Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 10:36 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
I always make it in the crock pot. And I don't see anyone mentioning my one key ingredient that I think is the key to flavor. Large cubes of parmesan or romano cheese. Adds tons of flavor and then they are all gooey goodness when you eat the soup.

And I use breast meat.

Here's what I do:

(all veggies are diced pretty large)
about three carrots
one large onion
about three celery ribs
about 1/4 cup diced parsley
1 large chicken breast (I use skinless boneless only because I don't want to pick out bones at the end) (put in raw)
4 or 5 big chunks of parm or romano cheese
about 1 TBS season salt (maybe more, I do not measure, I taste and keep adding until I'm satisfied)
fill with water to cover everything, cook on high for about 8 hours.

I have a crock-pot chicken soup recipe (using thighs or dark meat though) that calls for the addition of 8 oz cream cheese right at the end of cooking, just long enough to melt through. It's amazing and creamy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 07:04 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
LOL - "your eating" - I know, "you're eating." It seems my reading comprehension and my writing ability are both flawed .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
I put a whole chicken into a crockpot right before bed. You don't need to add water or anything, just a whole chicken.

Cook on low overnite for 8 hours.

In the morning your crockpot is full of chicken and juices. Just debone and use the chicken and stock as the base for your recipe.
I tried this last night, excellent , chicken was falling off the bone , lots of juice, I unplugged went back to bed while it cooled off . Except for peas I use all root veggies , I scrub the carrots instead of peeling them .

Last edited by Supplies; 01-24-2014 at 08:07 AM..

Old 01-25-2014, 12:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
It's all about the details. For a great soup/stew you have to make a great stock...
  1. Keep the wing tips, skin, and bones whenever you roast a chicken or buy a rotisserie chicken. Freeze them until you have two or three chickens worth of "bits."
  2. Toss a chopped large yellow onion, three chopped celery ribs, three chopped carrots, three chopped garlic cloves, two bay leaves, half a teaspoon of thyme, and half a teaspoon of sage in a stock pot with enough water to cover everything plus an inch over.
  3. Boil for four hours and strain.
  4. Toss whatever stays in the strainer - those bits and veggies gave-up their flavor and willingly stay behind.
  5. Chill the stock and remove the top layer of fat after chilling. Don't worry that the rest of the stock has turned to jelly - that means you made some great stock.
Now you have a beautiful stock for any type of chicken soup/stew you can imagine. Notice we didn't add salt - you will determine the amount of salt needed when you use this stock for your soup/stew.
And you can even use breast meat when you make your soup/stew 'cause you already used the most flavorful bits for your stock.

Thats the way i do it.
To the resulting fat free broth i add
Potato
carrot
onion
peas
Chicken pieces
dash of Worcestershire
dash of Soya sauce
dash of Oyster sauce
tsp of miso
tsp of Dashi
sprinkle of Pepper and dried Basil.
Serve with crusty bread
and life is good..

Old 01-28-2014, 07:42 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
I use chicken breasts a lot in cooking and for soups too. The very best base is Minors which I used in my restaurant and continue to use at home. They have a big variety of bases and for substance and quality just can't be beaten.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,433 times
I start with breasts that have skin and a lot of wings. Simmer with a large whole onion, salt and pepper in the amount of water I need in order to add the things that will come later.
When the chicken is very done and the fat in the skin is in my broth I remove the chicken and cool.
Add almost a full stalk of chopped celery, lot of carrots and the chicken minus bones and skin.
Cook until veggies are done,
I will keep adding salt and pepper until I get the taste that we like.
After the broth is perfect, then add egg noodles but don't over cook them.

The fat from the skin is what gives the good flavor and also what makes chicken soup good for a cold or so I have been told about the latter.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:55 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Step away from the chicken breasts. There really is no reason to use them. They are dry & flavorless.
Start with some chicken thighs.

Simmer 4-6 thighs in water or very low sodium broth to cover. If you want to eat it the same day, remove the skin to cut down on the fat. Otherwise, don't worry about it. You can skim off the fat after it is chilled.Use bone-in thighs so you get the flavor & thickening from the bones. You can add bouillon, but I prefer using a tsp or two of low sodium chicken base (like Better than Bouillon brand).Add some cut up carrots, onions, & celery. Add whatever other dry seasonings you want--poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, etc. Let this cook for an hour or so, then remove the chicken & take it off the bone. Add the meat back to your pot, & add some dry noodles--less than you think you'll need. They will increase in size exponentially. If needed, you can supplement the liquid with some more chicken broth or stock. Cook for another half hour or so--taste for seasoning--add salt as needed. Enjoy.
You can also lightly roast or rotissorie whole chickens, separate and make soup from there. (The bigger and fatter the chickens, the better.

And, like my Mother used to do, ass a tablespoonful of schmaltz (rendered chicken fat, think of it as Jewish lard!)

Old 01-29-2014, 07:49 AM

187 posts, read 345,300 times
I'm so glad to have stumbled across this thread! I was thinking just recently that I would not make chicken soup any more cause it's just plain uninteresting.

It sounds like my mistake has been using chicken breasts and avoiding the dark meat. Lesson learned.

I use dried herbs but real garlic. Perhaps another flavor boost would be to use live herbs instead of the kind that come in a little round jar. :-)

Has anyone ever frozen chicken soup with the noodles in it? I'd think the noodles would disintegrate with freezing.

Thanks~

Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 AM

254 posts, read 405,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
like my Mother used to do, ass a tablespoonful of schmaltz
Best typo all week! I needed a laugh this morning, thank you!

Old 01-30-2014, 12:07 PM

254 posts, read 405,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetelf View Post
Has anyone ever frozen chicken soup with the noodles in it? I'd think the noodles would disintegrate with freezing.
Undercook the noodles a bit, they will finish cooking when you heat up your soup

Old 01-30-2014, 02:20 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
...ass a tablespoonful of schmaltz...
Man, I just can't unread that and the mental image won't go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes