Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 07:31 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times

Advertisements

Any ideas for recipes for kids (to make) that are well suitable for adult dining. In other words not your kid's version of mac and cheese. More upscale that kids would like to make and eat along with adults.

Age group 7-13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 09:28 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,072 times
Chicken parm. You can either do the prebreaded cutlest, fry 'em up to heat or make them from fresh cutlets, eggs and bread crumbs,, pour homemade or bottled tomato sauce on top and top with mozzerella cheese. Boil spaghetti and use the remaining sauce for the pasta. Side salad.

Pizza. Supermarket dairy or deli depts. have premade fresh dough, then all you need is sauce, cheese and topping of your choice.

Hamburgers, broiled, grilled or in cast iron fry pan with a 1000 and 1 different cheese choices and other various toppings.

Pigs in a blanket; hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls, and baked til done, again with various topping, adds. With a big salad, dinner done.

Baked, stuffed potatoes with a multitude of topping/stuffing options.

I probably could think of more later, but my brain is telling me today is OVER.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:41 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
...prebreaded...premade...hamburgers...hot dogs
Not the words I would use to motivate a young cook.

The OP needs to decide if the young cook will be supervised (a stovetop/oven is quite hot) and the expectations (gourmet, tailgate, main course, dessert). An excellent menu can be derived provided the expectations are known up-front.

Ask for a rock and you'll get a rock, ask for a gem and you'll force them to think.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:06 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
beef stew maybe? each child can cut veggies and every toss them in a pot. Maybe some kind of roll/bread?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:09 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Simple and fancy looking to boot. Plus it allows the kids to learn a few different techniques. I have taught my kids to make these dishes.

Asparagus (how to find a good one, snap it to see where to cut, steam etc) with hollandaise sauce (learning the basics of sauce makings, my oldest learned at 8 and is a pro now at it)

Filet mignon with caramelized balsamic onions. (learning about searing, caramelizing, reductions etc) Beef Tenderloins con Balsamico : Recipes : Cooking Channel

Cracked potatoes - (having fun with whacking the potatoes, science of cooking )Yukon Gold Potatoes: Jacques Pepin Style Recipe : Rachael Ray : Recipes : Food Network

Whole roasted chicken stuffed with lemons and rosemary and drippings gravy (classic prep of a whole chicken, rubbing inside and out for flavor etc and learning the basics of gravy making)

Old 10-02-2013, 11:23 AM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times
My kids learned in that age to make lentil or goulash soup. Noodle casseroles or any type of casserole is great too.A mixed salad is easy and fun for them to make also. Spaghetti and meatballs is not that difficult either.I think it is a must to get our young generation prepared how to cook,food will be more appreciated too. It worked in my household very nicely.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:52 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
Tacos
A quick chicken stir fry
Though I would not consider it fancy it could be fun doing a breakfast for dinner buffet
With animal products and oven/stove an adult I would think needs to be present

Old 10-03-2013, 04:38 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
Manicotti -- the pasta is cheap, so you can buy extra for tubes destroyed in handling before they're stuffed. They can make the sauce from scratch, and even make the ricotta from scratch with heavy cream, lemon juice & salt. And that way every kid can get a chance at stuffing a few tubes.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:03 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
I think I would make sure they can read a cook book, from there I would let them tackle whatever I think they could handle. Most of us started out following a recipe, we didn't just put something in a pan and turn on the burner of the stove. I would also encourage a young person to ask questions, cooking is a learning process that is never ending.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Ask what they'd like to make and tailor the recipe or prep method to their age, skill level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes