Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:56 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
I've been bakig them, too. I started using a recipe that has beer and vinegar. The rest is about the same. It's really good! Here's the one I made the other day.
I made a loaf of the NY Times bread this weekend.

It is definitely the best bread I ever made. Plenty of room for improvement with practice though.

The round loaf didn't rise as much as I thought it would.. Mine was sort of flat on top, not truly dome shaped.

Any suggestions? It sat on my counter for 20 hours, then I did the two hours in the floured towel it calls for. I guess my house was too cold. I don't keep it at 70. Would rising longer help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,712,128 times
Default Anyone have a good no-knead bread recipe?

I like fresh bread. I HATE kneading, letting it rise, etc., so I'm looking for some that I can just batter up and bake. Thanks!

Old 03-04-2009, 11:13 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
I've only made the New York Times recipe that there was an earlier thread about.

I need to make that again... my husband objects to the fact that I can't seem to make it without flour flying everywhere.. despite the no-knead part..

Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 AM

LOL, flour flying makes it real.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:26 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Here's the NY Times recipe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

You do have to let that rise though. I've seen other no knead recipes but they all involved giving the yeast some time to work.

Maybe Irish Soda Bread?

Irish Soda Bread Recipe | Simply Recipes

Old 03-04-2009, 06:33 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
I made bread from scratch and I never knead the bread - that's what a dough hook attached to my KitchenAid stand mixer is for.

Otherwise, here is the recipe that I have.

[SIZE=3]Yield: One 1 1/2-pound loaf.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Time: About 1 1/2 hours plus 14 to 20 hours' rising[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1/4 teaspoon instant yeast[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 1/4 teaspoons salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1. In a large [/SIZE][SIZE=3]bowl[/SIZE][SIZE=3] combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Pyrex[/SIZE][SIZE=3] or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is OK. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned[/SIZE]

Sorry - the file was too big to attach in the post so I just copied and pasted.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:27 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
How about a tasty English Muffin Bread? I have a killer recipe that is no knead, fast rising, and oh, so delicious in the morning with some butter and jam.

Or, toast a slice or two, butter, top with some bacon (Canadian bacon for us seniors), and a poached egg. Yummy.

English Muffin Bread

5 1/2 to 6 C. flour
2 pkg. Fleishman's yeast (or your preferred)
1 T. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 C. milk, warmed to 120° - 130°
1/2 C. water, also warmed
Cornmeal

Combine 3 cups flour , yeast, sugar, salt, and soda.

Add milk and water, beat well, and stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff batter. (It will be quite sticky - not like a kneaded bread dough.)

Spoon into two bread loaf pans (4x8), which have been greased (or sprayed) and sprinkled with corn meal - bottoms and sides.

Sprinkle T. or 2 cornmeal on top of each bread, also.

Cover and let rise for 45 mins.

Bake at 400° for 25 mins. Remove from pans and cool on rack. Slice the bread as you use it. (It stays moist longer.)

Enjoy!!

Old 03-06-2009, 05:43 PM

That sounds easy!

Old 11-12-2009, 06:59 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times
Default Your Favorite Homemade Bread Recipe

Please share one of your favorite Homemade Bread Recipes!

I'll go first....

1 1/2 cups warm water
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon Yeast (or one package)
1-2 tablespoons Oil or butter

1/2 cup whole grain (I like ground flax of oat Bran)
3 + cups flour (white)

I mix that all in my kitchen-aid then knead by hand.

Somewhere between the yeast and the mixing I can add any kind of spices or other goodies. Today I made an italian bread with 1 teaspoon each of basil and oregano. Also a garlic cheese bread with 3 teaspoons of that garlic seasoning stuff from Tastefully simple and 1/3 cup grated Cotija Cheese.

Let rise for 90 minutes or so
Punch down and shape
Rise for about 30 minutes or so
Bake anywhere from 350 - 425 for about 25-35 minutes.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy

Old 11-12-2009, 08:06 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
I'm so lazy.
My favorite is a simple beer bread, but I add cinnamon and raisins to the dough. The more the merrier!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes