U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:01 AM

18,699 posts, read 26,470,370 times

Advertisements

I am broke until Friday and have a bunch of chicken bones and chicken jelly that I wanted to turn into broth today in the pressure cooker and can up. Yesterday I cooked up 10 pounds of chicken leg quarters, and took the meat off of them. I put the drippings into the fridge, which I'm sure is jelly now. I'll scrape the fat off the top of the bowl of jelly, throw that into the pressure cooker with all the bones.

Normally, I just hunt the freezer and cupboard for ingredients to throw in, but I ALWAYS throw in a good portion of carrots, celery, onion & garlic (unless the broth is for dog food - then no onion or garlic, as it's supposedly bad for them).

The only carrots I have right now are home canned, pretty sliced up ones that I don't want to use for broth. BUT, I have a bunch of fresh butternut squash. Do you think it would be weird to use butternut squash in the broth instead of carrots?

Any other ideas?

What I have on hand:

large butternut squash
several large onions
minced raw garlic in jar
(this broth batch is for me, so onion and garlic are okay to use)
frozen raw celery stalks
raw potatoes - both white and red
cream and kernel corn in cans
and a bunch of different kinds of spices.

Would appreciate any advice and tips on using what I have. The only other option is to freeze up the jelly and bones and wait until Friday to buy carrots.

I don't mind things tasting different than normal, I just don't want it to be really weird LOL!

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 09:06 AM

1,325 posts, read 3,087,540 times
I think the squash will add a "sweetness", the same as a carrot but it won't taste the same. If you like the taste of squash, I would go for it. Another option would be to make it as usual, minus the carrot, and when you are going to use the broth, just simmer carrot in before using it. When I am making soup and have to use canned stock or broth, I always simmer it first with my vegetables and spices to give it more flavor.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:27 AM

254 posts, read 343,976 times
I would just skip the carrots and just proceed as usual, also

Old 01-27-2014, 11:48 AM

4,037 posts, read 9,395,824 times
I would never put corn, squash or potatoes in broth. Save them for the actual soup.

For stock/broth you only want “aromatic” vegetables: celery, carrots, onions (or similar, like leeks), and possibly peppers. The point of the vegetables is to flavor the broth and then be discarded. Pre-cooked carrots don’t do that and would be a wasted addition. The only other things I add are salt, whole peppercorns and bay leaves.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:58 AM

41,046 posts, read 50,786,372 times
Most butternut squash soup has chicken broth in the recipe, so why not just make it instead? Just leave out the carrot.

Butternut Squash Soup.
Ingredients:

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 onion, diced
4 cups cubed butternut squash, fresh or frozen
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Method:

Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add carrot, celery and onion. Cook until vegetables have begun to soften and onion turns translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in butternut squash, thyme, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until squash is fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Use an immersion blender to purée soup. Alternatively, let the soup cool slightly and carefully purée in batches in an upright blender.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:16 PM

7,672 posts, read 10,953,488 times
I would think it would thicken or dissolve a bit in the stock clouding it up. If this is okay, then go for it. I would just omit the carrots.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:17 PM

41,335 posts, read 19,742,147 times
just skip the carrots.....for the broth. Like others said...if you want them in the soup....add them then. Your canned carrots will do the broth No Good!

Old 01-27-2014, 02:26 PM

18,699 posts, read 26,470,370 times
Thanks so much everyone! The verdict is in - just leave the carrots out. Easy peasy.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the butternut squash soup recipe!!!! I have all the ingredients, except fresh thyme - but I do have dried thyme. I'll make the broth first, so I can use it in the butternut soup!

Old 01-27-2014, 03:29 PM

41,046 posts, read 50,786,372 times
Cool. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,622,288 times
Parsnips and turnips , oven roasted first .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes