Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2020, 04:53 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times

Advertisements

How old are those packets of yeast? Yeast is alive, and those packets don't last forever. If they are fresh from the grocery store, all is well. If they are not, proof your yeast before using it. if you add dead yeast to your flour, the bread will never rise.

in case you've never done it, how to proof your yeast: Heat up 1/2 cup of the liquid you are going to use until it feels warm (not hot!) on the inside of your wrist (like a baby's bottle should feel). Add the yeast, and then add either a pinch of sugar or a VERY generous pinch of flour and stir the mixture. Within 5 minutes, you should see the mixture is starting to foam. If it does, great! Your yeast is alive, and you can pour the mixture into the rest of your ingredients and start mixing. If it doesn't foam, your yeast is dead - and you'll be grateful you're only throwing out a half-cup of liquid instead of several cups of flour plus any other ingredients the recipe calls for (such as eggs, oil, milk, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 05:24 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
How old are those packets of yeast? Yeast is alive, and those packets don't last forever. If they are fresh from the grocery store, all is well. If they are not, proof your yeast before using it. if you add dead yeast to your flour, the bread will never rise.

in case you've never done it, how to proof your yeast: Heat up 1/2 cup of the liquid you are going to use until it feels warm (not hot!) on the inside of your wrist (like a baby's bottle should feel). Add the yeast, and then add either a pinch of sugar or a VERY generous pinch of flour and stir the mixture. Within 5 minutes, you should see the mixture is starting to foam. If it does, great! Your yeast is alive, and you can pour the mixture into the rest of your ingredients and start mixing. If it doesn't foam, your yeast is dead - and you'll be grateful you're only throwing out a half-cup of liquid instead of several cups of flour plus any other ingredients the recipe calls for (such as eggs, oil, milk, etc.).
The yeast has a Use By date of April 2020.

Thanks for the instructions!

Old 01-09-2020, 05:29 PM

That sounds great, and I’m willing to do the work involved. Thanks for providing a recipe that meets the ingredient restrictions.

Problem is, no Dutch oven. I have a meat roasting pan with a lid but suspect that won’t do as a substitute.

Dutch oven may be worth buying for this and other foods. I’ll look into them.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:42 PM

If you want your bread to rise tall so you can slice it to make sandwiches, then you need a loaf pan. But you don't HAVE to use any sort of pan/pot to bake bread. You can just put the finished dough (after its' final kneading) on a cookie sheet and bake it that way. It will spread out sideways a bit more and so won't rise quite as high, but it will be perfectly good to eat.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:52 PM

Ooooh, the squat round loaves are fine by me! No problem; I love to eat the end right away fresh and crusty. If the other end is useless for slices, I just make croutons from it.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:55 PM

1,264 posts, read 666,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
That sounds great, and I’m willing to do the work involved. Thanks for providing a recipe that meets the ingredient restrictions.

Problem is, no Dutch oven. I have a meat roasting pan with a lid but suspect that won’t do as a substitute.

Dutch oven may be worth buying for this and other foods. I’ll look into them.
Hello Pikabike,
I think the Dutch oven is the easiest way to get a real nice crust and wonderful bread inside. Do a YouTube search for No-knead bread, I'm sure you will find a recipe to your liking. I bake predominantly sourdough breads but 90% of time use my trusty cast iron Dutch oven.
Oh if you do go to buy a D.O. make sure the handles/ knobs etc can handle high heat, my baking temp starts at 450F with lid on and 425F with lid off.
Good luck...

Old 01-09-2020, 06:49 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
I make the no knead bread pretty much weekly. Lately I've been swapping about 3/4 Cup of flour for oats and then rolling it flat after about 12 hours, smearing with ground walnuts and cinnamon and folding it in thirds before baking. It's a pretty easy recipe to add or swap ingredients and I've never had it fail. You could try it in a metal roasting pan with a lid, I use a Emile Henry ceramic tagine for mine because it has more surface than my dutch oven, I think having a lid is more important than the material that it's made of.

Here's the one I use, but the ratio can be scaled up and down pretty much 2 cups flour to 1 cup water, salt and yeast https://www.simplysogood.com/crusty-bread/

Old 01-09-2020, 09:39 PM

Whew, I’ve been perusing lots of recipes. Dogmama50, the one you linked is one of those I saw. I have regular dry yeast, not the instant kind. An article on rye bread said to use less instant yeast than dry yeast, and less dry yeast than the refrigerated kind.

Still trying to sort out all the factors. Bread sure looks like it can get complicated, depending on the chemical magic needed for particular combinations!

My eventual goal is to make a hearty, chewy, crusty loaf using whole grain flours, but I think I am going to learn breadmaking in stages.

Stage 1 (baby step) is to do a yeastless frypan bread (risen with baking powder and warm water), using the flour I have, which is much praised for fry breads. I’m not going to deep-fry it in lard as is traditional for Indian frybread. It will probably be quite edible using a very hot cast-iron pan and peanut oil.

Stage 2 will be to make a yeast-risen bread, most likely either on a metal sheet (this could be...experimental) or in the lidded roasting pan. From what I read, the lid is important for keeping steam in the dough as it bakes and preventing the top from drying out too fast.

Something tells me Stage 2 is going to require several iterations! But flour doesn’t cost much, and when I reach my long-term goal, I won’t have to gamble on whether the supermarket bakery made fresh “artisan” bread or they are leaving stale bread out before they make a new batch. Hah, even if I shell out for a Dutch oven, it will pay for itself later.

Stage 3 will be trying whole grain flours and incorporating seeds and nuts.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and references! Please free to add more tips; I really appreciate it.

Last edited by pikabike; 01-09-2020 at 09:49 PM..

Old 01-09-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Whew, I’ve been perusing lots of recipes. Dogmama50, the one you linked is one of those I saw. I have regular dry yeast, not the instant kind. An article on rye bread said to use less instant yeast than dry yeast, and less dry yeast than the refrigerated kind.

Still trying to sort out all the factors. Bread sure looks like it can get complicated, depending on the chemical magic needed for particular combinations!
Don't fret too much. While getting an absolutely perfect loaf takes some practice, it's actually very hard to make a really bad loaf of bread. And there's nothing more heavenly then fresh-baked bread, still hot from the oven, slathered with butter!

Old 01-09-2020, 10:51 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
The yeast has a Use By date of April 2020.

Thanks for the instructions!
Ignore expiration dates. Always proof yeast before adding it to the other bread ingredients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes