Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 05:06 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,594,963 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking the quick-cook oats have more to do with it than anything else. They're par-cooked and redried, so they don't absorb as much moisture as long-cooking rolled oats do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 06:06 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,569,046 times
Hmmm....the only thing I can think of is the time I made oatmeal raisin cookies and they came out wrong - I had mistakenly bought light butter (margarine actually) and had it in the freezer. I always double the recipe for my DH, so I grabbed 3 sticks of (butter) and didn't notice it was the light stuff. It has too much water in it - the dough was too wet and spread something awful, stuck even to the parchment paper, the cookies stuck together, and I ended up taking them out and pitching them in the yard so the birds could maybe eat them. Hope I didn't kill any of them. Maybe there was still too much moisture in the dates, was your baking soda fresh?, also - did you use the old fashioned or the quick cooking oats - your recipe mentions both and I got a bit confused. I know this is a variation on your usual one - if you want to try the one I always use let me know. I got it off of Big Oven about six or seven years ago, and have always doubled the recipe. My hubby loves them - and they do smell delicious. I hate raisins personally, but someday I may make me some with chocolate chips in them instead!!! Not sure what to do with your remaining dough - I guess you could just use it up otherwise you'll end up wasting it. As long as it tastes good, it would be fine on ice cream or even mix it as a strudel topping on some pumpkin bread or apple bread. Nobody would be the wiser!!!!

Old 11-17-2013, 10:34 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,209,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
-------------------------recipe I used - I doubled everything---------------------------------
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts

SAVE ON THIS RECIPE!
Steps
1 Heat oven to 350°F. Spray cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray. In large bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar and margarine; beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; blend well. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Stir in oats, raisins and nuts.
2 Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto sprayed cookie sheets.
3 Bake at 350°F. for 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets.

Use old-fashioned rolled oats instead of quick-cooking rolled oats.
Instead of raisins, use your favorite dried fruit. Try dried apricots, blueberries, cherries, cranberries, chopped dates or figs, or mixed fruit bits.
Found something that might make them spread, did you spray the cookie sheet like it said in your directions? The original Quaker Oats recipe has ungreased cookie sheet:
Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets
It need something to grip to raise on. Maybe that is another factor.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,035,126 times
well- I did use regular oats but I did spray the sheet. Maybe that is the problem. i kneaded in flour and baking powder as somebody else suggested, wrapped it in the saran wrap and stuck it in the fridge. Since then I've been grabbing a pinch here and there of raw dough and it is wonderful but my children keep asking "Where are the rest of the cookies?" Bad Mommie!

Old 11-19-2013, 08:52 PM

Ah, you should bake one on an ungreased cookie sheet and see how it turns out. Yeah raw dough is the best.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:33 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,289,506 times
I always bake chilled cookie dough. That way the exterior of the cookie sets. If the dough it too warm, the interior will melt and spread. Form the cookies first and them chill them in the fridge for a couple of hours. It’s the secret if you want thick, Mrs. Fields-style cookies. I also always bake on parchment paper.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I always bake chilled cookie dough. That way the exterior of the cookie sets. If the dough it too warm, the interior will melt and spread. Form the cookies first and them chill them in the fridge for a couple of hours. It’s the secret if you want thick, Mrs. Fields-style cookies. I also always bake on parchment paper.
yes of course- sometimes I forget but the truth is if I don't make cookies right away I will eat all the raw cookie dough and my kids are just as bad. why is cookie dough better than cookies?

Old 12-02-2013, 09:59 AM

Came across this guide this morning from Handletheheat.com the site is kind of slow but this guide shows what to do if the cookie doesn't turn out, following the standard recipe and changing one ingredient

Old 12-02-2013, 11:03 AM

thanks kayekaye. neat site I never knew about.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:47 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,932,350 times
I know your pain NK. I had a thread about the same thing a while back: //www.city-data.com/forum/recip...es-spread.html

It helped to use Crisco for 1/2 the butter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes