, not eggs. In my experience, there are few things to look for when making your toast. After a few minutes of research, I found this out on Google.

The type of bread you have chosen. I suggest soft ones (I also use challah), and adding enough butter because that's what makes the golden crust.

Optionally, add cinnamon and vanilla powder to the bread. This makes a big difference

Old 06-22-2013, 10:16 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,048 times
So what we have learned here is that there are actually hundreds of different kinds of French Toast, having in common only some form of bread, some type of egg, probably some other liquid, and definitely some sort of fat and a bit of heat.

Personally, I like it soft on the inside and crunchy on the ouside, so I use sugar (and a drop or two of vanilla and almond extracts), barely moistening the bread before quickly getting it into a buttered pan at a little less than medium heat. The sugar is supposed to brown, not burn. As for bread, I like to use a rustic from the local artisan guys. Nice flavor, and all those little holes make for lots of extra crunch. Yum! But you can gain Pied Piper of Hamelin type leverage over little and not so little children by using Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Swirl instead, so there's a place for that as well.

One of the most interesting restaurant examples I've had was deep-fried. And no, it was not at the Texas State Fair. Has anybody ever tried that at home?

Old 06-23-2013, 04:27 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Speaking of French toast and Hawaii, we LOVE brunch at King's Hawaiian restaurant, and they do use their Hawaiian sweet rolls for the French toast. Mmmmm, I'm going to have to plan a weekend trip to Torrance soon!
Hawaiian Bread would make crazy good French Toast. I actually think I used to use it, but I had forgotten.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:34 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Hawaiian Bread would make crazy good French Toast. I actually think I used to use it, but I had forgotten.
I usually use challah, but I will try Hawaiian bread. Sounds delicious.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:38 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Sourdough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes