U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 08:03 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,248,790 times

Advertisements

Just in time for T-giving:

Have any of you made a pecan pie without HFCS? What optimized recipe did you find to be the best? There exist a few online, each with a different tweak. I'm wondering what works the best.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 12:22 AM

3,777 posts, read 5,101,050 times
I've used molasses and brown sugar instead of hfcs in the filling and it was great.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:59 AM

12,971 posts, read 25,309,916 times
Just to be clear, corn syrup was invented in 1882, and was a kitchen staple for nearly 80 years before HFCS first appeared in commercial kitchens in the 1960s, delivered in big railroad tanker cars. It's sold only to commercial food producers, and is not available in consumer-sized packages. What is sold in supermarkets is NOT HFCS.

Buy a bottle of good old Karo corn syrup, or whatever brand yo' momma used to use, and use it to make that good old pecan pie the way it's been made at home for so many generations, and just don't worry about it.

Here you go... Karo Syrup - Classic Pecan Pie

Old 11-18-2013, 01:16 AM

918 posts, read 930,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Just in time for T-giving:

Have any of you made a pecan pie without HFCS? What optimized recipe did you find to be the best? There exist a few online, each with a different tweak. I'm wondering what works the best.

Well, corn syrup isn't HFCS. It's different. But honey, mollasses, or golden syrup if you can find it in a UK section of a grocery store would all work.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:21 PM

18,434 posts, read 31,219,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Just to be clear, corn syrup was invented in 1882, and was a kitchen staple for nearly 80 years before HFCS first appeared in commercial kitchens in the 1960s, delivered in big railroad tanker cars. It's sold only to commercial food producers, and is not available in consumer-sized packages. What is sold in supermarkets is NOT HFCS.

Buy a bottle of good old Karo corn syrup, or whatever brand yo' momma used to use, and use it to make that good old pecan pie the way it's been made at home for so many generations, and just don't worry about it.

Here you go... Karo Syrup - Classic Pecan Pie
That is what I have always used. I had no idea people used anything other than that!

Old 11-19-2013, 11:04 AM

7,355 posts, read 10,233,240 times
The thing is, once you use molasses and brown sugar you are making a shoo-fly pie, with pecans.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:25 AM

3,777 posts, read 5,101,050 times
The Karo syrup recipe above is really very good, but I seem to remember using more butter than just 2 T. Didn't know there is now Karo syrup LITE, might check that out. I haven't used Karo very much since my Mom used it as pancake syrup *smack* it's just too sweet.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:40 AM

18,434 posts, read 31,219,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
The Karo syrup recipe above is really very good, but I seem to remember using more butter than just 2 T. Didn't know there is now Karo syrup LITE, might check that out. I haven't used Karo very much since my Mom used it as pancake syrup *smack* it's just too sweet.
It isn't lite, it's light. There is a dark colored syrup and a light colored syrup.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:49 AM

25,627 posts, read 32,775,695 times
We keep a one gallon bottle of Karo on hand throught the year. Pick it up for cheap at a food service store. We use it to make candies throughout the year. Also comes in handy for a variety of other items.

No one in the extended family or friends can figure out why our candies and sweets taste better than anything they make or they get from the store...... Karo

Old 11-20-2013, 02:06 PM

4,037 posts, read 9,428,699 times
Pecan pie is a variation on treacle tart. Karo Corn Syrup is essentially treacle made from corn rather than cane sugar. You could use molasses as a flavoring, but you can’t replace the corn syrup with molasses—the flavor would be overwhelming, probably inedible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes