Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 06:06 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times

Advertisements

I really love steamed puddings, especially old recipes, that filled the puddings with fat, and dried fruit. One recipe I have, you soak dried fruit in brandy for a day prior to cooking the pudding. And keep adding more alcohol as the fruit plumps up! You use the same soaking alcohol to make a hard sauce for the pudding. It is a delicious, rich, heady dessert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 06:38 AM

48,124 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Default Steamed Pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I really love steamed puddings, especially old recipes, that filled the puddings with fat, and dried fruit. One recipe I have, you soak dried fruit in brandy for a day prior to cooking the pudding. And keep adding more alcohol as the fruit plumps up! You use the same soaking alcohol to make a hard sauce for the pudding. It is a delicious, rich, heady dessert.
My mother used to make a pudding that she wrapped in cloth and boiled in a large canner...I think it had jam inside or sweetened apples and raisins perhaps, and she made a lemon sauce that she poured over it. She was English and I figured it must have been an English recipe or tradition. She also used to make "hard sauce" to go over a steamed fruit cake sort of dessert.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I really love steamed puddings, especially old recipes, that filled the puddings with fat, and dried fruit.
Steamed puddings, both sweet and savoury, rely heavily on suet which is hard to find stateside but is even sold packaged up for easy use in the UK. Probably can easily find it online too! However, if you have a friendly butcher, suet is ground up fat and, if you can persuade him to grind you up a batch from his clean trimmings after the grinder has been cleaned of all flesh, a package will last you forever as you can easily divvy it up and freeze it for later use.

Steak and onion pudding, steak and kidney, apple, treacle (that's Lyle's Golden Syrup), Spotted Dick (simple steamed white pudding with dried currants) - the list is endless and they're not only incredibly delicious but really not hard to make. As long as you have the ingredients, a bowl, a saucepan big enough to hold the bowl, some wax paper or muslin cloth to cover the bowl, some string to secure it - and time at home to make sure the water doesn't evaporate during the slow steaming process, you're all set!

Old 12-23-2013, 05:02 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Going to try to make this for a small dinner party: English Trifle. I had the proper glassware but never a correct recipe.
  1. Slice strawberries and sprinkle them with sugar. Cut the bananas into slices and toss with orange juice. Combine pudding mix with milk and mix until smooth. Cut the cake into 1 inch cubes.
  2. Use half of the cake cubes to line the bottom of a large glass bowl. Layer half of the strawberries followed by half of the blueberries, and then half of the bananas. Spread half of the pudding over the fruit. Repeat layers in the same order.
  3. In a medium bowl, whip the cream to stiff peaks and spread over top of trifle. Garnish with maraschino cherries and slivered almonds.

Is there a recipe with port or brandy?

Old 12-23-2013, 11:57 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
...Is there a recipe with port or brandy?
Oh yeah - we have to put a bit of sherry in our trifle .

Authentic British Trifle

Old 12-24-2013, 12:01 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
I have my Walkers steamed pudding and Bird's Custard ready for Christmas Day.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:48 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Going to run to the grocery store to get extra currents and raisins for the mini mince pies tomorrow. We have a jar of good mincemeat but want to stretch it a bit. Maybe some extra marmalade too.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

Is there a recipe with port or brandy?
Yes, you missed out the best part! When you've got th layer of cake down (lady fingers or stale pound cake are best as they absorb more liquid) liberally douse it with port or sherry. That's the adult version!

Old 12-24-2013, 04:34 AM

48,124 posts, read 21,999,038 times
I just put my baked Indian Pudding in the oven. It will take around 2 hours at 250 to be done. I haven't ever made it before; I worked at a NH restaurant where it was one of their most popular desserts. My son worked there too and we reminisce about that pudding from time to time....he is coming today for the holiday week.....so I looked it up in Yankee Magazine and am making it.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:57 AM

West Indian Pumpkin Souffle was a big hit at my restaurant over the holidays, is really easy to make and is equally delicious served warm or cold:

1 - 29oz can puréed pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup cream of coconut (canned)
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup raisins

Whip up the cream until stiff.
Add the sugar, salt, spices and coconut cream to the purée (you can do this in a food processor).
Fold in the whipped cream, fold in the raisins and pour into a greased casserole dish. Bake for 30 minutes at 350.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes