Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 04:50 PM

133 posts, read 281,089 times

Advertisements

White Chili

2 boneless skinless chicken breast or 4 boneless skinless thighs - cut into bite size pieces
2 cups cooked Great Northern beans (or 1 cup dried)
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tbs oil or bacon drippings (excess fat from cooking bacon)
1 can mild green chile (3 oz.)
1 tbs ground cumin
Black Pepper to taste
4 cups chicken broth

If using dried beans, soak overnight, then cook in enough water (6 cups) until tender.

Heat oil or drippings in large pot. When it starts to smoke add chicken. Saute until it's about half cooked. Added onions and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Cook for 30-45 minutes or until beans start to break up and thicken. Serve with cornbread.

Senate Bean Soup

2 cups Great Northern beans
2 ham hocks
2 stalks celery - diced
2 carrots - peeled and diced
1 cup diced onions (use your best guess as to how many onions that is - 1 large, 2 medium-4 small)
1 tsp dried thyme
1 cup leftover mashed potatoes (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Soak beans overnight. (in case you didn't know this cuts HOURS off the cooking time)
Place beans and ham hocks in large pot. Cover with excess water - at least 2 inches over the level of the ingredients. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Let cook for 45 minutes to an hour. Add carrots, celery and onions. Add water if needed. Cook another 20 minutes or until tender. Add thyme and potatoes. Cook 10 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Last edited by MRBookworm; 10-10-2013 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: missed a point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 09:00 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,485,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Thanks. I'm making the escarole and white bean soup. Today's rainy and cold, so it's the perfect weather for soup. I'll let you know how it turns out.
It was a hit! I made a lot, so I'm looking forward to another meal from it which I think will taste even better tomorrow.

This is the recipe I used. I added more broth, so it came out like more of a thick, hearty soup, than a stew.
Spicy Sausage, Escarole & White Bean Stew

Old 10-10-2013, 09:03 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
I have a big bag of dried Great Northern beans. I've never cooked them before and am looking for a really good recipe to make tonight.

Does anyone have any great recipes to share?
Throw them in a pot with some salt pork and an onion. That's all you need. (Be sure to to cook the beans with the lid OFF to remove the fart from the beans).

Serve with cornbread.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-10-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBookworm View Post
White Chili

2 boneless skinless chicken breast or 4 boneless skinless thighs - cut into bite size pieces
2 cups cooked Great Northern beans (or 1 cup dried)
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tbs oil or bacon drippings (excess fat from cooking bacon)
1 can mild green chile (3 oz.)
1 tbs ground cumin
Black Pepper to taste
4 cups chicken broth

If using dried beans, soak overnight, then cook in enough water (6 cups) until tender.

Heat oil or drippings in large pot. When it starts to smoke add chicken. Saute until it's about half cooked. Added onions and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Cook for 30-45 minutes or until beans start to break up and thicken. Serve with cornbread.

Senate Bean Soup

2 cups Great Northern beans
2 ham hocks
2 stalks celery - diced
2 carrots - peeled and diced
1 cup diced onions (use your best guess as to how many onions that is - 1 large, 2 medium-4 small)
1 tsp dried thyme
1 cup leftover mashed potatoes (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Soak beans overnight. (in case you didn't know this cuts HOURS off the cooking time)
Place beans and ham hocks in large pot. Cover with excess water - at least 2 inches over the level of the ingredients. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Let cook for 45 minutes to an hour. Add carrots, celery and onions. Add water if needed. Cook another 20 minutes or until tender. Add thyme and potatoes. Cook 10 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Thanks. I'll give those a try too, as the weather gets cooler.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
(Be sure to to cook the beans with the lid OFF to remove the fart from the beans).

Old 10-11-2013, 04:34 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
The owner of my favorite Mexican Restaurant is an excellent chef. He told me when he cooks pinto beans for use in his restaurant he quarters a large onion and puts it in the pot when he boils the beans. Supposedly that helps reduce the gas you may have from eating his beans. I don't know that it works like he thinks it does. I have found that beans taste better the second day you have them. It is also good to know that canned chicken broth, canned beef broth, and the liquid you put bouillon cubes in is very high is sodium. Sodium, aka salt, is known to raise blood pressure extremely high if you are one of those people that has a blood pressure problem. I recently was told by my doctor to drastically reduce my intake of beans and everything else that was high is potassium (many fibrous foods) because of my kidney function (or lack of function). He told me a long time ago to stop using processed foods that were high is sodium/salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes