Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 04:51 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been able to reproduce the original (70's and 80's) Pizza Hut thin and crispy dough recipe? I've seen a few recipes but they call for the addition of cake flour and pre-baking the crusts. Cake flour wasn't used in the recipe back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 05:00 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,267,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
For many reason we have decided to not order delivery pizza again so I'm making pizzas at home. However my crust is downright chewy. I've tried 3 different recipes and they all turn out too chewy/gummy. I don't have alot of experience with yeast but I always make sure it is fresh. Also can't get the dough to double like it is supposed to. I set the oven to 200 then turn it off and set dough in there but it still doesn't seem to rise right. Also I have tried prebaking the crust like some recipes suggest, letting it cool and them putting all the toppings on.

I am happy with my sauce which basically is commercial spaghetti sauce with extra spices and tomato paste to thicken it up. The family likes this.

Anybody have any hints or recipes I might try? Many thanks.
I follow the Mark Bittman recipe, except I mix it by hand not a food processor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/di...gh-recipe.html

If in a hurry I just use the Pillsbury pizza crust mix - just add warm water!

Old 02-27-2014, 06:19 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,211 times
My best friend knew I was looking for a good pizza dough recipe so she sent this site to me. My friend has made this several times and says she loves this recipe but I haven't yet made this recipe. I will be making at least the cheese-garlic sticks this weekend (since it's going to snow up to 8 inches) and will let you know how they turn out. I particularly like the idea of putting the dough on parchment and transferring it to a pizza stone. I have a convection Jenn-Air oven which I can crank up to over 500 degrees so I imagine it will crisp nicely.

Lauren's Latest » Fail-Proof Pizza Dough and Cheesy Garlic Bread Sticks {just like in restaurants!}

Old 02-27-2014, 06:26 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
I happen to be making pizza last night and looking at the recipe it clearly said the water has to be *110. I looked at several others and they all said the same thing. Out of curiosity OP, which 3 recipes did you have? I am wondering if it's from one of the sites listed in the Web Recipes Failures thread.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:42 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,279,929 times
When you want dough to rise (pizza, bread, etc.) I cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in the microwave oven. For some reason, when you put it in the microwave with the door closed (not on), it rises every time. I'm thinking because it's in a small contained area.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:51 AM

986 posts, read 1,666,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
Thank you for posting this link. I like thin crust pizza the best but I will try this for a change. It sounds good! I like the idea of brushing the crust with garlic butter. I usually put lots of garlic on top of the sauce but both places would be even better.

I typically bake my crust a bit before putting on the sauce. When you used this recipe, did you by chance pre-bake the crust a little while? Thanks.
I honestly don't remember but more than likely I did. I hate gummy undone pizza crust!

Old 02-27-2014, 01:12 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
OK husband the engineer was looking at recipes and his question is valid. If you wrap the dough ball in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge or anywhere else for that matter, how is it supposed to double in size? huh...huh...huh...? Surely they mean put in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap> I've seen several recipes which say form a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and let rise.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:16 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Quote:
OK husband the engineer was looking at recipes and his question is valid. If you wrap the dough ball in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge or anywhere else for that matter, how is it supposed to double in size? huh...huh...huh...? Surely they mean put in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap> I've seen several recipes which say form a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and let rise.
I had asked earlier but where are you getting these recipes? Most I've seen say in an oiled bowl covered in a damp towel or plastic wrap....

Old 02-27-2014, 02:13 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I had asked earlier but where are you getting these recipes? Most I've seen say in an oiled bowl covered in a damp towel or plastic wrap....
ummm somewhere on the internet. I'll look later for you. Mostly I google on my nexus in the kitchen and don't save them.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:28 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,309 times
Quote:
Don't wrap it in plastic. Roll the ball dough in an oiled bowl (so the dough has oil on all sides of it) and then loosely put plastic wrap on top of the bowl, or you could put a lint-free towel on top of the bowl. It will rise in the fridge (overnight or at least for 8+ hours, since dough will rise slower when it's cold than when it's warm), or you can let it rise on the counter or in your oven (which will be faster than the fridge).

If the recipe is telling you to wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap, then you need to use a different recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes