Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 07:04 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

Since I closed my restaurant I have a little home catering business and prepare one entrée a week for Friday delivery/pick up. Good Friday's offering is a simple but delicious fish pie, a fishy variation of the traditional Shepherd's Pie.

Firm white fish (tuna, mahi-mahi or similar) cut into chunks (1/4-1/2lb per person)
Heavy cream
A good lobster base (Minor's is my choice)
Dash of hot pepper sauce or cayenne (optional)

A mix of red and white potatoes
Milk
Minced garlic
Salt, black pepper

Grated sharp Cheddar cheese

Put the fish into a heavy saucepan, add heavy cream about half way up the fish, and lobster base. Bring to a boil, gently stirring; turn off heat, add hot sauce/cayenne if desired, cover and leave to cool.

Wash and cut (don't peel) the potatoes, boil in salted water until tender, drain. Add lots of butter, minced garlic and pepper to taste. Mash with milk.

In an oven-proof dish, top the fish base with the mashed potatoes, smother with the Cheddar and pop into a 350 oven until the cheese is melted. (You can make ahead and also microwave to heat).

Serve with a salad for a delicious meal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 08:16 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Thanks STT! Keep those catering recipes coming!

Questions: How many potatoes or #'s of potatoes? How much cheese? Is the milk whole or 2%?

Can you prepare ahead, refrigerate and then bake through?

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Thanks STT! Keep those catering recipes coming!

Questions: How many potatoes or #'s of potatoes? How much cheese? Is the milk whole or 2%?

Can you prepare ahead, refrigerate and then bake through?

Thanks!
# of potatoes depends on how much of the fish base you're making - I usually figure on the equivalent of one LARGE potato for each serving. Cheese - figure on 1/2 cup per serving and definitely whole milk but you can use 2% if that's what you usually have around. Yes, it can definitely be prepared ahead. When I package it up for my customers it's made ahead and I put each component into a separate container so they can put it together in their own baking dishes.

Sorry to be vague with quantities but I'm a "handful of this and a handful of that" cook!

Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,887 times
Forget making your recipe , I'd rather go to the Virgin Islands and pick one up

Old 04-15-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Forget making your recipe , I'd rather go to the Virgin Islands and pick one up
No problem - let me know when you're coming and it can be arranged!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes