Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:08 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,289,269 times

Advertisements

Thanks E!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 12:53 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
I was made a texas chili about 20 years ago that ruined me forever.
No hamburger in my chili anymore !!! This starts with a roast ,
then things are added..

Pretty amazing and makes you think of hamburger chili as "wantabe chili"

Old 07-11-2013, 07:11 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
My favorite hot spice is chipotle in adobo sauce (I mince a couple of the chile's and use most of the adobo sauce). I also add chipotle Chile powder along with ground cumin, corriander, garlic, etc.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Years ago, I made chili from a recipe which came from Neiman Marcus. It was in the newspaper, along with versions from other places. I never copied it, so, when the original was misplaced, there went my recipe. The one upthread which mentions dark chocolate sounds very much like it, so, thanks much for including the recipe.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I put semi sweet chocolate chips in my chilli ....

Old 07-12-2013, 01:12 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Went to a party once in the 80's. They put grape jelly in their chili... Just goes to show ya there's all sorts of tastes out there.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:10 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
These discussions are always funny, so many purists (many of them clustered in a certain geographical region of the country) emphatically stating what is and isn't chili.

The first chili was likely just dried beef, beef fat (suet), dried chiles, salt, and water. So if you want to be completely technical your "authentic" chili shouldn't have any onions, garlic, bell peppers, cumin, black pepper, oregano, beer, vinegar, sugar, beef stock, etc. either. If you put garlic in your chili, it's not chili, it's hamburger soup! And how many of you use dried beef and suet in your chili?

Chili might have even originated in pre-Columbian civilization. No one really knows for sure. And it's highly unlikely the settlers making chili on the trail were such purists. They probably used whatever they had or could get. If they killed a turkey or a deer they probably used that.

If you add corn, beans, tomatoes, cactus, etc. to your chili it's still chili. People mash some cauliflower into their mashed potatoes and you don't see people declaring that it's not mashed potatoes, listing the only acceptable ingredients, and talking about what was in the first mashed potatoes. If people add okra to their vegetable soup people say "mmm that sounds good!" and "good idea!" but try to adding some okra to chili and people get all up in arms and it turns into a 20-page flame war.

Some of the ingredients people add sometimes do make me cringe a little though, e.g. celery and carrots, just because I don't think those flavors fit. But to me tomatoes round out the flavors. They should not be the dominant flavor though and should be used somewhat sparingly so that they don't overpower the dried chiles. Sliced nopales are great in chili. Black beans are alright and add some nutrition. Deer meat or bison make good chili in lieu of beef, and so on. I've even used refried beans to thicken chili, and a few times I've added black lentils.

The main things to me are chile powder (which I usually make from anchos, cascabels, chiltepin, and red jalapenos), cumin, and Mexican oregano (which I add fresh in the last ~10 minutes of cooking, don't care if it's not authentic to use fresh, it tastes better). I also usually add some coriander (seed, for the non-Americans).
sure we do. there was no chilie con carne before carne was brought here by the Spanish. Mole con pavo or turkey/foul mole was pre-columbian.

Im sure someone must have made venison con chile but chili con carne is beef. Its morphed into all kinds of crap...but such is nature of food these days. You have all these 'masters' out there re-inventing and deconstructing good old fashioned food.

chile con carne was pieces of tough beef stewed with chilies. Everything else is just imitation.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:39 AM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Most recipes use what food was available ...... beef or venison or moose or chicken. Here is a New England chili that uses C L A M S. (Perhaps it is more of a clam stew?????)

In a large, heavy saucepan, combine minced clams, clam juice, onion, pepper, chili powder, tomatoes, and tomatoes and green chilies. Bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to medium; stir in navy beans. Simmer 20 minutes.
Remove from heat; stir in heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Serve with oyster crackers.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:10 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
sure we do. there was no chilie con carne before carne was brought here by the Spanish. Mole con pavo or turkey/foul mole was pre-columbian.

Im sure someone must have made venison con chile but chili con carne is beef. Its morphed into all kinds of crap...but such is nature of food these days. You have all these 'masters' out there re-inventing and deconstructing good old fashioned food.

chile con carne was pieces of tough beef stewed with chilies. Everything else is just imitation.
Carne= meat. There was plenty of meat before the Spanish came. If it has to be beef then why isn't it called "chile con carne de res?"

Mole is not pre-Columbian, it was probably invented by Spanish monks or nuns. The Aztecs did not use chocolate in food, they only drank it, and many of the common ingredients are not even indigenous to the new world e.g. sesame seeds, cloves, peanuts, cinnamon, coriander, almonds, etc.

There are all kinds of people making different claims for the origins of chili, and have been for a long time. There's no way to know for sure where it originated and how it was made, or even when people started making it. The stories/legends/theories are all over the place.

For example:

Quote:
A Native American legend from Texas, Arizona and New Mexico claims that Chili was a dish taught to them by Venerable Sister María de Agreda. Described as a beautiful young foreign lady dressed in blue ("The Lady in Blue" or "La Dama de Azul"), in the early 1600s. This mysterious lady was a Spanish Nun who taught the Indians how to prepare a dish made with venison, spices and assorted peppers (chilis). Support for this legend can be found in the earliest known record of Sister Ágreda missionary exploits in the New World as recounted in 1670 by Bishop Jose Jimenez Samaniego of Spain. In 1888, Fr. Michael Muller's book Catholic Dogma also recounts Sister Ágreda's interactions with Native Americans in Southwestern United States.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:36 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
I grew up with tomato based chili - hamburger, dark red kidney beans, onion, lawry's chili seasoning - and cornbread of course.

I modified mine over the years - light red kidney beans, can of cheap beer, hamburger, cumin, garlic, stewed tomatoes - and the cornbread

Currently it is made with pinto beans and the above - my younger kids never liked the kidney beans so I switched. But since the girls are with grandma this week - I am making chili tonight. - Gonna use kidney beans and pinto beans.
Well I didn't make it the other night - but did last night - and I added corn to it - never did that before - I liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes