Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 08:56 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,540 times

Advertisements

I'm going nuts looking for my cookbook, and cant find it. What I'm hoping someone here has, is a certain apple pie recipe from a older bake-off little PB paperback cookbook. It has a bottom and upper crust, and what makes this recipe so unique is it has a custard filling. The only apple pie I've ever had that doesn't need ice cream to make it yummy. It also has a drizzle on top like those frozen toaster strudels. I know it takes heavy cream to make the custard.

Does anyone have it? I've searched all over the internet, and was hoping to make it this Thanksgiving. I'll owe you a big one, if you post it. Plus I can quit tearing my house apart. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 09:15 PM

My emergency might be averted. Unless someone comes up with the original, I found one that sounds close, if not exact, except you don't lattice the top crust. IF this is it, I promise it'll be one of the best pies you've ever had. I cant eat a fruit pie without a ton of ice cream, and the one I'm looking for is to die for without it. Eat while warm, nuke a few seconds if its cooled.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:24 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
It may be a longshot, but check out this recipe (alth. it says custard sauce) - ?

Apple Cake with Warm Vanilla Custard Sauce recipe from Pillsbury.com

NEver realized there were so many variations, lol - w/ cheesecake, sour cream etc - this list may help narrow it down

http://www.dvo.com/pillsbury-bake-off-recipes.html

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 11-24-2013 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: addn'l info

Old 11-24-2013, 10:17 PM

Thank you Honeycrisp, that does sound more saucy than custardy, but looks good. I think the one I posted will be close enough, but I have that icky sense something's off. I'm hoping its that it calls for milk and not just cream. I actually wrote Pillsbury, so maybe I'll get lucky. I just know I'm done looking for it. I found all the other bake-offs books, just not the right one. Who bakes a pie and doesn't put the book back? Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Oh, and I know what you mean about all the recipes!

Old 11-25-2013, 12:06 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
I absolutely know where you're coming from, I misplaced a lasagna recipe not long ago, had found it online once upon a time ago and just had to persevere til I found it, there's a lot of them out there (but youre prob. luckier w/ even more apple pie recipes, lol - alth. prob. not many w/ custard). I know the booklets you're talking about and prob. have a few of them but truthfully it doesnt ring a bell, prob. bc IM not much of a pie baker (pastry baker). But it does sound intriguing, keep us posted and best of luck -

Old 11-25-2013, 06:50 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Shoot Pillsbury an email or give a call they are pretty good with old stuff.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:33 AM

I did Nuts and they responded that they're looking into it. Very nice company to look for me.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:28 AM

I agree.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:04 AM

Pillsbury is the best! They just sent me the recipe with a nice note. Now I call that service.

Hope you try it, its the best! Remember to nuke it just enough to warm the custard before eating. I'm also heavy handed with the vanilla & cinnamon.

Glazed Apple Cream Pie

Rema Conger, Tulsa, Oklahoma

Bake-Off® Contest 37, Finalist

This is a new twist on an apple pie. Everyone likes the creamy layer on the bottom. It’s kind of unexpected.

CRUST

1 pkg. (15 oz.) Pillsbury' Refrigerated Pie Crusts

FILLING

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup whipping cream

1/4 cup butter

2 tablespoons cornstarch

2 tablespoons milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

APPLE LAYER

2 tart baking apples, peeled, cut into thin slices

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

GLAZE

1/2 cup powdered sugar

1 tablespoon milk

1/4 teaspoon vanilla

1 tablespoon butter; softened

Heat oven to 400°F. Prepare pie crust as directed on package for two-crust pie using 9-inch pie pan.

In medium saucepan, combine sugar, 1/2 cup milk, whipping cream and 1/4 cup butter; cook over medium-low heat until butter is melted; stirring occasionally.

In small bowl, combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons milk; blend until smooth. Blend into mixture in saucepan; cook 7 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.

In medium bowl, combine apples, flour and cinnamon; mix well. Pour filling into crust-lined pan. Arrange apple mixture evenly over filling. Top with second crust; seal edges and flute. Cut slits in several places in top crust.

Bake at 400°F for 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Cool 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine all glaze ingredients; blend until smooth. Pour and spread glaze evenly over warm pie. Refrigerate 1 1/2 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator.

8 servings

Old 11-27-2013, 11:59 AM

So glad they could help, I am not surprised. Happy Turkey day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes