Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 08:19 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times

Advertisements

I adore the texture of these cookies:

I can't find a recipe similar to it that works. I tried a few copycat recipes and it's either too crispy or flavor is waaaaay off. Anyone have a tried and true iced molasses cookie recipe they like? I don't like crispy cookies and prefer them soft and chewy. Which is a hard consistency to achieve! So any tips would help too. I am not a great baker and more it's ugly as sin but at least it tastes good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 10:30 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
You might try making them and then let them sit in a paper bag for 6 months before you eat them.

Molasses should make for a chewy cookie. More flour, less fat will make them thicker and less crispy.

Maybe try a gingerbread recipe and instead of baking it as a cake, drop it onto a cookie sheet and bake as cookies.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:38 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I adore the texture of these cookies:

I can't find a recipe similar to it that works. I tried a few copycat recipes and it's either too crispy or flavor is waaaaay off. Anyone have a tried and true iced molasses cookie recipe they like? I don't like crispy cookies and prefer them soft and chewy. Which is a hard consistency to achieve! So any tips would help too. I am not a great baker and more it's ugly as sin but at least it tastes good.

I love those Archway cookies too, but generally don't make Molasses cookies at home much. I do have a recipe but I confess I haven't used it yet. I'm sending you a link. If you try them, let me know what you think. Here it is: Iced Molasses Cookies Recipe

Old 11-04-2013, 04:45 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
I love Archway cookies, especially those iced molasses, frosty lemon, and ginger snaps - yummmm...

Old 11-04-2013, 04:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Was this one of the ones you've tried?

Middle of the Night Molasses Cookies - h o m e * e c o n o m i c s

Old 11-04-2013, 04:54 PM

Yes! I tried that one ^ and the next few when you Google archway molasses recipe. I like the package but would love it to be a bit more moist. Going to try the I one suggested here. Thanks

Old 11-05-2013, 04:43 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,031 times
This is the recipe I have used and it makes nice soft cookies. Hope you like these.

Soft Molasses Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter - I use margarine
1 cup sugar - will need a bit to roll cookies in
1/2 cup molasses
2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/8 teaspoon cloves
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 eggs = large
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Note: This dough chills for one hour. After the chilling period preheat oven at 350 F. Lightly grease the baking sheets or use parchment paper.

Cream together the margarine/butter in a large bowl (I use the mixer). Add molasses to the mixture and mix on low. Then add the spices, baking soda and salt. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Mix in the flour, scrape the bowl sides. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour.

After chilling, use a tablespoon to scoop out and roll dough into balls about 1 1/2 inch. Roll balls in granulated sugar and put on the baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes until they look puffy. (note ovens vary so adjust time if necessary). Cool on pan. Makes about 4 dozen.

Note: Cookies aren't really too dark after baking but taste really good.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:20 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,947 times
I make these every Christmas and people RAVE about them. I have tried a lot of recipes and these have the best texture and taste by far.

Chewy molasses cookies
• 2 1/4 cups all vegetable solid shortening ( 1 cup butter and 1 ¼ cup shortening)
• 2 1/2 cups white sugar , divided
• 2 cups brown sugar
• 3/4 cup molasses
• 3 eggs
• 6 cups white flour
• 2 T baking soda
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 3 teaspoons cinnamon
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
• 1 T ground ginger
• 1 T vanilla

Directions:
1. Preheat oven 350°F.
2 Mix on low speed electric mixer shortening, molasses, 1 cup sugar and eggs. Cream mixture.
3 Slowly add the remaining ingredients except 1/2 cup of white sugar. Mix on medium (you may need to use your hands to finish). Chill dough for an hour before baking.
4 Get 1/2 cup mixed brown and white sugar and pour into plate. By teaspoonful roll dough into ball then into sugar. Place each cookie on greased baking sheet. Bake 7 minutes (ONE tray at a time~!!)
You are looking for cookie to puff up and start to crack slightly.
5 Take out as soon as cookies appear to have cracks all over. This will ensure you have a chewy cookie.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 AM

Thanks everyone, will be trying them this week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes