U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:20 PM

36,505 posts, read 46,803,943 times

Advertisements

I love turkey but I've never made anything with ground turkey. I know it is very lean and can be dry so I am asking for your favorite recipe with ground turkey which my family will like. DH does not like very spicy food. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 12:27 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,163,518 times
Tonight I'll be eating ground turkey, cooked in a skillet with a chopped up red pepper and onion, seasoned with cayenne pepper.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:39 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,460,094 times
I'll poke my spouse to post his recipe for Knelle (I think that's the spelling - something like that, at least). He mixes ground turkey with breadcrumbs, an egg and herbs, forms the mixture into large meatballs (a couple of inches in diameter), and cooks them in chicken broth. I think he includes sliced onions in the broth, too - can't remember because it's been a while since he made it. It was mighty tasty, very low-fat, and cooking the meatballs in the broth kept the meat very moist and juicy.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:47 PM

40,161 posts, read 19,584,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I'll poke my spouse to post his recipe for Knelle (I think that's the spelling - something like that, at least). He mixes ground turkey with breadcrumbs, an egg and herbs, forms the mixture into large meatballs (a couple of inches in diameter), and cooks them in chicken broth. I think he includes sliced onions in the broth, too - can't remember because it's been a while since he made it. It was mighty tasty, very low-fat, and cooking the meatballs in the broth kept the meat very moist and juicy.
I wonder if its knodel.....or a boiled dumpling.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:22 PM

11,711 posts, read 18,594,642 times
Quenelle - Kitchen Dictionary - Food.com

But I've never made one!

Old 01-16-2014, 10:24 PM

8,349 posts, read 3,121,266 times
I've never made anything with ground turkey before, but I do have a recipe - it's not even a recipe, it's so simple. This is how to make an easy and amazingly delicious Cuban turkey sandwich called The Elena Ruz Sandwich. She was a wealthy Cuban socialite in the 1940s who used to visit a nightclub in Havana, I think. They created a sandwich for her and this is how you make it: Toast two slices of white bread, spread cream cheese on one of the slices and on the other strawberry jam (or any jam you like, or even jelly, I think) and then put one or two slices of turkey deli lunch meat between the two breads and slice diagonally. Great for a light lunch or appetizer for parties.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:58 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,659,559 times
I like to make stuffed green peppers with ground turkey. I just make them the way I make stuffed peppers with ground beef, only using turkey. Turkey chili and Taco Soup are other thoughts.

Another idea is Sloppy Toms, which are just Sloppy Joes but made with Ground Turkey. I sometimes just use Manwich and other times, I make my own sauce. Serve these on a bun with a side of coleslaw.

Not long ago I made a Shephard's Pie with ground turkey and it was really great.

Turkey and Mushrooms.....brown a pound of ground turkey, add a box of chicken rice-a-roni, including the packet in the box, add 4 cups of water, 2/3 can cream of chicken soup, black pepper to taste. (Also need 1 box fresh sliced white mushrooms but add these last - see below). Bring it to a boil and cover and reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 12 minutes or until rice is tender. Add the sliced fresh mushrooms and cook another 4 to 5 minutes.

I like to add lots of spices to ground turkey, like garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt and Worcestershire sauce to give it more taste and to cover the slightly off taste it sometimes has.

I've been cooking with ground turkey for years and years and hardly ever cook with ground beef. I just substitute turkey in place of ground beef.

Last edited by rural chick; 01-17-2014 at 06:14 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 09:46 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,605,941 times
Ground turkey Meatloaf! Just make a regular meatlof but substitute ground turkey. One of our favorites.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:00 AM

77,168 posts, read 89,928,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I love turkey but I've never made anything with ground turkey. I know it is very lean and can be dry so I am asking for your favorite recipe with ground turkey which my family will like. DH does not like very spicy food. Thanks.
I don't have a favorite recipe, I just use it in place of ground beef periodically, but I will warn you, check the fat %, not all ground turkey is that much less fat than regular ground beef. I love it in chili for one thing.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:03 AM

35,106 posts, read 43,424,396 times
Go to food network website and look up the dish Piccadillo (not sure of the proper spelling).
Anyway, when you find the recipe by Daisy Fuentes/Rachael Ray change a couple of the ingredients like I did and make it a lighter dish.
Use tomato juice instead of tomato paste and use ground pork or turkey instead of ground beef, I also use brown rice instead of white rice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or