Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 01:14 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

I can't believe I did this.

I put a turkey breast into the crock pot, seasoned it, covered it up, and plugged it in. Then I put a turkey back into the oven to roast it toasty brown to make turkey gravy.

I just went to check on the bones in the oven and discovered I had plugged the crock pot in, but hadn't turned it on.

So much for the turkey cottage pie planned for dinner tonight. That just became dinner for tomorrow night. Tonight is something quick and easy. Probably bacon mushroom burgers.

For penance for my carelessness, I get to stay up late tonight to take the turkey out when it is done and wait for it to cool enough to be put into the fridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 01:19 PM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Things happen:>) I have a blackboard in the kitchen and keep notes of what is on in the kitchen and in SO's garage.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:26 PM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
That's funny, the ONLY thing you have to do IS turn it on. I'm laughing with you, not at you.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:42 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
You had ONE job.....ONE!!!! hehehe.... I recall a post I saw on here around Christmas where a lady had put that night's supper in the crockpot and dashed out the door to go Christmas shopping with her friend. She was expecting to come home to a hot, delicious meal after a long, harrowing day of spending money EXCEPT she had turned the dial to warm - and so, her dinner was ruined. Hey, stuff happens. I guess that's why satan made McDonald's!!

PS....AND...you were brave enough to confess to the toughest critics you'll never meet!!

Old 03-05-2014, 01:46 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,108,580 times
Lol . . . I did that a couple of weeks ago. No soup for me!

Old 03-07-2014, 11:20 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I was up until midnight, getting it all processed and put away. However, I made the turkey cottage pie last night and it was well worth all the extra work I caused for myself.

Diced white turkey, small cubes of yellow crookneck squash, lots of sliced mushrooms. Some carrot and celery. All drowned in tons of excellent turkey gravy, topped with mashed potatoes and baked until it was bubbly.

The day I cooked the turkey, my son came home from work and said, "That smells wonderful". I then told him, he wasn't getting it. He was getting a hamburger instead.

When I served the turkey pie, he announced that it was well worth the extra wait.

The gravy turned out exceptionally well. I roasted the backs until they were browned and crispy and then put them in a stock pot, covered with water and some onion and celery leaves. Because the turkey had to cook an additional four hours, the broth simmered all that extra time.

I strained the broth, chilled to remove the fat, and thickened it with flour and corn starch. It was delicious and had a nice color from all the browning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes