Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 PM

447 posts, read 1,044,500 times

Advertisements

I put a whole chicken into a crockpot right before bed. You don't need to add water or anything, just a whole chicken.

Cook on low overnite for 8 hours.

In the morning your crockpot is full of chicken and juices. Just debone and use the chicken and stock as the base for your recipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 09:29 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I've made chicken soup several times and it's never been quite right. It tastes alright, but I think it's lacking some flavor. It's also not as thick and creamy as other chicken soups I've had. I just start by boiling a couple of chicken breasts in water. Then I add in bouillon cubes, noodles, carrots and different spices. I'm thinking I should stop using the water and bouillon cubes and just use chicken broth instead. I think the water decreases some of the flavor.

Also, do you think it's better to use dark meat in your chicken soup? Does it have more flavor? How do I make the soup thicker? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
To be honest with you the stuff we buy in supermarket as chicken soup doesnt taste like chicken. Let me tell you how I make it. I buy a whole chicken. I cut it up and pieces (legs, breast, neck, spine, wings) and boil it all, along with the heart and gizzard). I skim the foam then I take the meat out and add carots, parsnips, celery - my mom adds celery roots - potatoes and about 2 table spoons of rice. Or noodles instead of potatoes and rice.

It depends on how you make it. The one with rice we make it sour and add lemon juice when we serve it. The ones with noodles we ate like this.

My advice: put all the meat you get. Chicken breast alone doesn't have much flavor. Dont put cubes. They contain msg.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:35 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I have not tried this but what about using a chicken noodle soup starter kit?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:37 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I have not tried this but what about using a chicken noodle soup starter kit?
Read the ingredients .

I like to make food from scratch. It gets you closer to the food and you know what your eating (well...mostly).

Old 01-11-2014, 01:48 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Read the ingredients .

I like to make food from scratch. It gets you closer to the food and you know what your eating (well...mostly).
LOL - "your eating" - I know, "you're eating." It seems my reading comprehension and my writing ability are both flawed .

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 01-11-2014 at 01:56 AM..

Old 01-11-2014, 05:16 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
My mother makes a good chicken soup and she always uses a whole chicken (which she removes at some point and continues to cook it in the oven). I agree that boneless chicken breasts are not the way to go.

During one of my stints in China, I had a great chicken soup that tasted like my mother's soup and it had a chicken's foot in it (which I didn't eat). So chicken bones definitely seem to add flavor in order to make a tasty chicken soup.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:18 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
I put a whole chicken into a crockpot right before bed. You don't need to add water or anything, just a whole chicken.

Cook on low overnite for 8 hours.

In the morning your crockpot is full of chicken and juices. Just debone and use the chicken and stock as the base for your recipe.
Excellent idea, thanks

Old 01-22-2014, 05:51 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,021 times
Im happy with my chicken soup but I am still going to try some tips in this thread, thanks! One thing I do sometimes is add a little yellow food coloring, esp when using turkey broth. It adds a lot of visual appeal and I get a lot of complements

Old 01-22-2014, 05:59 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,941 times
I always make it in the crock pot. And I don't see anyone mentioning my one key ingredient that I think is the key to flavor. Large cubes of parmesan or romano cheese. Adds tons of flavor and then they are all gooey goodness when you eat the soup.

And I use breast meat.

Here's what I do:

(all veggies are diced pretty large)
about three carrots
one large onion
about three celery ribs
about 1/4 cup diced parsley
1 large chicken breast (I use skinless boneless only because I don't want to pick out bones at the end) (put in raw)
4 or 5 big chunks of parm or romano cheese
about 1 TBS season salt (maybe more, I do not measure, I taste and keep adding until I'm satisfied)
fill with water to cover everything, cook on high for about 8 hours.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:04 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,775,796 times
And One more chicken soup recipe.

1 hen, 1 head of garlic, 1 bunch of flat leaf parsley tied in cheese cloth along with 7-10 whole peppercorns and a couple of bay leaves, I use the multicolored peppercorns.

Bring to boil then simmer til chicken falls off bones, remove chicken I use all the meat set aside skin and bones. While de-boning I make I make sure to toss many pieces to my fur baby. Also I have another bowl set aside for fur kitties.

I cool the broth and when cooled skim off the fat.

Cut up celery in small pieces, peel carrots and cut into small pieces. Taste, usually I add some salt. I bring it to a boil and I use ORZO instead of noodles. I just eyeball the amount. I also add some fresh chopped parsley or even cilantro and or dill towards the end. It depends on my mood as to which one I garnish with. If I have fresh lime I serve that on the side.

Side note, you can add curry powder for a lovely yellow color and it is so rich!! When I do that I add some Dry Sherry to the stock!

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes