Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 02:56 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,801,729 times

Advertisements

Hi, My name is Jake and I'm an addict

I have recently adopted a mostly gluten free diet and have discovered the joys of Thai Food. Rice Noodles, Wide Rice noodles, basil, lemongrass YUM!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good Thai food cookbook or recipes for thai food that I can make at home?

Or if you have the number of someone from Thailand that is an awesome good that is looking for a good home, I'll take that also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 07:28 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
There are SO many good ones. Here's a link to Amazon that I've already sorted to show you the ones with the highest positive reviews. You probably couldn't go wrong with any of the top four.

I hope you have access to a good Asian grocery store. Some of the ingredients in Thai cooking really have no American equivalents. You'll need the 'real thing.' Like these:

Fish Sauce (3 Crab or Tiparos)

Thai Curry Paste
(I prefer Mae Ploy brand)

Apparently, the authentic rice noodles are not gluten free. You'll have to stick to the Annie Chungs and Taste of Thai brands for that.

Sweet Chile Sauce
(again, Mae Ploy)

Have fun!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:26 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good Thai food cookbook or recipes for thai food that I can make at home?
I love Thai food. It’s easy to cook at home, but it often requires an inordinate amount of hard-to-find ingredients. You can make substitutions, but it doesn’t taste the same.

If you only want the occasional dish, you might be better sticking with takeout.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:42 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
David Thompson's books are really good.

Amazon.com: David Thompson: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

Be warned though, they're not for the faint of heart. His recipes are authentic, meaning that they use a lot of ingredients that may not be easy to find, and can be very labor intensive and time consuming.

Some of the ingredients you might need...

Easy to find ingredients:

lime, ginger, fish sauce, condensed milk, garlic, shallots, dried hot red chiles (bird chiles, Thai chiles, or you can use some Mexican ones like japonese or chile de arbol), cilantro, sweet basil, tomatoes, peanuts, rice (jasmine, glutinous, etc.), rice noodles, cabbage, mango

Harder to find ingredients:

Coconut milk or coconut cream- pretty easy to find in regular grocery stores nowadays in cans, better selection and cheaper at Asian markets though. They sometimes have it in Tetra Paks which is preferable.
Lemongrass- You can buy tubs of it from the freezer section at Asian markets. It's very cheap and convenient this way and retains most of the flavor of the fresh lemongrass. You can also grow some very easily. It's about as easy to grow as any other grass.
Kaffir lime leaves- you can find these at many Asian or international markets, or you can just buy a Kaffir lime tree and keep it as an attractive house plant that doubles as a convenient herb
Cilantro root- hard to find, even at Asian markets. Growing your own is an option
Palm sugar- or you can use jaggery which is found at Indian stores and is made from date or palm sap. Or you could use brown sugar, piloncillo (found in Mexican stores), or some other type of unrefined or semi-unrefined sugar, though the flavor may not be quite the same.
Galangal- spicy rhizomes that are related to ginger but have a different flavor. It can be hard to find, even at Asian stores. You can order it on the internet and keep some in the freezer. Dried galangal powder is not recommended, frozen rhizomes are a lot better.
Japanese-style long, skinny, purple eggplants- very common at Asian stores.
Small green Thai eggplants- harder to find
Straw mushrooms- easy to find canned at Asian stores, and sometimes fresh or frozen.
Thai basil- easy to grow your own, or use sweet basil. Thai basil has a strong anise scent though.
Holy basil- same as above, you can keep it as a house plant over winter. It has more a peppery/clove type of flavor. Other kinds of basil aren't a good substitution.
Lemon basil- very citrusy/perfumey flavor, other types of basil not a good substitute for lemon basil either
shrimp paste- comes in jars at Asian stores
culantro- Asian, Hispanic, Caribbean, or International stores
green mango- same as above
Thai tea mix- Asian stores

There are also pastes you can use as short cuts. The store here sells various curry pastes- red, yellow, green, panang. They're all pretty good. Not as good as homemade, but they're really convenient. You can doctor them up with some additional fresh ingredients if you want.

You can also buy pastes that you use to make Tom Yum. Just mix with water and add straw mushrooms and shrimp. You can also add some lime juice, galangal, fresh basil, lemongrass, or whatever you want to give it a more fresh taste.

Last edited by EugeneOnegin; 07-10-2013 at 01:04 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 01:00 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Apparently, the authentic rice noodles are not gluten free. You'll have to stick to the Annie Chungs and Taste of Thai brands for that.
Plain rice noodles should be gluten free, unless they got cross-contaminated with wheat in the factory or something.

Rice and water are usually the only ingredients. Sometimes they'll have tapioca or corn flour or something, but those don't contain gluten either.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:02 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
I love Thai food!

I go online and find recipe blogs, and food.com has a decent selection of Thai recipes.
Thai Style Curry Recipe - Thai.Food.com - 305282

I get spicy peanut sauce and coconut milk at the grocery store, or make my own peanut sauce. What spices I can't find at Meijers in the International Food aisle I usually find at Indian grocery stores. The spices used in Thai and Asian/Indian cooking are very often interchangeable.
I'm growing both Thai and holy basil and cilantro, and eggplants, plus I have found the Asian eggplants at the farmers' market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes