U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 09:56 AM

7,801 posts, read 5,630,555 times

Advertisements

Quick and nasty one for me tonight as I was low on equipment and had no internet for the recipe so did it from memory. I believe this is called something like "God eunge o jorim" in Korean.

Dicing garlic and ginger is hard when all you have to hand is a bread knife so I was a bit nasty and cut it as small as I could and then zapped it with a hand blender. Anyone good at dicing or has the tools for it probably will wanna do it right.

I was also armed with my friendly Russian doll measuring cups with American Cup measurements. Say hello to the ladies lads:

I also had 4 relatively (for mackerel) happy looking fish which you can see I have gutted and de-tailed before I decided to photograph the process. I then de-headed them but left the bones in as this dish benefits from the flavours the bones give off. This was about 900g Mackerel before I started the gutting process:

Forgot to photo the next steps but I I chopped each fish into 4 pieces about 2 inches each. Then got the same weight in Radish (the lovely long white ones that look like overgrown parsnips) again 900g and chopped them into 2x2x1 pieces. I chopped two medium onions into slices. I then placed the radish at the bottom of a pot, covered in the onions, covered in the mackerel:

I then made a sauce using my Russian Dolls. About 3/4 cup Soy Sauce, mixed with half that of hot chilli flakes. Tablespoon of sugar, Tablespoon of minced ginger and a bulb of garlic (for me about 8 cloves) minced.

I zapped that with a hand blender as my mincing was crap but do what you will! Poured this over the mackerel then added about cup of water to the pot, put lid on, and brought to the boil on good heat for about 15 minutes. Dont over do the water here even if you think it seems too little. It goes a lot further than you think and you don't want it too water at the end.

At this point you get down at the broth with a spoon and spoon it over the fish and radish as many times as you can before you get bored. Making a well for it to collect is the easiest way for this. Get it over everything anyway a few times. Then add a chopped red and chopped green chilli (more to taste if you like your chillis. I went for a second green myself because they were relatively smaller than the reds for me. I would have added 3 or 4 stalks chopping into 1 inches Spring Onions if I had had any but I stupidly used them up in a beef stew on Sunday.

Close lid and low simmer for 30 until the radish is cooked, is browney colored from absorbing a lot of Soy, and has a translucent look about it. With the lid open up the heat to boil again and do more broth scoop and pour every so often for about 5 more minutes. A good bit of broth will boil off at this stage but that's expected. Serve this with a side of your choice of nice rice or bread or whatever you go for with a dish like this. Kimchi would be ideal if you have any about, but I went with Rice and Lettuce. Koreans I have seen eating this tend to spoon whole lumps of it into lettuce, wrap it closed and pop it whole.... but they are less squeamish about eating the bones than I am. I always pick them out. But the bones are boiled down so soft here I can imagine swallowing them does not come with the same dangers of perforated oesophagus as you might get with a grilled mackerel.

As you can see I finished it without even touching my wine, I enjoyed it that much. Were I to make it again I might user a different grade of soy to end up with a redder sauce than my dark brown as can be seen in this image I just found on google here. I might also scale back a little (but not hugely) on the cup of water as my sauce was a _little_ too watery at the end but I didnt want to boil it off for TOO long.

The sugar added to the sauce caused bits of the Radish to caramalise too. So periodically throughout the dish I would suddenly get hit with an almost honey like taste off it which was surprising and very welcome in contrast to the head of the chillis and hot pepper.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 02:04 PM

12,445 posts, read 12,286,762 times
Wow - there aren't many dishes I care for using mackerel, but that does look/sound quite tasty. It's such an oily fish that certain cooking methods make it very fishy. I tend to pickle it, but I do believe I'd like to try that recipe. I have a Korean grocery nearby so a nice batch of kimchi might complement this, as you said.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes