Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 08:24 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times

Advertisements

Ham & bean, aka Navy bean soup
Albondigas
Cocido
Posole
Clam chowder, both red and white
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 09:07 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,264 times
^^^ I had never heard of Albondigas or Cocido Soup....so I googled it...YUMMY! They look wonderful.

Courtney

Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,142 times
This is a variation on a Taco Soup recipe that I altered to make more chunky. Original recipe only called for one can of the tomatoes and green chilis and one can of the black beans. But I doubled it to make it more chunky. I also added the poblanos and seranos to the recipe. Original recipe only called for the jalapeno.

2 Cans Rotell diced tomatoes and green chilis
2 Cans Black Beans (I get low sodium because I try to limit salt intake)
1 Can Of Corn Kernels (or frozen corn works too)
2 Poblano Chilis (Seeded and Chopped, I leave the chunks a little larger so the soup is chunkier)
2 Jalapenos (I leave seeds in cause I like hot! but you can seed them too)
1 Serano chili chopped (omit if you don't like too spicy!)
1 Large Onion chopped
3-4 Cloves Of Garlic Chopped
1 Tablespoon Of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (Omit if you don't like it too spicey)
1 Tablespoon of Smoked Paprika
1 Tablespoon of Cumin
1 Tablespoon of Coriander
Salt
Pepper
Chicken Stock 1 1/2 quarts
1 Rotisserie Chicken (remove all meat and shop into chunks)

Sautee Poblanos, Jalapenos, Serano, Onion and Garlic in Olive Oil until semi soft. Add Black Beans, Rotell Tomatoes and Green Chilis & Corn and stir together. Add Chicken stock and the Paprika, Coriander, Cumin and Crushed Red Pepper Flakes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then bring down to a simmer and add chicken. Simmer for an hour.

Let it cool then enjoy with some sour cream on top and some fresh chopped cilantro (I also add chopped raw onion on top of mine)

This recipe is for spicey food lovers. If you don't like the heat too much make sure to leave out the serano and seed your jalapeno's and don't add the Crushed Red Pepper Flakes.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:45 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,421 times
I love French Onion soup and Martha Stewart's version of Butternut Squash soup. One of my family's favorites (especially the kids!) is Cheeseburger Soup:

Cheeseburger Soup

1 lb. ground turkey
2 tsp. onion powder (I chop 1 small onion and use that instead)
1 tsp basil
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup each frozen broccoli and cauliflower (I used fresh broccoli only instead)
1/2 cup frozen mixed veggies
1 1/2 cups fat free half and half
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

Brown ground turkey and drain off any fat. Return to large pot and add onion powder. Brown meat a little longer to flavor the meat. Add chicken broth, basil and frozen veggies. Bring to boil and simmer covered about 20 minutes or until veggies are tender.

Add half and half and cheese. Take off heat and stir until cheese melts. Do not return to heat or cheese will separate and soup will be edible, but lumpy.

Makes 8 servings of yummy soup!

Old 09-22-2010, 11:11 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I make all kinds of soups depending what I have in the crisper.. I used to favor creamy soups like butternut squash but now I prefer broth based soups.

New potato, green beans, and polish sausage chunks in a clear spicy chicken broth -- really hits the spot on a cold night.

Tortilla soup - made with chiles, zucchini, tomato, shredded chicken - served over avocado slices and under some melting jack cheese & tortilla strips -- really hits the spot on a cold night.

Tom Yum Goong - shrimp, ginger, lemon grass, lime juice, chile, those lovely canned chinese mushrooms... This is what I want when I'm sick.

Chili with lots of garnishes like cheese, sour cream, scallions and crackers -- really hits the spot on a cold night.

I'm sure more will come to me!
Debsi, I always want Tom Yum when I am sick, too!

Old 09-22-2010, 11:28 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Debsi, I always want Tom Yum when I am sick, too!
The only problem is I have to make it myself!! DH is hopeless in the kitchen. I'm lucky to get some canned Campbell's.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
The only problem is I have to make it myself!! DH is hopeless in the kitchen. I'm lucky to get some canned Campbell's.
DD will either go into town and get it for me, or make it.
DH doesnt like it, so more for us!

Old 09-22-2010, 05:56 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,517 times
Love soup!
Favorite: Chicken Corn Chowder
Close 2nd:All homemade: chicken noodle, vegetable, any combo of meat, veggies leftover
Must have hot cornbread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:03 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
Yellow split pea.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:06 PM

Good heavens, I almost forgot dal!
One of my favorite soups of all!
Masoor Dal Soup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes