Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:08 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston
Anyway......ham and bean soup...excellent.
Yes I had my second bowl of it on monday..... Not bad at all!!!! (White beans,etc)

Had it @ a diner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 04:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I had (have) a lot of left over ham because I baked a whole butt portion ham 8 lb and there are just two of us. My DP doesn't like left-overs so that makes it hard. I have made ham scalloped potatoes, eaten sliced ham with potato salad and yesterday I made a ham and navy bean soup with the bone and some cut up pieces of ham.

I had never made ham and bean soup before....years ago I used to do pea soup with ham bone.
I just love the soup....I let it mellow in fridge overnight and just had a big bow. Wonderful! And it was so simple.

Now I know my DP wont eat that either....he isn't fond of beans. He is Japanese and in Japan beans are pretty much limited to "red bean paste" as a desert filling or humongous beans like fava beans that his mother boils and eats as a snack.

How do you use left over ham?
Luckily spoiled brat does eat left overs and I use the ham exactly the way you say, you do. We cut some for sandwiches or with eggs, I usually do scalloped potatoes and yes, either ham and beans or split pea soup. They are both so tasty, so healthy and so easy. Too bad your hubby doesn't realize how wonderful bean soup can be.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:32 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
I cut the ham up, and froze it I am taking out a package at a time, so no ham overload here. We had stir fried rice the other day, and ham and pineapple pizza. I am waiting on soup for when it gets very cold. I like white bean soup, with the beans liquefied in the blender.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:30 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Pigs are smarter than dogs, so I don't eat them.

Was Your Meat Smarter Than Your Pet? - ABC News
Whatever floats your boat. If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them so tasty... He would have made them taste like Tofu instead of meat.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:21 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I had (have) a lot of left over ham because I baked a whole butt portion ham 8 lb and there are just two of us. My DP doesn't like left-overs so that makes it hard. I have made ham scalloped potatoes, eaten sliced ham with potato salad and yesterday I made a ham and navy bean soup with the bone and some cut up pieces of ham.

I had never made ham and bean soup before....years ago I used to do pea soup with ham bone.
I just love the soup....I let it mellow in fridge overnight and just had a big bow. Wonderful! And it was so simple.

Now I know my DP wont eat that either....he isn't fond of beans. He is Japanese and in Japan beans are pretty much limited to "red bean paste" as a desert filling or humongous beans like fava beans that his mother boils and eats as a snack.

How do you use left over ham?
I wish I had your problems when it comes to having too much left over ham. When my wife buys ham, she buys bone in ham that needs to be baked. I prefer this kind of ham over every other form of ham on the market. When we finally decide he have had enough ham for awhile we put the remainder in "Food Saver" bags and put the bags in the freezer. If you use these bags and exhaust all the air out of them before they are sealed you will never have any meat with freezer burns, and the meat will last much longer than simply wrapping it in freezer paper. Ham is one of the most delicious meat you can find when it is baked.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:05 PM

133 posts, read 280,927 times
Default Re: Leftover Ham

BBQ Ham

1 lb leftover ham sliced or cubed
1/2 cup catsup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbs worchestershire sauce
2 tbs yellow mustard
hot sauce (tabasco or equivalent) to taste
water as needed

Put cooked ham into pan with other ingredients

Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Let cook until sauce is thick and glistening.

Serve with bread as a sandwich, or over rice.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:06 PM

48,110 posts, read 21,990,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBookworm View Post
BBQ Ham

1 lb leftover ham sliced or cubed
1/2 cup catsup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbs worchestershire sauce
2 tbs yellow mustard
hot sauce (tabasco or equivalent) to taste
water as neede

Put cooked ham into pan with other ingredients

Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Let cook until sauce is thick and glistening.

Serve with bread as a sandwich, or over rice.
Sounds delicious.....my ham is all gone now.....well still some ham salad.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:48 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,863,936 times
I save the bone portion to make red beans and rice that is SO yummy. I also saw a recipe online for ham and pineapple kebobs. I think I might try that for dinner this week too. My son doesn't care for mayo so sandwiches and salads won't fly around here.

Thanks for the thread and great ideas!

Old 04-21-2014, 10:51 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,088,778 times
If you don't want to make traditional ham and beans, make Red Beans and Rice, using dried red beans, rice, smoked sausage and left-over ham. This is so good and a bit different from the traditional ham and beans. PM me if you want my recipe.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:50 AM

802 posts, read 642,042 times
(Deviled) Ham Salad! Yum!
Senate Bean Soup
Lentil Soup (have a big pot in the fridge now)
Fried rice
Ham and (pinto) beans
Split pea soup
Hammy Whammies - sliced thin on toasted hamburger buns with cheese and a fried egg on top
Omelets
Quiche
Sandwiches
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes