Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 04:23 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times

Advertisements

I haven't made it in a while but I used to make large dinner salads.

Lettuce (iceberg/and or romaine), tomato, shredded carrots (using a vegetable peeler), corn (from a can) chick peas (from a can) chopped pepperoni, bacon bits, Parmesan cheese, and I liked to top it with honey mustard dressing and add croutons. I would also add any other veggies that I bought that week like cucumbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 04:34 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
I like to add Osem Mini Croutons to my salads. They're also good in soups.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:35 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
If it has lettuce and tomatoes I am a fan.

I add green or red onions, beans, eggs, steak, chicken, tuna, red cabbage, cucumbers, shredded carrots, red bell peppers. I just love salad. Lucini shallot and cucumber is my current favorite bottled dressing. I also like Catalina, Green Goddess, Red Wine Vinaigrette, homemade Ranch, and others I can't recall.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:40 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Are you looking for more of a meal salad? Or a side salad? Likes? Dislikes?

You might like this. You can substitute Little Gems lettuce for Boston Lettuce. This is a really delicious salad in winter. http://saltandwind.com/recipes/77-li...ressing-recipe

Another of my favorites in winter, is n Endive, pear and Gorgonzola salad. Use one head of endive per person. Thinly slice one red onion. Peel and dice 3 juicy pears. Slice Endive thinly.

For dressing, whisk together 4 parts olive oil, and two parts wine vinegar with one minced garlic clove. Add sea sald and cracked plack pepper.

You may substitute any blue cheese for Gorgonzola.

Last edited by sheena12; 01-20-2016 at 06:53 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 06:43 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
CHICKEN CASHEW SALAD
4 Chicken breasts, cubed
3 green onion stalks
1/2 lb. red grapes
1/2 can cashews
2 stalks celery, cut up sm.
Mayonnaise (enough to mix salad well)

Roast chicken until done. Cut up chicken in bowl (in pieces). Cut up green onion and add to chicken. Cut up celery (small) and put in bowl. Add enough mayonnaise until well moistened. Add red grapes. Add cashew nuts. Look to see if salad is not mixed enough. If not, add more mayonnaise until well mixed. Chill for 2 hours or so before serving.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:19 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,947 times
I'm not a huge fan of salads, in general.

But, when I make my own, I sure do like them. I typically make spinach, arugula, or mixed greens salads. I'll add red onions, English cucumbers, croutons, baked or broiled chicken breast or salmon, and drizzle it with a homemade lemon vinaigrette.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:38 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times
I love Wilted Lettuce Salad, but it doesn't really fill the bill with "not a hassle". I don't really have measurements either, but I can estimate.

1 bunch read leaf lettuce, torn and put in a large bowl.
Brown 5 pieces of chopped up bacon and maybe 2 T of chopped onion. The onion browns in the bacon fat.
When done, add 1/2 C vinegar (white is fine), a few cranks of pepper, and sugar to taste (your preferance). Stir, simmering, until sugar is dissolved.
Pour hot dressing over the lettuce and toss it all together.

I also love romaine with blue cheese crumbles, tomatoes, and balsamic viniagrette. I buy the dressing, though.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Taco salad:

1/iceberg lettuce
2/ tomatoes
3/ cheddar cheese
4/ ground turkey or beef
5/ taco seasoning
6/ canned chopped olives

Prepare ground beef or turkey according to taco seasoning directions. Cut up lettuce and tomatoes and place in a bowl.
Add cheese, seasoned turkey or beef, and olives and mix well.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:20 PM

64 posts, read 83,823 times
I make a salad I really enjoy and if you are a fan of sushi or sashimi I think you will enjoy this.

3 oz leafy greens
1/2 dozen yellow grape tomatoes
A few Kalamata olives
1/2 sliced avocado
6 slices english cucumber
6 small slices of sashimi grade tuna
6 small slices of sashimi grade salmon
1/2 C white rice
1 Tbs pickled ginger slices
2 Tbs creamy caesar salad dressing
3 Tbs soy sauce mixed with wasabi to taste (a teeny bit)
Large sprinkle of sesame seeds

Place greens on dinner plate
Lay all the food on the greens
Sprinkle sesame seeds on rice
Add dressings to small cups and place on plate
Present-Enjoy!

Last edited by Cozy&Mommy; 01-20-2016 at 11:32 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 11:33 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Everything is better on a Ritz cracker.
One can Member's Mark white chicken pieces (drained)
About 1/2 cup sweet salad cubes--I don't measure, just put a couple of heaping tablespoons full with the drained chicken.
Large blob mayonnaise--have never measured it.
black pepper
I use a potato masher to mix these ingredients together then use a spoon to put the salad on a Ritz cracker. It will cover about 30/35 crackers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes