Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 01:49 AM

123 posts, read 295,688 times

Advertisements

We've tried a couple recipies and tried with some slight alterations but the bread doesn't cook fully. Instead of the normal porous bread texture it has a solid airless puddy like form. No clue why, does anyone know? Tried two settings, basic and whole wheat, (making gluten free - so far used rice, fava bean, and coconut flours) cooking time by the machine was over 3 hours for each. Only major difference from recipe is egg replacer instead of egg. Also tried flax instead of egg on one occasion.

Also at one point in the cooking process it rises to the point of overflowing inside the machine slightly. I don't know if that's the same issue. Use a little less yeast to fix that maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 01:56 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
When a recipe calls for egg you cannot substitute it with just anything and expect same results. Flax seed in particular won't cut it. The "egg replacement" should state on carton how many ounces of product equal one whole egg.

Next you are probably using incorrect flour for bread making via machine. You'll need either white "bread machine", whole wheat, or even all purpose white flour depending upon the sort of bread you are making, These can often be combined within certain recipes.

It sounds like your bread is not developing gluten, which isn't surprising since you aren't using traditional white flours. Without some sort of gluten you won't get a traditional type of bread. There isn't anything to form a structure for yeast to raise.

Purchased this book when I got my bread machine years ago because it came highly rated. Hasn't let me down yet.
The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook: A Master Baker's 300 Favorite ... - Beth Hensperger - Google Books

Most every bread machine comes with recipes including for a small "test" loaf of white bread. I'd try following that and see if results are better. If so then you know it isn't the machine but what you are doing.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:07 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choo_choo_train_lol View Post
(making gluten free - so far used rice, fava bean, and coconut flours) cooking time by the machine was over 3 hours for each. Only major difference from recipe is egg replacer instead of egg. Also tried flax instead of egg on one occasion.
Just to emphasize what BugsyPal said, using those flours IS a major difference from the recipe. Unlike other kinds of cooking, baking is all about chemistry, and both ingredients list and measurements need to be followed pretty carefully to get desired results.

I think you're going to need to seek out specialized recipes specifically designed for gluten-free baking. I don't see much potential in trying to adapt regular baking recipes, given the abject failures you've produced so far.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:32 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
It's difficult to come up with a loaf of gluten free bread. I've seen recipes for gluten-free bread in the bread machine but I haven't tried them.

I can make bread, but it is tricky. It is like making a quick bread and not a raised yeast loaf. A loaf generally won't get done in the middle before it is overdone at the edges. So, I make bread rolls and those turn out OK.

You will probably need Xanthan gum and a pretty generous amount of baking soda or baking powder for leavening. Yeast doesn't give a good rise without gluten.

If you like the taste of rye bread, Bob's Red Mill makes a gluten-free bread mix that works well. It doesn't have rye, but tastes like rye bread to me, and I don't like rye bread, so I don't buy the mix. But anyway, buy one of those, follow the directions exactly, and you will see how different it is to make gluten-free bread. It is nothing like making a yeast rising bread.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:34 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Toss the bread machine would be my fix however, if you like your bread machine perhaps it is the specific dough you are using.
Is there a certain setting for gluten free baking if that is what you are baking?
Are you in a higher altitude and have to adjust that way?

Old 03-20-2014, 01:12 AM

123 posts, read 295,688 times
Many years ago I made gluten free rice flour bread with a bread machine daily and it came out great every time. I am using a different bread machine, was $5 at a local charity store.

I have used recipies designed for bread machines, and a recipe on a Bobs Red Mill package. The only difference is lack of eggs. I'm willing to try with eggs if it would be necessary to fix the problem. (but would prefer to eat vegan)

Thank you for the replies everyone.

Quote:
I think you're going to need to seek out specialized recipes specifically designed for gluten-free baking.
That is exactly what I have done, actually. I'll keep trying though!

Old 03-20-2014, 10:50 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choo_choo_train_lol View Post
Many years ago I made gluten free rice flour bread with a bread machine daily and it came out great every time. I am using a different bread machine, was $5 at a local charity store.

I have used recipies designed for bread machines, and a recipe on a Bobs Red Mill package. The only difference is lack of eggs. I'm willing to try with eggs if it would be necessary to fix the problem. (but would prefer to eat vegan)

Thank you for the replies everyone.

That is exactly what I have done, actually. I'll keep trying though!
Quote:
Also at one point in the cooking process it rises to the point of overflowing inside the machine slightly.
Um yeah I think it's your machine. I am puzzled though how it rose almost out of the machine but you aren't using yeast. What did you use to make it rise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes