Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 03:27 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times

Advertisements

Just got the loaves out of the oven and thought I'd jot down the recipe before I forget (especially the quantities as I'm a free-form cook). I love making bread from scratch and this new creation is a real winner!

5 cups white flour, 3 cups whole wheat flour, combined
3 cups warm buttermilk
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
5 teaspoons loose (or 2 packs) yeast
5 cups dried cranberries

Combine yeast, honey, butter, brown sugar and heated buttermilk, mix well (I whisk it) and let sit until it bubbles up well.
Stir in cranberries, then flour and mix/knead well.
Turn out dough onto floured surface and knead for about 15 minutes 'til nicely smooth and satiny.
Throw dough into large greased bowl, turn once to coat, cover and let sit until doubled in size.
Punch down dough, divide into three and shape into three round loaves (you can use bread pans but I prefer free-form!). Place loaves on baking sheet (s) - no oil necessary. Cover and let rise about 1/2 hour.
Preheat oven to 350.
Pop loaves in oven for 25-35 minutes until starting to brown.
Remove from oven, brush with melted butter (to prevent the crusts from getting too hard), pop onto wire trays to cool down.*

* I can't wait for much of a cool-down and two slices were devoured while the bread was still very warm. I love butter but didn't even spread any on the bread as it was wildly delicious without it.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,049 times
Sounds great!

Old 07-29-2013, 07:48 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,279,529 times
I haven't made bread in a long time but I'll have to try this. Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes