Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 09:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times

Advertisements

I mentioned this on a totally unrelated thread and a poster asked if I'd share my recipe which I did via DM. But I thought some of you here might also enjoy it. It's very simple to make, is incredibly delicious and - a big plus - doesn't need to be refrigerated as the rum acts as a great preservative! I use Cruzan rum which is made here in the USVI and I believe is quite widely available on the mainland but you can use whatever suits. I should add though that I've not tried it with a cream rum.

Caribbean Rum Cake (makes 1X 10” bundt pan)

4 cups yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1 box vanilla instant pudding mix
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup water
½ cup rum

Glaze
½ cup salted butter
¼ cup water
1 cup cane sugar
½ cu rum

Preheat oven to 325
Grease and flour bundt pan

Mix together all cake ingredients, pour into bundt pan and bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out dry.

Let cake cool off, then turn out onto a good sized sheet of wax paper.

When cooled off, poke the cake well with a fork, top and sides.

Glaze: Combine all ingredients except for rum in a (preferably) non stick pan and heat to boiling, Turn down heat and let it do a slow simmer boil for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool down. When lukewarm, add the rum, stir well.

A turkey baster works well for the next step of soaking the cake with the glaze. Go slowly and drizzle the glaze over the cake (now you’ll see why the wax paper underneath!) and let it sink into all the holes.

When you're done, fold the drippy wax paper up and over, add more to enclose the cake completely and then either wrap it in foil or put it into a cake tin. De longah she sit de bettah she get! Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 10:03 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
This is SO good! Rich, boozy, juicy...yum. I used to make mini bundt cakes for friends at work, at my old job.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:22 AM

I forgot to mention that the Cruzan rums come in a variety of wonderful fruit flavors as well as the basic light and dark rums. This year I've concentrated on the coconut and mango. I must confess that part of the delight of cooking them is indulging in sips of the rum during the process ...

Old 12-17-2013, 11:16 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
So how far in advance can I make this cake? I was thinking of making it for a party on Saturday.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
So how far in advance can I make this cake? I was thinking of making it for a party on Saturday.
The more in advance the better. As I said, it doesn't need to be refrigerated ...

Old 12-19-2013, 12:57 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
This is very very close to the bacardi rum cakes we make each holiday. I love rum cakes! Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The more in advance the better. As I said, it doesn't need to be refrigerated ...
Okay, so I made the cake, made the glaze and the glaze seems quite runny. Similar recipes said one should reduce the glaze until thick or the cake will be too mushy. I followed the recipe as written - did I bugger up the cake with too thin glaze? It is pooling around the cake quite a bit...

Old 12-20-2013, 05:16 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Us, it is supposed to be that way. It makes the cake moist, it will soak in. Infused cake with booze.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Okay, so I made the cake, made the glaze and the glaze seems quite runny. Similar recipes said one should reduce the glaze until thick or the cake will be too mushy. I followed the recipe as written - did I bugger up the cake with too thin glaze? It is pooling around the cake quite a bit...
Very much doubt you buggered it up. If you drizzle the glaze over the cake S L O W L Y and give it time to be absorbed through the holes you won't have a lot of pooling. In this case, just wrap the wax paper over the whole cake, encase the whole in foil and then turn it upside down. Hic! Cheers!

Old 12-20-2013, 02:33 PM

Ok. I baked until 6am and then I got fed up with the turkey baster and dumped the whole she-bang over the cake. I guess that why I have pooling.

ETA: I wasn't baking the cake until 6 in case anyone is wondering how drunk I was - I was stone cold sober and making teeny tiny meat and mushroom turnovers.

Last edited by netwit; 12-20-2013 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes