Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:03 PM

59 posts, read 144,328 times

Advertisements

To 3 cartons of chicken broth add chopped
onions, garlic, bamboo shoots, bok choy, baby corn and water chestnuts.
Add amounts you like.
you can also add 1/2 and 1/2 ground beef and pork(pre cooked)
Tastes like wonton soup.
Favorite vegetables can be added as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 08:05 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty50 View Post
To 3 cartons of chicken broth add chopped
onions, garlic, bamboo shoots, bok choy, baby corn and water chestnuts.
Add amounts you like.
you can also add 1/2 and 1/2 ground beef and pork(pre cooked)
Tastes like wonton soup.
Favorite vegetables can be added as well.

Sounds good I love wonton soup.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:43 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
I'm a bit under the weather today, and having read all the soup recipes, it sounded good. I took the last chunk of leftover ham I had, boiled it till it was tender, threw in chopped onion, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and carrot, then threw in some frozen corn. SInce I had no bone left, the broth wasn't as rich as I like it, so I added some chicken soup base. Yum.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:20 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
I'm a bit under the weather today, and having read all the soup recipes, it sounded good. I took the last chunk of leftover ham I had, boiled it till it was tender, threw in chopped onion, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and carrot, then threw in some frozen corn. SInce I had no bone left, the broth wasn't as rich as I like it, so I added some chicken soup base. Yum.

Sorry you are feeling under the weather, your soup sounded really good.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:45 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,261,770 times
Thanks. I'm sure after a good night's sleep, I'll be alright. The soup was good. It hit the spot, even in 90 degree weather!

Old 09-06-2008, 05:10 PM

232 posts, read 846,178 times
Chicken soup with Spanish Rice -This is easy recipe, don't let directions scare you

Soup:
Whole chicken or whatever pieces you really love
1 whole onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
2-3 potatos, cut in half and quartered
2-4 carrots, cut in half and quartered lengthwise
2 stalks celery

Spanish Rice:
2-3 T Oil
1 1/2 C uncooked white or jasmine rice
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1-2 T chopped garlic
1 sm can tomato sauce or sm can of tomatoes (only difference is color rice ends up. I prefer the tomato sauce myself.)
2 cups chicken broth, you can use 2 cubes bullion and 2 C hot water

In large stock pot boil whole chicken (skin, bones and all), use enough water to cover. When chicken is cooked remove to cool.

Use a strainer to clean all the "floaties" from the broth and let simmer.
Drop in rest of ingredients and make rice.

Your skillet needs a lid. Have rice ingredients ready this goes quickly.
Warm heavy skillet over med-hi heat. Add oil, swirl and add rice.
Stir rice to ensure even "tanning" you want a light to medium color for best flavor. DO NOT BURN.
Add onion, continue to stir 2 mins. Add garlic, give quick stir and drop in tomato sauce or tomatoes, stirring quickly. Add broth, give a quick stir, put lid on and reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let rice rest about 5 minutes.

While rice is simmering, debone chicken, add to pot. (Yes I leave the skin on, you don't have to)

To serve, add a large spoon of rice to bowl and ladle some soup over top.
Yummy

Old 11-17-2008, 08:46 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,742,666 times
Beef barley soup

I like to use leftover steak tips or roast beef but take some beef and cut up tiny....if it is fresh beef then just cut it up and saute in a little worcestershire sauce and garlic powder just to brown.

In the meantime I take carrots, celery onion mushrooms zucchini or any fresh veggie you like. I take 3 beef bouillion cubes and two chicken (Knorr is my favorite) add to the veggies and cover with water and boil for 15 minutes then simmer for about an hour. I also add about 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning as it gives it the right flavor for some reason.
To that I add 2 each chicken broth and beef broth, 3/4 cup barley and the meat and simmer on low for a few hours to get the flavor.
This makes a big pot and it freezes well although it rarely makes it to the freezer.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:03 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,222,319 times
Suggestions on a vegetable soup recipe please.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:37 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
Suggestions on a vegetable soup recipe please.
Not sure what to say for this; are you requesting a vegetable soup for vegetarian reasons? I'd have no suggestions there. If I chicken base is OK, why not just use chicken stock, dillute with some water and add whatever vegetables you like?

I'm partial to parsnips, carrot, potatoes, tomatoes and peas. Season with salt, pepper, bay leaf and sage or whatever you like.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,222,319 times
No, not a vegetarian, I just don't like meat in my soups Everyone I know thinks that is strange, but I never eat any meat I put in soup so I might as well go without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes