Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2007, 10:53 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,721 times

Advertisements

There are something like 50 ingredients in the authentic prepartion of this dish. And I know the chocolate has to have a hint of cinnamon.

Would you be so kind and share your recipe of this dish? I absolutely love chicken mole. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 10:32 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,112,414 times
How to make a mean chicken mole

I have never tried it, but I researched a little, and this was a very mexican web site, and seemed authentic. I've heard that it is hard to make, and I can beleive it because there are a lot of ingedients involved. I'm still not sold on chocolate and chicken, but I am often surprised at how well certain flavors work together, when used in the right amounts. Good Luck Jhlcomp.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the info - actually the flavor is amazingly good and really needs the chocolate. :-)

Old 12-12-2007, 04:35 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,550,511 times
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't there peanut butter in Chicken Mole as well with chocolate?

Old 12-12-2007, 05:48 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,112,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't there peanut butter in Chicken Mole as well with chocolate?

the recipe calls for peanuts, maybe peanut butter could be used.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:50 PM

I have never heard of peanuts in this recipe.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:59 PM

739 posts, read 830,283 times
QUICK CHICKEN MOLE IN TORTILLAS
2 medium size onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup canned green chiles, chopped
2 tablespoons each sesame seeds and dryroasted unsalted peanuts
1/4 teaspoon each of ground cinnamon, cloves
1 teaspoon each of ground cumin and dried oregano
2 tablespoons ground chili powder
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 2inch long by 1/3inch strips
1/2 pound smoked skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2inch long by 1/3inch strips
1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, grated or cut into fine pieces
8 large flour tortillas
Sour cream, and chopped cilantro for garnish, optional
Saute the onions and garlic in the oil for about 10 minutes or until tender. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth and green chilis and simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Meanwhile in a dry iron skillet toast the sesame seeds and peanuts for a few minutes or until they begin to smell roasted, then add the cinnamon, cloves, cumin, oregano and chili powder and toast for a few seconds. Remove and cool slightly, then puree with the raisins to form a paste.
Add the chicken to the sauce and simmer 3 minutes to cook through; add the smoked chicken and simmer another 3 minutes to warm through. Add the chocolate and simmer a minute until melted. Stir in the paste and simmer until thickened to the proper consistency. Meanwhile warm the tortillas on the oven.
To assemble, put some spoonfuls of chicken and sauce in the middle of a warm tortillas and roll up, top with more spoonfuls of sauce, sour cream and cilantro.
Yield: 4 servings

Old 03-14-2008, 04:24 PM

187 posts, read 589,138 times
This is actually for Turkey Mole but certainly roasted chicken works fine:
TURKEY MOLE
Sauce:
12 oz dried red chile pods, preferably a mix of anchos, mulatos & pasillas
6 TBL sesame seeds
4 TBL peanut oil
3/4 cup sliced almonds
6 garlic cloves, with skins on
6 small tomatoes, preferably Romas or other plum type, whole & unpeeled
2 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock
Juice of 1 orange
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 medium onion, chopped
1 day old tortilla torn into quarters
2 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 1/2 oz Mexican chocolate, preferably Ibarra (or an equal amt of bittersweet chocolate with a pinch of cinnamon)
1 canned chipotle chile, optional
1 tsp ground canela (Mexican cinnamon) or regular cinnamon
1 tsp anise seeds, toasted & groun
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted & ground
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cloves

Preheat oven 300°. Break the stems off the chiles & remove the seeds. Rinse the chiles & transfer them to a baking sheet. Tost them for about 5 minutes, watching to make sure they don't burn. Turn off the oven. Transfer the chiles to a large saucepan & cover them w/water. Simmer over medium heat about 30 minutes until the chiles are softened.
While the chiles simmer, prepare the seeds & nuts in a large, heavy skillet on top of the stove. First, toast the sesame seeds over medium heat. Watch them carefully. The seeds are done when fragrant, lightly browned & popping merrily, a matter of several minutes. Don't let them burn. Spoon the seeds into a blender. Add 2 TBL of the oil to the warm skillet & stir in the almonds. saute until the almonds are lightly colored & fragrant. Transfer them to the blender.
Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel & increase the heat to medium-high. Scatter the garlic in the skillet, turning the cloves occasionally so that they soften & darken on all sides, a matter of a few minutes. Remove the garlic from the skillet & set it aside. Add the tomatoes to the skillet, turning occasionally as they soften & darken. The skinds will split a bit during the process. Remove the tomatoes & set them aside until they are cool enough to handle.
Remove the skins from the garlic & tomatoes, stem the tomatoes & add borth to the blender.
Pour about 1 1/2 cups of the stock into the blender. Puree the mixture for 2-3 minutes. The mixture will become smooth but a little grainy. Pour it into a large bowl.
Drain most of the liquid from the chiles, reserving 1 cup of the liquid. Put the chiles & about 1/2 cup of the reserved liquid into the blender & puree 1-2 minutes. Pour the chiles into the bowl of pureed tomatoes & almonds.
Add the remaining sauce ingredients to the blender & puree 2-3 minutes. This mixture, too, will become smooth but a little grainy. Pour it into the bowl & stir the mixtures together.
Wipe out any tomato residue from the skillet & add the remaining oil. Warm the oil over medium heat. Spoon in the mole suace & fry it for about 10 minutes, stirring up from the bottom constantly. The sauce should be thick but spoonable. Mix in a little of the reserved chile cooking liquid if it seems too thick. Cool & refrigerate the sauce for later reheating or serve immediately.
Arrange the turkey slices on a serving platter & top generously w/the mole. Surround the dish with sprigs of cilantro if you like & sprinkle w/minced cilantro & onion. From "Texas Home Cooking"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes