Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 07:41 AM

48,131 posts, read 22,004,457 times

Advertisements

At my church we have a chili cook-off. I am not sure when it will be scheduled this year and hopefully someone will be taking care of the logistics. Last year my chili won 1st Price.... a beef chili with beer, cocoa, and coffee for extra flavor.....it was really good.

This year I wanted to do something different! I just tried out the Pioneer Womans white chicken chili and it turned out very good. I need to adjust the seasoning just a smidge as I got a little "happy" with the cumin powder....but it is good. Usually white chili isn't a winner (from my experience) but often there are folks who appreciate something different and not based on red meat.

I think I am going to make a clam chili (I was born in MA and have lived in RI, NH and Maine.....so I come by using "quohogs" naturally. I cant say I have ever had a clam chili...but the recipe I found is pretty much like the chicken chili except for a few ingredients and lots less cooking time and prep work. Clam Chili | Sea Watch International

I ordered my canned sea clams today so I will be all ready when they put out the call for entries.

Has anyone here ever had or made clam chili? If so.....how did you like it.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 07:45 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
I've never had it and it's definitely different! Only thing I noticed in that recipe was you add the clams just before serving. Are you going to take the clams with you to Church and add it just before the judges come to taste it? If not I would imagine they would toughen up if left for too long at serving temperature.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I've never had it and it's definitely different! Only thing I noticed in that recipe was you add the clams just before serving. Are you going to take the clams with you to Church and add it just before the judges come to taste it? If not I would imagine they would toughen up if left for too long at serving temperature.
I am using "quohogs" which are large sea clams, traditonally used in RI for Chowder and other dishes that cook a long time.......I am trusting that they wont toughen up too much.....I know my mom used to make quohog chowder for church suppers and they were left cooking for hours and didn't get tough.

But you are right about the recipe.....maybe I will add them just before leaving home with the chili in the crockpot.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:16 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Serving clams up in chili is, in my opinion, a total waste of time and money as the taste of the clams is completely obliterated by the seasonings. A few years ago an entrant in our local chili cook-off (a chef at a large resort) created a lobster chili. The Executive Chef brought me the recipe in advance and asked me to take a look and see what I thought of it. I happily obliged and, after reading it, told him that in my opinion it was a total waste of good lobster and and wasn't likely to taste at all good.

There were close to 100 participating cooks and I did get to taste the lobster chili and it was a bad as I anticipated. There were big chunks of lobster in it but they were just that - chunks of tender meat but no lobster flavor at all. Obviously an opinion shared by the huge crowd as the garbage container closest to their booth was full of tasting cups barely touched - and at the end of the afternoon they couldn't even give it away!

Cheers!

Old 03-07-2014, 02:38 PM

STT I hope that you are wrong about the recipe. There is a big difference between lobster and quohogs.....the former is delicate and hardly needs any cooking or seasoning and the later is a popular chowder clam.....that can stand up to spicy linguica and chorico sausages with which it is frequently cooked in Rhode Island.

I appreciate your consultation....but I think I will go with it.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:15 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
STT I hope that you are wrong about the recipe. There is a big difference between lobster and quohogs.....the former is delicate and hardly needs any cooking or seasoning and the later is a popular chowder clam.....that can stand up to spicy linguica and chorico sausages with which it is frequently cooked in Rhode Island.

I appreciate your consultation....but I think I will go with it.
Lived in New England for many years and miss those quahogs! Hope it turns out well!

Old 03-07-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Lived in New England for many years and miss those quahogs! Hope it turns out well!

Thank you STT. I think it will turn out well and be something different on a line up of chili offerings. There is usually a couple of white chilies and some red chilies ....some made with grd meat others with cubed. The clam chili will be a tip of the hat to where we lived before moving to Florida....MAINE.

BTW, your story about the lobster chili reminded me that I did make a lobster gazpacho a couple of times for summertime family gatherings......and it was out of sight....one of my most favorite lobster recipes....used a pound of picked lobster meat and fresh local herbs and veggies in a cold tomato juice broth...... served it in a punch bowl.....it was loaded with big chunks of lobster.....and everyone loved it.

I wanted to make a Cincinnati Chili ..... one of my favs from growing up in Cincy.....BUT handling the spaghetti and cheese and onions in addition to the chili was too complicated.

Last edited by elston; 03-07-2014 at 04:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes