Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 12:36 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,786,156 times

Advertisements

I made this dish last night and it is just incredible.

If any of you have been fortunate enough to try butter poached lobster you already know how well this technique works. This will produce one of the most decadent and delicious seafood dishes you will ever eat.

First of all, because this is so rich, it is best served as an appetizer . The shrimp can be served over grits or it can served with a small salad drizzled with an acidic dressing.

There are a few suggestions before we begin.
  • Don't rush the process - let the butter melt slowly as you want to try to avoid separation of the butter solids. However, if it the solids do separate don't worry because it will still be great.
  • Resist the temptation to add herbs and spices to the butter - this dish is all about the shrimp. This is about closing your eyes and experiencing a perfectly cooked shrimp bathed in luscious butter.
  • Try to find some fresh Gulf shrimp. Frozen shrimp will also work, but we're talking about experiencing the best a shrimp can offer. Make sure the shrimp hasn't been "peeled and deveined" because you're going to want to monitor this journey all the way to the table.
Here we go...
  • Peel and devein about five large shrimp per person (this is an appetizer). I like to twist-off the tail fans (the part past the last bit of tail meat), split the skin from the head-end with my fingers, then pull the skin off. I devein with a sharp paring knife.
  • Cut two - three sticks of unsalted butter into small chunks.
  • Put 1 TBSP of water per butter stick in a heavy-bottomed saucepan - preferably a smaller size saucepan.
  • Heat the water to simmering (about 170°F - 180°F) and whisk-in a few chunks of butter.
  • Keep whisking and adding chunks of butter until they have all been incorporated. Remember, keep the butter moving and keep the temp around 170°F - 180°F.
  • Add the shrimp to the butter in batches of five or six at a time.
  • Cook each batch for 7 - 9 minutes and remove (taste one in the first batch to make sure they are cooked to your liking). Make sure the butter is holding temperature at 170°F - 180°F while cooking the shrimp.
  • Remove the shrimp, place in a bowl, and start the next batch.
  • Serve the shrimp to your guests and wait for their reaction .

Old 10-13-2013, 07:15 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,091,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I made this dish last night and it is just incredible.

If any of you have been fortunate enough to try butter poached lobster you already know how well this technique works. This will produce one of the most decadent and delicious seafood dishes you will ever eat.

First of all, because this is so rich, it is best served as an appetizer . The shrimp can be served over grits or it can served with a small salad drizzled with an acidic dressing.

There are a few suggestions before we begin.
  • Don't rush the process - let the butter melt slowly as you want to try to avoid separation of the butter solids. However, if it the solids do separate don't worry because it will still be great.
  • Resist the temptation to add herbs and spices to the butter - this dish is all about the shrimp. This is about closing your eyes and experiencing a perfectly cooked shrimp bathed in luscious butter.
  • Try to find some fresh Gulf shrimp. Frozen shrimp will also work, but we're talking about experiencing the best a shrimp can offer. Make sure the shrimp hasn't been "peeled and deveined" because you're going to want to monitor this journey all the way to the table.
Here we go...
  • Peel and devein about five large shrimp per person (this is an appetizer). I like to twist-off the tail fans (the part past the last bit of tail meat), split the skin from the head-end with my fingers, then pull the skin off. I devein with a sharp paring knife.
  • Cut two - three sticks of unsalted butter into small chunks.
  • Put 1 TBSP of water per butter stick in a heavy-bottomed saucepan - preferably a smaller size saucepan.
  • Heat the water to simmering (about 170°F - 180°F) and whisk-in a few chunks of butter.
  • Keep whisking and adding chunks of butter until they have all been incorporated. Remember, keep the butter moving and keep the temp around 170°F - 180°F.
  • Add the shrimp to the butter in batches of five or six at a time.
  • Cook each batch for 7 - 9 minutes and remove (taste one in the first batch to make sure they are cooked to your liking). Make sure the butter is holding temperature at 170°F - 180°F while cooking the shrimp.
  • Remove the shrimp, place in a bowl, and start the next batch.
  • Serve the shrimp to your guests and wait for their reaction .
You make this dish sound exquisite! How can any of us that like shrimp resist? We are going to try this in the near future. It is a good thing I'm not on some kind of a fat free diet... Thank you for posting this, I've saved it in my recipe file.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:26 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,460,021 times
I am going to try this one! Thanks.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:15 PM

When I specify Large shrimp I'm referring to the 26-30 shrimp per pound size. I'm not kidding when I say this is a rich dish - the butter permeates the shrimp. It's definitely an appetizer-type dish, so don't provide too many per guest before your main course. If it's you and/or your family just dig-in and enjoy.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:31 PM

32,804 posts, read 36,064,857 times
An elegant sufficiency...

Old 07-06-2014, 02:27 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,733,861 times
I am looking for a new way of preparing shrimp. I may give this a try for tonight's dinner - it sounds tantalizing.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I am looking for a new way of preparing shrimp. I may give this a try for tonight's dinner - it sounds tantalizing.
If you're in Alaska - you have access to some wonderful sweet shrimp. Let us all know how your shrimp turn-out.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:57 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,733,861 times
I just realized that the recipe calls for unsalted butter. All I have is salted - have you ever prepared it with salted and noticed a difference?

Old 07-06-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I just realized that the recipe calls for unsalted butter. All I have is salted - have you ever prepared it with salted and noticed a difference?
It works with salted butter - I just like to have control over how much salt is used.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:11 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,246,381 times
Something I want to try. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes