Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 02:12 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times

Advertisements

Well it is the time of the year when many of us will have squash growing out of our ears or friends that can't wait to dump a bunch on your door step. How many of you have a favorite squash casserole? I have one which was given to me about 30 years ago and I still use it.

2 med zucchinis (sliced)
2 yellow squash (sliced)
2 other squash (sliced)
1 onion: chopped
1 bell pepper, any color (chopped)
6 to 8 mushrooms (sliced)
1 package of stove top stuffing
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
1 cup grated cheese (any kind) I like swiss
1 stick of butter divided 1/2.

boil squash for a few minutes, make sure it is still firm,

place next four ingredients together in a large bowl.
drain squash; add to the bowl.
add stuffing and 1/2 the butter (melted)
add soup and sour cream
top with cheese and remainder of the butter (melted)
Pour into large casserole dish and bake in pre heated 350 degree oven until heated through, about 1/2 hour. heated.

No, I am not Paula Dean and yes, it has a few calories, but oh my is it good and we only have it once or twice a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 02:29 PM

20,894 posts, read 28,287,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well it is the time of the year when many of us will have squash growing out of our ears or friends that can't wait to dump a bunch on your door step. How many of you have a favorite squash casserole? I have one which was given to me about 30 years ago and I still use it.

2 med zucchinis (sliced)
2 yellow squash (sliced)
2 other squash (sliced)
1 onion: chopped
1 bell pepper, any color (chopped)
6 to 8 mushrooms (sliced)
1 package of stove top stuffing
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
1 cup grated cheese (any kind) I like swiss
1 stick of butter divided 1/2.

boil squash for a few minutes, make sure it is still firm,

place next four ingredients together in a large bowl.
drain squash; add to the bowl.
add stuffing and 1/2 the butter (melted)
add soup and sour cream
top with cheese and remainder of the butter (melted)
Pour into large casserole dish and bake in pre heated 350 degree oven until heated through, about 1/2 hour. heated.

No, I am not Paula Dean and yes, it has a few calories, but oh my is it good and we only have it once or twice a year.
This sounds great!!! I have to make this.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:09 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,920,878 times
So many squash; so little time!

I once read of a woman who had so much squash in her garden that her friends began hiding when they saw her drive up. She finally resorted to driving out in the country and putting a squash in each rural mailbox!!

Your recipe sounds good, nita, but I'll give it to my dtr-in-law to try - she'll cook anything.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
So many squash; so little time!

I once read of a woman who had so much squash in her garden that her friends began hiding when they saw her drive up. She finally resorted to driving out in the country and putting a squash in each rural mailbox!!

Your recipe sounds good, nita, but I'll give it to my dtr-in-law to try - she'll cook anything.
I think that was me. I didn't do the rural mail box, but one year, in NM I did have friends and neighbors who didn't want to see me. After a few months of squash everywhere the squash bugs appeared. How many people are ever happy to see squash bugs? Well I was and I bet my neighbors were as well. In fact it might have been one of them who put a few bugs in my garden..???

Old 07-02-2013, 06:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,350,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I have friends in Maine who say they cannot leave their car unlocked when thy go shopping, or the car will be full of summer squash when they return.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:15 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,576,884 times
My sister got a couple of zucchini for my garden at the beginning of the season. I thanked the stars above that we had a cold snap that ruined them before they could produce!

My recipe:

grate squash, stir into thick pancake batter, fry up squash cakes in a skillet or griddle and serve with horseradish cream & applesauce.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,355,728 times
Had a family friend who had a recipe for squash using Bisquick. It was one of those 'impossible' pies that you just mix everything in, pour it in the pan and it makes its own crust.

We loved when she came over, she would use the squash she grew in her own yard and make us the casserole. We miss her. I wish we would have gotten the recipe, she passed away very suddenly. She also had special squash - the diameter was about the size of a tennis ball, but the length was like two to three feet long.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,418,348 times
Man, anybody can leave all the squash they want in my car.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
My sister got a couple of zucchini for my garden at the beginning of the season. I thanked the stars above that we had a cold snap that ruined them before they could produce!

My recipe:

grate squash, stir into thick pancake batter, fry up squash cakes in a skillet or griddle and serve with horseradish cream & applesauce.
wow, that sounds yummy. Could you make small cakes and serve as appetizers? I think I have tried that before?

Old 07-03-2013, 03:50 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,920,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Had a family friend who had a recipe for squash using Bisquick. It was one of those 'impossible' pies that you just mix everything in, pour it in the pan and it makes its own crust.

We loved when she came over, she would use the squash she grew in her own yard and make us the casserole. We miss her. I wish we would have gotten the recipe, she passed away very suddenly. She also had special squash - the diameter was about the size of a tennis ball, but the length was like two to three feet long.
Sweetie, the recipe is on the internet. Just Google "impossible squash pie". Even if you don't make it yourself, at least you will have nice memories of your dear friend.

As for me, I'm thinking weezy has the right idea!! That sounds good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes