U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:13 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,001,437 times

Advertisements

I use half cornbread and half white bread. I melt a stick of butter, add a can of chicken broth, chopped celery (leaves and all) and onions and cook until the veggies are done. I add this to the bread mixture along with 2 raw eggs, lots of sage, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. If I need more liquid, I add some of the water from the pan in which I boiled the gizzards and neck bones. It never turns out soggy or dry. The giblet gravy NEVER, EVER has boiled eggs!

Leftovers never last more than a day!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 04:06 AM

40,196 posts, read 19,601,218 times
I made cornbread stuffing with day old buttermilk cornbread and some Pepperidge farm white bread and a few ritz crackers....last night. I did add a couple of eggs. I cooked it in my black cast iron skillet.....and It was very good...perhaps wonderful. I have been trying to make it for some time and all my other attempts...were less than successful. I think I was channeling all you good cooks and some I meet thru Google, on the topic.

Thanks for the hints, enthusiasm and commitment to you traditions.....it definitely helped.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:27 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 18 days ago)

54,589 posts, read 42,763,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Amen. Those juices and fat make for the "bread" in cornbread stuffing/dressing.
True. I put eggs in my cornbread dressing, but they're not for binding. They are very finely diced boiled eggs, almost grated they're so finely diced. I put those in the giblet gravy as well. This is a very old family recipe going back at least 100 years (my 82 year old MIL's mother and grandmother made it - central Louisiana).

Old 10-31-2013, 08:45 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,234,902 times
There's still that difference between dressing and stuffing. With just two people to cook for, there's a limit to the size of any bird that's going to get roasted, but not so much of a limit on desires for yummy leftovers. The stuffing that goes into the bird(s) doesn't need an egg. The dressing that gets baked by itself does. At least in my kitchen.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:10 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,603,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
There's still that difference between dressing and stuffing. With just two people to cook for, there's a limit to the size of any bird that's going to get roasted, but not so much of a limit on desires for yummy leftovers. The stuffing that goes into the bird(s) doesn't need an egg. The dressing that gets baked by itself does. At least in my kitchen.
Yes I do mine separate too in a pan, I've always called it stuffing , it just doesn't get stuffed in the bird .

Old 10-31-2013, 10:36 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,572,084 times
My grandmother put eggs in her stuffing..
It always had awesome flavor but to me it was more like thick bread pudding..
Never fluffy..

Old 10-31-2013, 12:28 PM

77,454 posts, read 90,110,874 times
I have heard of people putting eggs in the stuffing but I just make it pretty much like my dad did. I save my old bread for months (put it in the freezer, then I toast it the day before Turkey day. I break it up into little pieces, use slightly browned celery, onions, mushrooms, either browned bacon or sausage and some spices, like seasoning salt, garlic, pepper and sage. I mix everything together with a little milk. When it is all blended we stuff the bird. We used to stuff him/her the night before but now I always wait til the day of roasting. Our dressing is always moist and very tasty.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:29 PM

40,319 posts, read 49,868,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
It helps bind the stuffing together in a bread stuffing. (Not in a cornbread stuffing though)
This is actually for a dressing recipe and is not stuffed inside the turkey. The top gets crunchy and golden, and then we mix it up before serving to give it a nice texture.
This makes sense, for stuffing baked in a pan instead of the bird.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:27 PM

18,305 posts, read 22,696,752 times
I like the stuffing in the bird because the turkey and it's juices give the stuffing so much extra flavor. Whatever does not fit into the bird we bake in a separate casserole dish. My favorite part is the stuffing that sticks out and get crispy.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:48 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,603,788 times
I was always a bit afraid the stuff the bird as I read that you have to make sure every bit gets taken out ,none left inside for too long...no idea why ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes