Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 11:21 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Fry up some bacon (or melt some butter, if you prefer) in a skillet and then fry the burgers in the bacon grease or ( the melted butter). That will give the burgers a really good flavor.

If you're trying to cook a burger so it tastes like a McDonald's Quarter Pounder, try adding some MSG - (aka food enhancer) to the burgers. I realize MSG is not healthy, but it's what gives food a flavor that makes a person automatically want to take another bite. If you remember the old Lay's Potato Chip slogan - "Betcha can't eat just one" - that's the MSG doing a "heightened taste sensation" number on your taste buds.
The actual medical evidence on MSG is that it is neither healthy nor unhealthy. The only people it actually seems to be a problem for is certain people who suffer from migraines.

Of course the food blogging world has had MSG as a villain for some time, and web searches will reflect that. In most actual research literature, salt is way worse than MSG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 03:45 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The actual medical evidence on MSG is that it is neither healthy nor unhealthy. The only people it actually seems to be a problem for is certain people who suffer from migraines.

Of course the food blogging world has had MSG as a villain for some time, and web searches will reflect that. In most actual research literature, salt is way worse than MSG.
With all the negative publicity about msg, I'm surprised it hasn't been banned in the United States.

Msg and high fructose corn syrup I try to avoid. Many restaraunts do not serve drinks with hfcs. It's supposedly more unhealthy than msg, but I've never experienced side effects from hfcs. As a rule, I try to avoid it whenever I can.

Except for occasional stops at KFC, I avoid msg for the most part. I always check the ingredients on the labels for msg. It's really surprising how so many foods in the grocery stores are loaded with msg. Unless I request no msg, I'll get a migraine headache right in my eyeballs after eating any kind of Asian food. I call them migraines. I never been diagnosed. They are painful. It feels really good to pressure rub my eyeballs and my temples and the bridge of my nose.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:59 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
With all the negative publicity about msg, I'm surprised it hasn't been banned in the United States...
Well, where do you draw the line? Do you also ban parmesan cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, peas, walnuts, dried kombu? In other words, do you ban any food containing glutamates?

Peanuts aren't banned, and they can cause far more harm than MSG.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:19 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
All I know is this. My husband loves burgers. He loves loves loves Five Guys. But he actually preferns turkey burgers if done in a way he likes, We have several turney burger recipes he enjoys but the folowing is his favorite. But again, after several years I have learned that a simple George Foreman Grill and a little open-mindedness can bring you YOUR perfect burger.

The folllowing makes about 4 burgers.

1 pound ground turkey
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 slices mozzarella cheese
4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
1.Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil grate. Place the ground turkey, onion, cilantro, chipotle chile pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt, and black pepper in a mixing bowl; mix well. Form into 4 patties.
2.Cook the hamburgers on the preheated grill until the turkey is no longer pink in the center, about 4 minutes per side. Place the mozzarella slices on the patties 2 minutes before they are ready. Serve on the toasted buns.

Nutrition info without cheese or buns, per serving: Cal: 151; total fat: 8g; saturated fat: 2g; cholesterol: 60.5mg; sodium: 1,089.5mg; potassium: 132mg; carbohydrate: 2.4g; fiber: 0.8g; sugars: 1.1g; protein: 16,45

Old 01-17-2018, 07:34 PM

155 posts, read 132,524 times
I rather my home cooked burgers taste nothing like a burger joint burger.

My home burgers are ate with no bread or bun. I select nice fresh ground beef and make a 1/2 lb patty and grill or fry it to medium and enjoy it with a couple slices of bacon and a dill pickle usually. Maybe some brown mustard for dip or a small amount of BBQ sauce on the side.

I rarely eat bread, so thus the bare burger is best burger for me.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:28 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,451,518 times
I wouldn't even try. If I want something that tastes like a burger from McDonalds I go to McDonalds.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:37 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
I know what you mean, OP, I think a lot of posters are being tough on you about this.

I believe the reason we can't duplicate that burger is the wonderful grills they use to cook them on, which have been seasoned by the cooking of 1000's of burgers before, like your grandma's precious cast iron skillet.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:48 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Yep - coarse ground, 70/30, chuck, minimally handled, seasoned with salt/pepper, and cooked in a cast iron skillet or cooked over hot coals.
Exactly! Mine are better than any fast food or restaurant but then, I don't like my burger heavily salted.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:33 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Our beef down here is too lean---Brahma-type cows only. A friend with his own burger joint told me this:

Mix in the ground beef:

Raw egg
Finely chopped onion
Garlic powder
Little bit of olive oil
Paprika
Red pepper flakes to taste

I put a little-finger-size hole in the center to avoid shrinkage. Best burger ever! And that wasn't even on the grill---regular ole skillet.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:38 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
Never taste like but sometimes even better. I don't know their spices and they don't know mine. This would be impossible for me to get an exact match for taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes