Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 07:14 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,816,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Did anyone ever try this trick on how to make boxed cake taste like it came from a bakery?
Step 1: Look at the directions on the cake mix
Step 2: Add one more egg (or add 2 if you want it to be very rich)
Step 3: Use melted butter instead of oil and double the amount
Step 4: Instead of water, use milk.
Step 5: Mix well and bake for the time recommended on the box.

Makes sense if you think about it but I'm wondering if anybody here has done this.
Most (not all) but most bakeries tend to use more commercialized items in their bakeries to cut back on costs. So they wouldn't use real butter or fresh milk etc. Usually it's shortening, powdered milk etc. They also use a lot of extracts/flavorings. If they do use butter, it's most often blocks of unsalted butter in the better ones. I adore a French one locally here that uses European butter. Mmmhmm.

So I would add extra extract to the mixes, whatever flavor it is. If lemon, I would add lemon extract and zest of a lemon. I agree with adding an egg. Instead of adding milk, I would add powdered milk.

I actually adore buttermilk based cake recipes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 09:50 AM

555 posts, read 1,259,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Most (not all) but most bakeries tend to use more commercialized items in their bakeries to cut back on costs. So they wouldn't use real butter or fresh milk etc. Usually it's shortening, powdered milk etc. They also use a lot of extracts/flavorings. If they do use butter, it's most often blocks of unsalted butter in the better ones. I adore a French one locally here that uses European butter. Mmmhmm.

So I would add extra extract to the mixes, whatever flavor it is. If lemon, I would add lemon extract and zest of a lemon. I agree with adding an egg. Instead of adding milk, I would add powdered milk.

I actually adore buttermilk based cake recipes.

I've used buttermilk in cake recipes and I agree, it's delish!

I've also found that many bakeries use lard or shortening in their cakes (and even in frostings). While I can always detect it in a piece of bakery cake, most people don't. I prefer butter all the time.

What is European butter? Sounds really good!

Old 10-11-2013, 10:17 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,816,782 times
European butters and even Australian/New Zealand butters are da bomb.

Anchor, Presidente, Lurpak, Kerry Gold, Plugra (not a fave though) or Elle vire.

The Elle Vire is what they use at the french bakery near me. So good!

Old 10-11-2013, 11:20 AM

555 posts, read 1,259,004 times
Sounds just wonderful Momtothree! Thanks for the info!

Old 10-11-2013, 06:55 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,111 times
Sounds awesome

Old 04-13-2014, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,409 times
I tried the recipe with the milk butter & extra eggs, made me ANGRY. They shriveled, I'm so MAD, NEVER again

Old 04-13-2014, 09:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
I don't generally like bakery cakes if it's from, say, a grocery store bakery. Specialty, stand-alone bakeries, in my experience, are more likely to have products that taste like real food and less like synthetic chemistry sets. My favorites are a patisserie in my area run by a small order of French nuns who donate the bulk of the proceeds to charity, and a Mexican bakery that makes glorious tres leches cakes.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:36 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,227,961 times
I prefer to bake my own but in a pinch I'll use all-natural/organic cake mix, because the conventional ones are loaded with artificial additives and flavorings - especially the 'flavoured' ones like the fake butter pecan, blech! Dr Oetker makes a very good all-natural one. It's very good as is, but I remember trying a recipe to dress it up - I believe instead of the water and butter it called for an extra egg (so like 3 total I think) and some amount of sour cream. The result was a much richer, denser cake that was really good, however I probably prefer the original version as it's lighter and fluffier.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
European butters and even Australian/New Zealand butters are da bomb.

Anchor, Presidente, Lurpak, Kerry Gold, Plugra (not a fave though) or Elle vire.

The Elle Vire is what they use at the french bakery near me. So good!
I use European butter, I'm no baker but I use it for every day, being a Brit I find all American butters taste like margarine , same as American frosting , taste like air .

Old 04-19-2014, 07:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
I usually make cakes from scratch but when I use a commercial mix I add pudding mix for a taste boost and richer consistency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes