U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2013, 09:14 PM

10,167 posts, read 12,851,666 times

Advertisements

You know the problem, new house, new stove, old Christmas cookie recipe you could make in your sleep,
and your first baking session was this week!!! The old standbys burned in the same time the old house, old stove made them perfectly.

I was able to salvage them however....The old cheese grater or just a plain old grater. I grated the burnt part away and it is unnoticeable.

Having a house full on Saturday and I was going to try to scrape them with a knife and then I saw the grater and voila. Perfection again.

Just in case this happens to you give it a try.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 09:52 PM

5,184 posts, read 4,906,428 times
Congratulations on your innovation! Now, you just need to learn your oven.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:32 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,942,272 times
Get an oven thermometer and see if it's registering the right temp. I tested my new oven and it was 25 degrees lower than what I set it at. The oven manual had instructions to adjust the heat setting so now when I put 350, it actually goes to 350. Your oven might actually be hotter than it says.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:54 PM

3,757 posts, read 5,055,510 times
Yes love the cheese grater for "overly browned" cookies

Old 12-20-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Congratulations on your innovation! Now, you just need to learn your oven.
Hate the bloody thing, I am a natural gas girl and we only have propane here. This is electric and convection and two ovens and bells and gongs and whistles. I got as far as shopping for a gas stove and everyone talked me out of it. They said I woild enjoy the non cook top but the oven on propane is very different than the natural gas. I am stuck with a 15 month old stove that I hate. The devil you know is better than th one you don´t.

And I now have a new oven thermometer too.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:50 PM

18,286 posts, read 21,416,559 times
Same adjustment for me this year had gas for 30+ years now I have a new electric here I hate it. The settings were off almost 100º so finally maintenance has it now where it runs 25º hotter. Lots of crunchy cookies this year on the outside trying to get the inside done.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Same adjustment for me this year had gas for 30+ years now I have a new electric here I hate it. The settings were off almost 100º so finally maintenance has it now where it runs 25º hotter. Lots of crunchy cookies this year on the outside trying to get the inside done.

You made my day. Many have said to me, how can you hate a stove?. My simple answer....try cooking a simple pot of rice and once it boils pull it from the burner and go to low and try to cook rice. Then after an eternity at low go to 2 and watch it boil over....then watch me with a razor blade clean my stove!!!!

End of discussion.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:29 PM

18,286 posts, read 21,416,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
You made my day. Many have said to me, how can you hate a stove?. My simple answer....try cooking a simple pot of rice and once it boils pull it from the burner and go to low and try to cook rice. Then after an eternity at low go to 2 and watch it boil over....then watch me with a razor blade clean my stove!!!!

End of discussion.
Oh my word you were in my head????? I never try to hate anything but this new electric stove I hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes